Parts for Shimano E8000 motor - lead from battery to motor.

Lovely

Oct 12, 2020
North West Ireland
Hello, my Shimano E8000 motor has recently developed a problem. The error message E010 was appearing and eventually there was no power going to the motor. Its a 2018 E-Sommet Deore. I have always ridden with the bash guard fitted (plastic) and when it got a bit worn I recently replaced it. I left the bike back with ChainRaection in Belfast who said they would try sending it back for a warranty repair (4 weeks ago), I rang today and was told that Vitus are not repairing it under warranty as there are signs of damage on the battery lead to motor junction. Not sure why I had 4 weeks of downtime for this, but anyway I hope to get a call from their Warranty manager on Weds to discuss the matter. Anyhoo, has anyone got any experience of dealing with Shimano directly for repair work? Who do I contact? Is it possible to get a new lead that connects from the battery harness directly into the motor via a tubular black plastic harness with four pins inside? I sincerely hope I do not need to buy a complete new motor for the sake of a short, but proprietary electrical lead. As an over 50 rider of average health I do not abuse this bike, no radical jumps or dropoffs, no somersaults or Macaskill-Wannabee stunts - just trail riding and single track. Don't even push it enough to fall off (that often). I cannot think of any reason how this problem originated, but in classical modern parlance - we are where we are......
Many thank for any input or helpful suggestions, or your own personal experiences.....

Lovely.

thumbnail_IMG_20200914_001526.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You should be able to take it to any LBS that is a shimano service centre to process a warranty that is to do with the motor system.

Regardless of if is is a warranty claim, that part is available, and easy enough for any shop to swap out, even if you end up footing the bill.

I would press you case, as there is no way form what you describe that you have ever touched that lead, if anything I would suspect a shoddy job done when the bike was put together.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
Hello, my Shimano E8000 motor has recently developed a problem. The error message E010 was appearing and eventually there was no power going to the motor. Its a 2018 E-Sommet Deore. I have always ridden with the bash guard fitted (plastic) and when it got a bit worn I recently replaced it. I left the bike back with ChainRaection in Belfast who said they would try sending it back for a warranty repair (4 weeks ago), I rang today and was told that Vitus are not repairing it under warranty as there are signs of damage on the battery lead to motor junction. Not sure why I had 4 weeks of downtime for this, but anyway I hope to get a call from their Warranty manager on Weds to discuss the matter. Anyhoo, has anyone got any experience of dealing with Shimano directly for repair work? Who do I contact? Is it possible to get a new lead that connects from the battery harness directly into the motor via a tubular black plastic harness with four pins inside? I sincerely hope I do not need to buy a complete new motor for the sake of a short, but proprietary electrical lead. As an over 50 rider of average health I do not abuse this bike, no radical jumps or dropoffs, no somersaults or Macaskill-Wannabee stunts - just trail riding and single track. Don't even push it enough to fall off (that often). I cannot think of any reason how this problem originated, but in classical modern parlance - we are where we are......
Many thank for any input or helpful suggestions, or your own personal experiences.....

Lovely.

View attachment 42033
I replaced this lead a few months back. Easy job but you do need to drop the motor down. Leave the rear bolts in place.
The lead comes with the battery mounting brackets also. $80 here in New Zealand.
Parts available through my local bike shop from Shimano.
Good luck with warranty.

Lovely

Oct 12, 2020
North West Ireland
I see that one of the little brass pins protruding up from the connection plate on the motor is also broken, does anyone know if this can be replaced? Thanks.

P.jpg

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
HI Lovely,

There is quite a bit of that male "connection plate" missing. The broken bits may still be inside the female connector.
I don't think the male connector is readily available as a new part.
If you can find one, possibly from a s/h fecked motor then it will be an easy replace although I think the power wires will require to be re-soldered.
I bet that CRC have plenty of s/h ones in their workshop...

Good luck with it.

Frank

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
While not optimal, another option would be to replace both sides of that connector (and the plate) altogether with a suitably sized 4 pin connector, which you could source almost anywhere. Obviously there would be a small bit of snipping/stripping wires and soldering involved, and probably some shrink tubing. Since you're going to be replacing both sides of the connector anyway, this might get you back, up and running quickly. Search for 4 pin aviation connector (there are IP67 and IP68 versions). Those might do the trick.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
While not optimal, another option would be to replace both sides of that connector (and the plate) altogether with a suitably sized 4 pin connector, which you could source almost anywhere. Obviously there would be a small bit of snipping/stripping wires and soldering involved, and probably some shrink tubing. Since you're going to be replacing both sides of the connector anyway, this might get you back, up and running quickly. Search for 4 pin aviation connector (there are IP67 and IP68 versions). Those might do the trick.
Yeah, That's a great idea :)?

Lovely

Oct 12, 2020
North West Ireland
Update: Phone call this evening from CRC, it's actually Shimano who have refused the warranty repair not Vitus, due to the motor having been opened so my bad for doing that. Still doesn't explain how the issue occurred in the first place. Anyhoo the chap at CRC said he will try and get his mechanics to connect the motor up via DI2(?) to the Utube App to diagnose all issues, and see if they can make any suggestions from there. Fingers crossed, but hopes not too high.

Billy1mate

Apr 17, 2019
Dorset
Hi, regarding the suggestion of replacing both sides this place does all manner of car, motorcycle & marine connectors. I used them to rewire a motorcycle headlight (I’m not linked to them in anyway just a customer).

Lovely

Oct 12, 2020
North West Ireland
Ok, folks - latest update. Went to Belfast yesterday and collected my bike. Spoke with Steve at CRC who said if I can get an email to Julian Thrasher at Madison who supply parts for Shimano, he may be able to help me. Dropped out the motor today and took off the broken Port. I only need this small part, as I think my power cable from the battery is grand. I will attach some photos and lets see if any of you clever people can come up with a part number for this item !!! Note that I have temporarily replaced the broken plastic collar on top and that the two brass pins are sadly still broken. Thanks in advance.

Louis.

Port 1.jpg

Port 2.jpg

Port 3.jpg

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

Found link for battery cable

Ok, folks - latest update. Went to Belfast yesterday and collected my bike. Spoke with Steve at CRC who said if I can get an email to Julian Thrasher at Madison who supply parts for Shimano, he may be able to help me. Dropped out the motor today and took off the broken Port. I only need this small part, as I think my power cable from the battery is grand. I will attach some photos and lets see if any of you clever people can come up with a part number for this item !!! Note that I have temporarily replaced the broken plastic collar on top and that the two brass pins are sadly still broken. Thanks in advance.

Louis.

View attachment 42414

View attachment 42415

View attachment 42416

High Rock Ruti

I had this exact problem. I cut off the lock washer and that left just enough thread to hold the nut. I then used silicone to glue it down to the motor case and tightened down the four screws. I bought the new battery holder/cable set on ebay about $100 USD. Mine was an internal battery in a 2016 Pivot Shuttle, be advised that the (cable end) holder does not sit level, but at a slight angle and slightly wobbly. The bike has been working, maybe 150 miles so far, my girlfriend rides is several times a month. Not sure if my pictures help?

Warm Regards

Ruti

20200530_124827.jpg

20200530_124843.jpg

20200530_163603(1).jpg

20200530_163603.jpg

Lovely

Oct 12, 2020
North West Ireland
Thanks very much for those photos. I reckon I now just need the Drive Unit Port, its the raised plastic collar and the 2 brass pins that are broken on mine. My battery cable seems to be in good condition, but I won't know until I get some kind of replacement for the Port that it connects into.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

When mine lost solid electrical connection, I was going to buy a new motor, but they were back ordered several months and my shop had thrown their hands up, giving me back the bike in pieces. The motor was already 3 years old and out of warranty. So I had little to loose, why not try to fix it. Let me know how it goes, I'm curious if motor parts can be bought without a dealer, I've read of, others replacing bearings, you'd think internal wiring parts would be available.

Warm Regards

Ruti

Lovely

Oct 12, 2020
North West Ireland
I have sent an email to the chap at Madison UK who provide the parts for Shimano to see if I can track down that part or get a part number. If that cannot be accomplished then it will have to be a case of bypassing the port with something like a four pin aviation connector.

I will post updates on this thread as the process develops.

Thanks again to everyone who has helped.

Louis.

Lovely

Oct 12, 2020
North West Ireland
The Drive Unit Part is not a replaceable part with Madison UK - four pin aviation connector plug ordered. Gonna do a wee bit of maintenance while I have the bike in bits. Ordered a new set of Headset Bearings, the current ones are in poor condition. Must look at the frame pivot bearings too and the dropper cable needs a bit of TLC. Fun times.....

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
The Drive Unit Part is not a replaceable part with Madison UK - four pin aviation connector plug ordered. Gonna do a wee bit of maintenance while I have the bike in bits. Ordered a new set of Headset Bearings, the current ones are in poor condition. Must look at the frame pivot bearings too and the dropper cable needs a bit of TLC. Fun times.....

High Rock Ruti

Keep those cards and letters coming, curious to see how it shakes out.

Warm Regards Ruti

Lovely

Oct 12, 2020
North West Ireland
Well, the four pin connector arrived and I had it fitted by a professional electronics agent. Photos attached. The system still will not power up with the battery attached. All wires have been checked and are correct. When the battery is switched on and fully charged there is about 7 watts I think going to the top of the lead from the battery, which push fits into to the bottom of the SC-E8000 handlebar mounted computer/display screen. As there is power running this far from the battery/motor combo I am currently of the opinion that the SC-E8000 unit may be faulty. Normally, once the battery is switched on, this display lights up straight away and the system goes live. The display will not light up. Is this item covered by warranty I wonder? I see replacement units on ebay for about €120 but I do not wish to order just yet until I am positive that this is the issue. I intend to try a LBS to see if they have a bike with the same system that they might allow me to connect my SC-E8000 to in order to attempt to power it from a known functioning system. Please let me know of any other possible suggestions or potential fixes, many thanks,
Louis.
IMG_20201104_004024.jpg
IMG_20201104_004024.jpg
IMG_20201104_004024.jpg
IMG_20201104_004036.jpg

IMG_20201104_004202.jpg

IMG_20201104_004217.jpg

IMG_20201104_004246.jpg

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
I have sent an email to the chap at Madison UK who provide the parts for Shimano to see if I can track down that part or get a part number. If that cannot be accomplished then it will have to be a case of bypassing the port with something like a four pin aviation connector.

I am sorry to bring the bad news after you have already installed the connector, but according the description in eBay, the Current Rate of this connector is 5 Ampers, but the DU-EP8000 motor current draw is:

• Motor Maximum Power Output is 250W, so the Maximum current draw will be = 250W/36V = 6,94 Ampers.
  • But Peak Maximum Power is 500W, available for short periods, so the Peak maximum current draw will be = 500W/36V = 13,8 Ampers.

So the 5 Ampers connector is likely to fail or even burn under normal usage.

Although, I do not believe this is causing your current problem at Power ON, because as the motor is not running, the current draw of the display alone is far below the 5 Ampers, so this can not be the cause of the Power On issue.

Last edited:

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I am sorry to bring the bad news after you have already installed the connector, but according the description in eBay, the Current Rate of this connector is 5 Ampers, but the DU-EP8000 motor current draw is:

• Motor Maximum Power Output is 250W, so the Maximum current draw will be = 250W/36V = 6,94 Ampers.
  • But Peak Maximum Power is 500W, available for short periods, so the Peak maximum current draw will be = 500W/36V = 13,8 Ampers.

So the 5 Ampers connector is likely to fail or even burn under normal usage.

Although, I do not believe this is causing your current problem at Power ON, because as the motor is not running, the current draw of the display alone is far below the 5 Ampers, so this can not be the cause of the Power On issue.
Would the 5A rating not be per pin? So assuming doubled up, would give 10A continuous draw?

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Would the 5A rating not be per pin? So assuming doubled up, would give 10A continuous draw?
There are 2 pins for low current Control Signals and two pins to power the motor, but the current is not Split into both,, but one is 36V and the other one is 0V or Ground

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles