Paint protection

Robhaibike3.5

Jul 28, 2020
Burstwick , East Yorkshire
Afternoon everyone.
I'm Rob from East Yorkshire,
Just bought my first EMTB ☺️looking for recommendations to protect vulnerable areas of the paint work.
Seen the kits online but wondered if there's anything more specific for ebikes with them having large diameter cross bars etc.
Cheers in advance ????

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I used a clear car wrap product to do mine. Was fiddly work. However check out the invisiframe site if they have a kit specifically for your bike. When I did my bike there was none as the bike was very new on the market. Now there is a kit specifically made for my bike frame in my size. It is definitely worth it. Particularly as my bike has a very sensitive Matt finish.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I use helicopter tape and do it myself. I can double up protection in certain areas and put none in low risk areas. There are various types of protective tape, thick, thin, different widths and lengths etc. I have a favourite supplier, but they sell out as soon as they get stock in!

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Plus one for invisiframe, really good kit, very detailed, some intricate smaller pieces to stick on places that would be difficult to do by hand. The generic kits would be fine for the main areas though. Helicopter tape is very good to use in places where you've used zip ties on your frame, for example to attach a mudguard. Zip ties can rub through the paint and even eat into the frame itself, and invisframe is not really tough enough for that particular purpose.

Unicycle_DG

Sep 26, 2020
Kentucky
Tempted to DIY my soon to be delivered 2021 Specialized Levo Comp FSR frame paint protection with ISC Helicopter OG (Outdoor Grade so it doesn’t yellow) in 8mil (seems thicker 14 mil difficult to fit) from Tape Farm (based on Pink Bike article) or 3M variant.

Which width should I buy between 1” and 6” to best top frame (rack yourself) bar? Pink Bike said 2”. I’d like to go from TCU to seatpost hopefully in one strip would be ideal so 3”? Also how long (in feet) a roll to do the whole bike?

Purchased Amygos BottomBracket/Motor guard and new battery guard all with paint rubbing Velcro straps Should I double up on 8 mil or use 14 mil in those Velcro areas?

Thanks for helping me protect my frame!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles