Parts for Shimano E8000 motor - lead from battery to motor.

Lovely

Oct 12, 2020
North West Ireland
Does anyone know of a reputable emtb mechanic who could diagnose my E8000 motor and battery. The latest report I have is that now there is no power coming from the battery, even though the power light is on.

Lovely

Oct 12, 2020
North West Ireland
Well, I have officially given up. Just this week I bought a new Steps E-8000 motor, a new 504wh battery and a new battery frame cradle with connecting lead. There's no point in throwing out an entirely good full suspension emtb for the sake of the Steps e8000 system.

Now, my new question is this - do I now have a warranty on these new Shimano parts? How do I activate it and how long does it last for?

Thanks again for any help.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Thd warranty is two years, is provided directly by Shimano and the starting date is the date in your invoice or proof of purchase.

This applies for purchasing in stores, but not sure about purchases in ebay.

Where did you buy the motor and how much did it the cost?

Last edited:

Lovely

Oct 12, 2020
North West Ireland
Bought on German site 4mybike.de for €€666.76 plus €50 postage.

BM-8016 battery holder from Team R2 Bike.com, also Germany for €70.67 plus €9.50 postage

BT-8010 Battery from Bike-Prof on ebay, also Germany for €524.95 plus €10 postage.

Total cost €1,331.88.

Derek

Jun 11, 2019
Aust
So I opened up the mounting plate and made a discovery. One of the pins was actually not broken but pushed down in the housing. I used small needle nose pliers and pushed the contact pin back up in the mount plate connector. For the other pin that was broken through, I used a Ø.035" pin to push the broken part down and out of the harness and discovered what they are using. They are using a 20-24 AWG crimp connector with a Ø.66MM pin connection (Ø.024 Imperial). I have just ordered some from the states so once they are here I will solder one in place and let you know if it fires up and get you the full part number and who to buy from. Not sure how long it will take to get here but should be by next week I would imagine as it's Thursday already.
Thanks guys for all your efforts. I am helping a friend with a similar issue. I have pulled that plug from the motor and can see that the positive and negative power cables have melted the insulation and shorted. I have proved that luckily no permanent damage to the motor as I bypassed that motor plug and motor is good and fires up display etc. Same bike as yours alamen1 and agree totally on battery being so hard to remove and install... and what with the insufficient cable length to the power button sheesh. So what I am after is the elusive male shimano plug as the one on this bike has broken the negative power pin on the motor side of the plug. Heat has made that pin brittle and it's snapped. So I need to disconnect all wires and replace all pins then reconnect. Thanks for the info on the thin pins but can you help with spec for the larger power pins? Also how do you remove the pins already in the plug as in my case they are all the male pins are still fitted in the plug. What's the removal technique without damaging the plug body so I can install new pins. Thanks for any help
Ok so I got my new pins overnight from half way across Canada. For you that would be about 14 countries away. LOL. Anyways its a 26GAW not a 24GAW wire so even though my pin size was right my existing connection hole for the main part of the connector was to small. So I just drilled it out to about .002" undersize and it pressed in fine. I tapped the whole harness inside of the connector it will help keep those pins from pushing in. I crimped the wire after stripping it and also applied solder. I hooked it back up to the bike and viola bike is running again. So I will look up the right number tonight for all your guys plate connections now I know the right size. It read fine across the flats but it didn't account for the diagonal as the connector is rectangular after the pin. Which meant my part would have been fine had the original been a square but it was not. Regardless it still works well.

lastly I will use some q-tips and silicone and make a seal around the edge of the plate. I am going to source another connector plate for the motor and thread on connector for the battery harness. I just need the right size. Not only will it never come apart unless unscrewed but also it will never break a pin putting the battery harness back on the motor as God intended. Shame on Shimano for putting such a cheap as S&^t connector in a vital spot. Trust me I won't leave you all in the lurch I will get you the pin you can use now and the new connection later. I will have to read a lot of part numbers though to get what I want, but if you can solder the basics and have patience its easily doable.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Shimano uses propietary connectors, and it will be almost impossible to find spare connectors. If your issue is in the cable from Battery to Motor, the best would be to replace the complete cable assembly.

This is the new version of the bracket for the external battery (metal made and valid for the heavy 630W batteries):
Shimano BM-E8016 for external battery (BM-E8020 for internal battery).

I am not sure if you can buy the cable alone, without the bracket

Derek

Jun 11, 2019
Aust
Shimano uses propietary connectors, and it will be almost impossible to find spare connectors. If your issue is in the cable from Battery to Motor, the best would be to replace the complete cable assembly.

This is the new version of the bracket for the external battery (metal made and valid for the heavy 630W batteries):
Shimano BM-E8016 for external battery (BM-E8020 for internal battery).

I am not sure if you can buy the cable alone, without the bracket
Thanks but my issue is motor side. The neg pin and cable from motor to that pin is broken. I am going to get a complete pre wired male / female set of connectors and totally replace the proprietory shimano plugs battery end and motor end. Will have to seal motor end as the new connector won't fit to cover the hole that the original shimano plug covered. Going to try this one.

Screenshot_20221111-105438_Chrome.png Screenshot_20221111-110739_Chrome.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles