Pedal Strikes

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Give the guy a break, he's most likely not "inept"

He might be getting pedal strikes during normal riding, if he's quite heavy and the bike sinks into its travel easily.
Volume spacers in the fork and (obviously) more air in the shock will help.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Why would you put volume spacers in the fork if the rear shock blows through travel? And why would you add air to the rear shock is sag was correctly set? This thread is painful

S13

Mar 1, 2021
NL
Mounting 150's on my Spectral:On was the best thing i did for that bike. Period.
For my knees, pedal strikes, balance.

The argument that you shouldnt pedal in corners and you should work on your technique is ridiculous. Here in the netherlands everything is flat and not pedaling in corners means you just loose momentum all the time. Being able to just pedal through makes it so much more enjoyable. And it does make a HUGE difference i can tell you (didnt expect that either from just 15mm shorter)

I was never able to do very steep technical climbs over roots. But with the shorter cranks i can. Major win if you ask me.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
But nobody's enept, so there's that...
Why wouldnt a person want to tune their suspension properly at the same time limiting pedal strikes? Headscratcher
Im ok with shorter cranks. I have gone to 160 and appreciate the lack of dead spot in the spin and added clearance but i can adapt to crank length to a degree. Suspension performance is kind of a thing though because theyre "suspension" bikes eh

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
Lots of good advice …

it’s very much about anticipation and technique. Yes shorter cranks help and on an eMtb with motor assist less of an issue on knees etc as a non eeb. Your Cube seems to have a lot of BB drop so would guess BB is quite low. Designed for railing turns and stability in gnar but does put feet nearer the ground. Looks like the Hybrid has a 4 bar Horst link and these normally are reasonably progressive so you should get some mid travel support. As above experiment with volume spacers and pressure. Try locking shock out more too if you can and see if this makes a difference.

As per post above its good to know if it’s down or uphill. I’ll take a guess and say uphill.

with an eMtb you’re climbing stuff not normally tackled on a non Ebike, so strikes are easier. You need to plan your route ahead and time pedal strokes to avoid higher points. Practice on a section, session it. Work out timing, look ahead. Don’t just plough through because you can with motor helping.

If DH then I’d guess it’s more in corners so in gnar on corners drop outside foot a little ergo lifting inner and this will help clear. Again look ahead and if it’s just a smooth berm rail it with feet level. If it’s rocky and gnar look to just lift inner pedal unless there’s a rock or stump on the inside of your arc.

They key is to look ahead, up and down. Plan your lines. Plan where to put your feet.

practise is as important as shorter cranks.
Pedal Strikes are Uphill, 165MM Cranks (stock).
I have been looking for shorter but I can't find anything in stock.
Volume reducers are ordered so will give them a really good test in the place I got the most strikes (cross country type terrain uphill).
2021 Cube Stereo Hybrid SL 140mm
I have already modified my pedaling stroke to avoid the strikes but I find it to be excessive, hence the need for alternatives.

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
Pedal Strikes are Uphill, 165MM Cranks (stock).
I have been looking for shorter but I can't find anything in stock.
Volume reducers are ordered so will give them a really good test in the place I got the most strikes (cross country type terrain uphill).
2021 Cube Stereo Hybrid SL 140mm
I have already modified my pedaling stroke to avoid the strikes but I find it to be excessive, hence the need for alternatives.

Hope E-bike crankset available in 155mm

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
ok so it's a 36mm BB drop on your frame, with 29" wheels and 165mm cranks
compared to other full 29er e bikes:

it's 9mm lower than a Levo
6mm lower than an Orbea Wild FS, and they come with 160mm cranks
1mm lower than the Trek rail in the low position, 7mm lower in the high position
8mm lower than Radon Render
12mm lower than a Mondraker crafty/chaser

just something for the "just learn to ride" brigade to consider

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
FFS just learn how to ride. of course theres a FB group of inept people.

Dont let your downstroke pedal hit shit. What’s awesome is the pedal is attached to your foot and if you’ve had any form of experience walking you can with-out-looking judge if your foot will hit something.
You have never stubbed your toe in your life ?
I call BS !

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire
I call Bs too

I run my Rail as either a Mullet or full 27.5 and don't get pedal strikes...

I'm actually trialling a 27.5 front as well, still in the High position because of the longer forks. Only had a couple of rides so far. First was awful; loads of pedal strikes

But nobody's enept, so there's that...

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Linkage systems vary. The cube, despite being a great bike and killer deal, benefits from volume reducers to give it more support. I giess the rail has more midstroke support? Combine this with terrain , bb height and a riders overall or current use of possibly pedaling through chunder and boom! , you get pedal strikes. Maybe even within a certain zone a rider chooses different trails and sections and it can differentiate from others. Its not loke its any secret that the added weight that gives you that planted feel is the pedals/bb riding a touch lower. Add some assist to your pedal stroke when youre compressong the suspension and its going to accentuate that effect. You can adapt ,and will over time , but its undeniable that its a thing. I predict a win win withe volume spacer(s). Less strikes and better suspension performance up and down.
My linear travel steam powered meta am 29 is similar. Air shock needs another volume spacer. Squeezing in a pedal stroke or 3 to make a jump i have to watch the pedal more than id like. A little loss of air in the shock and i really have to pay attention. Shit happens. The cube will benefit in more than just less pedal strikes

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
6 months experience cured 80% of mine. Change to 165 cranks probably did another 15%. Now they are rare and I pretty much know before they happen. I have a HT tho and don't go looking for trouble.

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
Installed 0.8 volume reducer into shock (removed the 0.4 that was factory installed) and went on my normal spin. I would say 50% reduction in pedal strikes. I even made sure to pedal in all the places I was having strikes before and did 3 loops of the same trails and it's a huge improvement. Also it has not made the ride harsh like it was when I put in more air pressure. Need to do more testing and with different air pressure but so far so good.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Installed 0.8 volume reducer into shock (removed the 0.4 that was factory installed) and went on my normal spin. I would say 50% reduction in pedal strikes. I even made sure to pedal in all the places I was having strikes before and did 3 loops of the same trails and it's a huge improvement. Also it has not made the ride harsh like it was when I put in more air pressure. Need to do more testing and with different air pressure but so far so good.
Thats great. Testing is fun, esoecially when its inexpensive testing

ant0

Feb 25, 2021
Aviemore, Scotland
Holy moly what an 'interesting' wide range of opinions on the OPs issue ?

To answer one question that cropped up, I'm now running the Hope 155 cranks after bending one of the ethirteen ones the other week. All good and while I did used to get a reasonable amount of pedal strikes on big mountain/Munro rides (think Cairngorm rocks and boulders), that has definitely reduced with the 155's with no other adverse issues.

20210721_132732.jpg

20210721_135023.jpg
20210724_095631~4.jpg

image.jpg

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire

To answer one question that cropped up, I'm now running the Hope 155 cranks after bending one of the ethirteen ones the other week. All good and while I did used to get a reasonable amount of pedal strikes on big mountain/Munro rides (think Cairngorm rocks and boulders), that has definitely reduced with the 155's with no other adverse issues.

View attachment 67962

View attachment 67963 View attachment 67964
View attachment 67967
I think you need to start adding to the 'Pic of the day' thread :love:

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland

View attachment 67962

View attachment 67963 View attachment 67964
View attachment 67967
Like the idea of those cranks but I have gone with the cheap option of volume reducers and so far a good improvement. Those cranks are a little expensive for me at the moment. Might get them if I still have issues after couple months of experimenting with the volume reducers. I plan to do a more cross country ride this week with plenty roots and rocks as a test case.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles