Phone mounts... Quadlock, SP Connect, SKS Compit...

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
First up, I generally don't like my phone attached to my bike and prefer carrying it in my pocket or a backpack – especially when riding trails.
On the other hand it an be very handy to have the phone in direct reach and use it to navigate on a tour.
So what's your opinion on the matter? As far as I can see there are three main competitors with decent bike phone mount solutions on the market:

1. SP Connect advertises a special "Handlebar Mount Pro MTB" to reduce vibrations - sounds good, but the bundle is the most expensive at almost € 100 for phone case and mount.
2. Quadlock is well known (good marketing?) and not quite as expensive, but doesn't seem to have a special MTB version.
3. SKS is rather known for their mud guards and other bicycle accessories, but they also have a phone case and mount line called "Compit", which seems to work similarly to the other two. The compit system is considerably cheaper. Apart from the classical handlebar and stem mounts they also have a more universal top tube mount (less vibrations and better crash protection?).

So my question: who uses one of these three options or has even tested several of them? Any recommendations? Handlebar or top tube? Thanks for your opinion!

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I use this. No issues holding my Samsung Galaxy S23 which is used with OS 1:25k mapping.

ROCKBROS Bike Phone Holder 360° Rotatable Universal Bicycle Motorcycle Phone Mount for iPhone 12, 12 Pro Max, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max Xs X 8 8P 7 7P, Samsung S10 S9 S8, Huawei, All 4.2-6.8 Devices: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
Screenshot_20231105_155635_Chrome~2.jpg

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I use a Quad lock, and have done for a while, to mount an old Pixel 3XL phone that I use to navigate with an OS Maps navigation app. Although they don't list a MTB specific mount the basic handlebar mount is very sturdy.
The only problem is that they may not make a cover for your phone.

If you use an iPhone you may want to check if it's safe to use a handlebar mount as I think I've read that vibration can damage the camera.

Last edited:

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
If you use an iPhone you may want to check if it's safe to use a handlebar mount as I think I've read that vibration can damage the camera.
That's exactly one of my concerns. Apple published a warning concerning possible camera damage, albeit not using it on a bicycle, but on a motorbike, where high speed vibrations can cause issues apparently. That's why I'd possibly rather go with a MTB specific mount.

So how does everyone else carry their phones while biking? Anyone using SP Connect or SKS Compit?

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Looking at the Quadlock site they list a vibration damper in the motorbike section that some reviewers mention work for their iPhones.

Tombie

Mar 11, 2023
Whyalla
Looking at the Quadlock site they list a vibration damper in the motorbike section that some reviewers mention work for their iPhones.

I run that unit with my phone on my litre bike. Prior to it I wrecked a phones focus mech.

I use the same on the MTB because the vibrations at times wouldn’t be far off and don’t want to take the chance.

Shorty4

Nov 7, 2022
Australia
We've been using Quadlock mounts for about 4 years on three different bikes, total mileage is way in excess of 15,000km, about half on singletrack and downhill, the rest cross country touring on back roads and firetrails. Four different phones between my wife and myself, a Sony, two Pixels and an older iphone and all have survived despite a few big offs with one of the Pixels only once parting company with the bike when my knee smacked it on the way past during an OTB episode.
The Sony never complained about being wet in rain but the Pixels keep giving messages about excesive moisture or debris in the USB port when its raining heavily.
We also have Quadlock mounts in both cars and our campervan.

Gilers140

Oct 3, 2022
Wiltshire
First up, I generally don't like my phone attached to my bike and prefer carrying it in my pocket or a backpack – especially when riding trails.
On the other hand it an be very handy to have the phone in direct reach and use it to navigate on a tour.
So what's your opinion on the matter? As far as I can see there are three main competitors with decent bike phone mount solutions on the market:

1. SP Connect advertises a special "Handlebar Mount Pro MTB" to reduce vibrations - sounds good, but the bundle is the most expensive at almost € 100 for phone case and mount.
2. Quadlock is well known (good marketing?) and not quite as expensive, but doesn't seem to have a special MTB version.
3. SKS is rather known for their mud guards and other bicycle accessories, but they also have a phone case and mount line called "Compit", which seems to work similarly to the other two. The compit system is considerably cheaper. Apart from the classical handlebar and stem mounts they also have a more universal top tube mount (less vibrations and better crash protection?).

So my question: who uses one of these three options or has even tested several of them? Any recommendations? Handlebar or top tube? Thanks for your opinion!
My wife and I use quadlock on all our bikes, brilliant!

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz

When I have my phone on the handlebars, this is my good system, and cheap

IMG_20231111_170341.jpg shopping.jpeg IMG_20231112_110555.jpg

Last edited:

sulsj

Aug 2, 2023
California, USA
I have been using a knock off mount for many years and very satisfied. I use a cheapest phone case with the mount. I change the case for a riding and mount the phone.
1000007118.png

I originally got the quad lock to do easy Trail riding with the Mrs. Plug in the Trail forks and do something you hadn’t done before - trouble. Was I never took it off, and I rode a lot of Trail since then about 10,000 K! I had a couple nasty accidents - end over end, with no damage to my phone or the quad lock, and the phone only came off once … which I think was a good thing.

So, thumbs up from me. Seems to be a quality product however – on my iPhone, I like using a matte screen protector, and I can’t get one that fits with the case as it’s too large and the case comes over just another half a millimetre – standard glass screen protector works fine with the case.

Best of luck

PureFM

Sep 26, 2023
45°S New Zealand
I have my phone in my pocket or bum bag when I'm goofing around on the hill. Having said that I use a Mous case and bike mount if I'm riding sedate trails with my wife. My phone lives in the Mous case as it is well protected (except the screen).

IOUZIP

Jun 8, 2022
USA
4 years using Quadlock mounts. IMO best out there. I have used the other Quadlock motorcycle mounts too which depending on your handlebars works well. I see you have a Levo so I will show you how I have my phone mount setup on my Levo. Mounting next to the stem protects the phone. I do have a 50mm riser bar and 35mm handlebar. For those rides when the phone battery will not last I use an Anchor 5000 mah power bank and 1 ft USB cable. It is held in place by a handlebar flashlight mount. The Quadlock phone cases can be hard to get the phone in and out.

1699872108439.png

1699872159109.png

1699873082420.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles