Paraffin wax and teflon chain lube

Jugglematt

Jun 29, 2020
Australia
Hi folks
Is anyone using this combo ? I have just started using straight paraffin wax Chain lube on my commuter bike after lots of YouTube research and intend on giving the wax teflon a go. on my current commuter and new e bike when it arrives.
Have to say so far im impressed with the wax, it so nice having a clean quiet drive train .

At first I did an initial deep clean recommend by ozcycle from YouTube , petrol - degreaser - metholated spirits .

Love to get some feedback on how was is working for people on e mtbs
Thanks
Matt

20200715_162303.jpg

20200715_162322.jpg

20200715_162312.jpg

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
There is a few of us

At first I thought it was a bit of dicking around but the benefits over a messy, oily drive train makes it all worth while. Once the first initial clean is done of all components it's easy peasy.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
There are quite a few threads on this (just look at the thread suggestions at the bottom of the screen).

I've converted all our bikes to wax + PTFE. Absolutely love it. Although I'm not sure it would work so well in a wet climate, it's perfect here in Southern Spain.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
There are quite a few threads on this (just look at the thread suggestions at the bottom of the screen).

I've converted all our bikes to wax + PTFE. Absolutely love it. Although I'm not sure it would work so well in a wet climate, it's perfect here in Southern Spain.

Agreed, a little bit of rain and mines all washed off. In Australia it never rains so it's perfect

BushLevo

Subscriber
Oct 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
I've just started doing this on my 2019 Turbo Levo Expert. I saw the OzCycle video on Youtube and followed the instructions on initial deep cleaning and then hot wax with paraffin and PTFE. I am really impressed with the result.

I ride a lot of dusty, gravelly back roads and a wet lubed chain doesn't last me more than 40km before it is dirty again. I was cleaning and wet lubing the original new chain every 100km or so until it was worn out at 1700km before I replaced it at 0.75% wear. I deep cleaned and hot waxed a new Connex 11SE and it's running well so far. Still is very clean after 60km, so I'm waiting to see how far I can go till a re-wax is required.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I've just started doing this on my 2019 Turbo Levo Expert. I saw the OzCycle video on Youtube and followed the instructions on initial deep cleaning and then hot wax with paraffin and PTFE. I am really impressed with the result.

I ride a lot of dusty, gravelly back roads and a wet lubed chain doesn't last me more than 40km before it is dirty again. I was cleaning and wet lubing the original new chain every 100km or so until it was worn out at 1700km before I replaced it at 0.75% wear. I deep cleaned and hot waxed a new Connex 11SE and it's running well so far. Still is very clean after 60km, so I'm waiting to see how far I can go till a re-wax is required.
I have been doing the same for years and I'm at 160 km on this lube, also in dry dusty conditions. My chain is at 1500+ km and still below 0.5.

Karsten

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I use FinishLine Ceramic Wax. Which I have been using for the last 3 years and many thousand KM. I change my chains when they reach / exceed 0.5 growth, so get about 1000km per chain.
OK I know a bit different to what you are asking, but I figured I'd post it here.
I do find I need to re-apply after each wet ride, but in dry conditions it lasts well.

MSH

Nov 8, 2020
Spain
I just did this. It took me 1 hour or so because shit happens and had no experience. But I gotta say, I LOVE IT! Didn't took it for a ride yet but on the stand oh it is so quiet. Oh buttery smooth.. Oh.. I'm having an eargasm every time I change gear.

BushLevo

Subscriber
Oct 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
After a few months of doing the paraffin and teflon on my chain, I have some more feedback. I'm getting about 300km in between re-waxes, when the chain starts to appear slightly dirty and the rollers look a little dry. To re-wax, I boil the chain in water for about 15 min, let it cool, then give it a few minutes bath in methylated spirit (white spirit). When it dries, the chain is quite clean and free of most wax. Then it's back into the molten wax and teflon bath for 15 mins. It comes out just the same as the 1st time wax. Put back on the bike, spin up and down through the gears a few times to get rid of the excess paraffin, and you're good for another 300km.

After 750km, absolutely no measured chain wear on my Turbo Levo (I'm using a Connex 11SE). I wish I'd found out about this years ago.

Jugglematt

Jun 29, 2020
Australia
Well 2200 km on the new forcus thron with parafin and teflon combo. Im running 2 chains so i have one chain ready to go when the existing chain needs swapping out. I usually get 2-300km ou of a chain before i swap them . A quick chain / cassette clean in boiling water . And re wax for next time .

No grease , clean drive train so far so good . Looking foward to seeing how it goes for chain strech longer distance.

Matt .

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I've been using it, wax and teflon. Every 100km or so I remove the chain, put it in a strainer and pour near boiling water over it to clean. Soak it in the wax mix for about 5 or 10 mins. I just brush the cluster and chain ring etc during routine maintenance. I'm getting half the stretch that I used to. No good for really wet though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles