Overbiked on an eBike - is this a thing ?

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
old school rider and recent ebike convert. In my early 50's and heading for shoulder reconstruction surgery later this week after a front wheel washout 5 weeks ago on a techy section and smashed shoulder. I'm going to be off the bike in rehab for 6 months I reckon and I think the time has come, after too many broken bones, to redirect my riding to less technical stuff, more big sky, natural west of Scotland terrain, avoiding drops, big rocks etc !.

So the question is, current bike is a new Orbea Wild FS M-Team, 2020, 160 travel both ends, 29er and I will be having the option of sticking with the Orbea, or changing it to something else. It fits me well and is a decent weight carbon frame and great spec. If it wasn't an ebike I'd be thinking of chopping from 160 to a 120mm travel, light xc type bike (I used to ride an Anthem of that ilk), as I would be feeling/thinking I was way overbiked for the type of terrain I am wanting to focus on. But does same apply to ebikes ? My logic says maybe not, as the extra weight of the bigger travel doesn't really matter and as it's an efficient geometry and setup is it a compromise as it might be on a non ebike ? Thoughts ?

Reactions: -W-

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Pretty certain you can set to 150mm on those based on something I read a while back. With 160mm I expect cornering on XC trails and such a little more difficult that on something with shorter travel but really depends on your overall geometry. Rode 3 different 150mm travel bikes the other day and they all felt very different. One was like a XC racer with a weight forward inclination and had shortish chain-stays. One was very slack and had a sit back feel and had longer chain-stays. Like Goldilox, the other was for me - just right.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Have fun test riding as many different emtbs as you can get your hands on. I managed eight before I found one that felt so much fun that I forgot I was on an ebike for a while. So I bought one! :love:

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
I doubt I'd change as the ROI when chopping between ebikes is not good, and the difference in enjoyment between a 160mm/24kg eMTB and a 140mm/22kg eMTB is likely to be minimal.

The only exception would be to check out something like the Lapierre eZesty which, at 18kg, is getting a lot closer to that sense of lightness you may be looking for.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I was concerned when I went from a 120 hardtail to a 180 Kenevo that I'd be overbiked .. I wasn't. I have no idea why we even think it could be a thing ! It's daft.

If I'd had the Kenevo from the start I suspect it would have got me out of many nasty scrapes and saved me from broken bones and a lot of pain. Though as it didn't happen like that, who knows, maybe I would have gone harder/faster/more stupid sooner and just done the same :)

But I'd definitely stick with what you have. You liked it compared to others, it's a great looking bike too. You just got unlucky. Ten minutes into my second ride on my second hardtail in March and the bike made me think I was immortal. I wasn't . Fractured Pelvis, bad concussion, lots of messy red stuff. The Kenevo would have saved me if I'd done the same thing in the same place (I have and it did .. I'm a slow learner ..).

No matter what you're on, there's going to be the chance you can fall off. From my experience - armour up ! Troy lee 7855, Leatt airfit light, Fox titan - something like that (you don't even know you have the Troy Lee on). I think as we get older, we're just a little more fragile and a little crapper at falling, combine the two - more likely to get injured.

Performance wise, I haven't noticed any noticeable pattern on none technical climbs with regard to the lighter hardtail being faster or slower than the heavier Kenevo - they're fairly even. Anything gnarly cross country and the Kenevo is on average 30% faster, even on sections I honestly thought it would be impossible for anyone to have gone any faster on than I did on the hardtail.

And as a really really really really boring/unscientific test on easy terrain .. I did two mirrored 30km tests going as hard as possible. One suspension open, one locked out/firm. Locked out was 3% faster. So on an e-bike, none of these things are going to make the same degree of difference we're used to seeing on normal bikes.

steveo

Jul 20, 2019
Ka15hy
Just keep the orbea ? had a demo one from sprockets on Saturday and done 22 miles and pretty much a bit of everything. Some blue ,red,black and of piste and was happy with it doing everything. Wouldn't think twice taking it on a big day out ?

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Go longer travel!
I find the extra suppleness does wonders for my back, especially on long rides.
180 seems to be the sweet spot from all the bikes I’ve ridden and as Zimmer said above more travel will keep you safer on the gnarly stuff.

PsiLoCybia

Oct 22, 2019
Ely
Go longer travel!
I find the extra suppleness does wonders for my back, especially on long rides.
180 seems to be the sweet spot from all the bikes I’ve ridden and as Zimmer said above more travel will keep you safer on the gnarly stuff.
^^^^ What he says :)

I mainly ride XC type trails locally and then visit the bike parks every month or 2. So 80% of my riding I would be considered overbiked on an analogue 180mm travel full sus (have the Kenevo). But the emtb is different, once you adjust it can be just as nimble as a smaller travel analogue, the motor means you don't need to worry so much about losing efficiency on longer travel, it copes with everything and when I do go to the bike parks it just excels. I love it!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Fuck sake. You're massively overthinking/worrying again. :ROFLMAO:
Tyres (and pressures) make the most difference. Genuinely!
Fit XC tyres and your Emtb despite having 160mm traval and slack geo will piss all over what you previously thought was a good XC ride round Mugdock/WHW etc. on your anthem. Fit DH tyres and it'll handle like a short travel old skool DH bike (but less of a slog because of the motor).
Fit plus tyres and it'll handle like a pile of shite. :sneaky:

Most 120mm emtb's don't actually weigh any less.
You can always run a 160mm bike stiffer (effectively reducing travel) if that's what you genuinely prefer. You can't do the opposite on a 120mm bike.
I'd tend to disagree with the comment about 180mm bikes being the sweet spot though... Obviously it's subjective but for me personally most 180mm bikes simply aren't as playful as a slightly shorter travel bike. (Yes. you could also run a 180mm bike stiffer But they also tend to come with heavier components and often coil shocks, meaning a heavier overall and more planted bike )
I have 5 FS bikes ranging from light 120mm through to 160/170mm Enduro to 200mm DH. and ride shit loads of others pretty much daily so I kinda do know what I'm talking about here.

XC from my door is mainly fairly tame/flat but miles and miles of singletrack/woodland and my 160/170mm Sommet is an absolute blast. (and only becomes even more so in shite conditions like this time of year)

When you're fit to ride again mind n get in touch. I'd quite like a wee tour of the auld haunts. There's probably loads of new bits since I last rode your neck of the ... erm... woods. :)

Last edited:

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
I agree with pretty much everyone above. Keep the Orbea. on a side note: I came off on 08 October and broke my shoulder and also shattered the top of my arm. Had the shoulder re-built on the 15th of October. I expect to be riding again (nothing technical) by end of January. I'm 58 years old and 115kg's (so not young and sprightly). Don't worry about the six month thing, It won't be anywhere near that long. Lastly; Good luck with the recovery.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The amazing thing is that I'm pretty sure they both did it within a few days of each other and they're globally virtually exactly opposite each other !

Wonder if they did opposite shoulders ?

They're like the Forums own Polar Opposite Twins.

Do you think they have little signs outside their houses ?? "Iainc - Twinned with Macone"

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The amazing thing is that I'm pretty sure they both did it within a few days of each other and they're globally virtually exactly opposite each other !

Wonder if they did opposite shoulders ?

They're like the Forums own Polar Opposite Twins.

Do you think they have little signs outside their houses ?? "Iainc - Twinned with Macone"
Makes sense.
With twins. One twin is usually more of a "worrier" too IME

NotAveJoe

Nov 19, 2019
Wyoming
^^^^ What he says :)

I mainly ride XC type trails locally and then visit the bike parks every month or 2. So 80% of my riding I would be considered overbiked on an analogue 180mm travel full sus (have the Kenevo). But the emtb is different, once you adjust it can be just as nimble as a smaller travel analogue, the motor means you don't need to worry so much about losing efficiency on longer travel, it copes with everything and when I do go to the bike parks it just excels. I love it!

Do you find the geometry of the Kenevo comfortable on flat trails? It looks to me like more of a downhill bomber so I wasn't sure how it would do on XC rides.

PsiLoCybia

Oct 22, 2019
Ely
Do you find the geometry of the Kenevo comfortable on flat trails? It looks to me like more of a downhill bomber so I wasn't sure how it would do on XC rides.
Yes, I find it comfortable, not as comfortable as my old 125mm Hardtail but plenty good enough!

Levo Knievel

Nov 23, 2019
USA
I had a nasty fall in April. Steep run, felt like I was relaxed and in control (almost all falls seem to come without warning) and then I got popped over my bars right onto an outcrop. I tried to roll as usual but my legs were wrapped up in the bike. So I landed on my left knee/shoulder/elbow and sprained my right thumb and then the bike landed on my right side dislocating my ribs. It was a month before I could ride again and even then I rode with pain for at least another month.

I considered easing back on technical riding but instead I armored up like others mentioned. I've been happy with the Leatt Airfit lite and some good knee pads.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
old school rider and recent ebike convert. In my early 50's and heading for shoulder reconstruction surgery later this week after a front wheel washout 5 weeks ago on a techy section and smashed shoulder. I'm going to be off the bike in rehab for 6 months I reckon and I think the time has come, after too many broken bones, to redirect my riding to less technical stuff, more big sky, natural west of Scotland terrain, avoiding drops, big rocks etc !.

So the question is, current bike is a new Orbea Wild FS M-Team, 2020, 160 travel both ends, 29er and I will be having the option of sticking with the Orbea, or changing it to something else. It fits me well and is a decent weight carbon frame and great spec. If it wasn't an ebike I'd be thinking of chopping from 160 to a 120mm travel, light xc type bike (I used to ride an Anthem of that ilk), as I would be feeling/thinking I was way overbiked for the type of terrain I am wanting to focus on. But does same apply to ebikes ? My logic says maybe not, as the extra weight of the bigger travel doesn't really matter and as it's an efficient geometry and setup is it a compromise as it might be on a non ebike ? Thoughts ?

High.

High Rock Ruti

Dude armor up already!
20191130_133643.jpg

That's road racing upper body armor landing on elbows and shoulders weekley 65 yrs old.

I'm losing sleep over you missing 6 months so sorry.

It's E Bikes to the bitter end for me.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I found the first few months of ebike riding very demanding on my upper body and shoulders, much more than on the other bikes. So, having a regular bike that will do a real aerobic workout while climbing might be a better path for recovery than going straight to an ebike. Heal soon!

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
IME... The Kenevo will do fine on XC rides. Probably less fine on twisty trails. Not as maneuverable.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts

High Rock Ruti

I have the same bike, and love it. If you can stand to look like this you can keep your bike. I crash all the time and so far I just collect myself and ride on, I'm 66. I was lucky that I learned to ride by myself so when I got injured I covered up until I was dressed like this upper armor for technical riding only, but full knee/shin and full face every time. The guys tease me, call me "Michelin Man", but they're 30 years younger? They watch me crash and they agree with my attire. Sorry hope you recover quicker than expected, do not go quietly into that dark night!

Warm Regards

Ruti

20200610_102939.jpg

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
I suffered same shoulder reconstruction surgery 10 year ago, couldn’t move my right arm at all need rotor cuff repair plus all tendons in my shoulder reattached after an off at Hamsterly. Hang in there brother you’ll be fine. You must work hard when you start physio, can’t stress that enough. The consultant told me never ride a bike again. I had a piece of advice from an Mtber who had broke his neck, I guy called Tom Hutton and that was to ride relaxed without fear. Sounds easy but when you get your head around it it works. I’m 64 now and I have a Whyte RS 150 and I love it ( my previous ride was a Santa Cruz Bronson) I still like the dh tough stuff and now I love the up hill rough stuff.
Hang on in there ??

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I had a bike with 130mm travel and 27.5" wheels but changed to one with 160mm travel and 29" wheels. I don't feel over biked indeed I now think I was under biked as this one is so much more comfortable and efficient. I'm riding gnarly, rock, rooty single tracks so much better and I no longer approach them with dread.

Al

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Having had 3 Giant Anthems before I moved to eMTB, I was really not wanting to jump from 100m travel XC to 150mm eMTB as I don't do downhill so why have the extra weight, slacker head angle and longer travel when I don't need it all.
I was wrong, the motor cancels out the need to have the lightest, shortest travel XC to ride fast and up hill with the least effort as you have a motor.
I still ride it from time to time, but the experience of the 150mm travel eMTB by far superior. I enjoy going up hill more than my lightweight Anthem, I enjoy going downhill more than my lightweight Anthem.
So for me, even though I'm getting older and doing less 'risky' stuff, I don't feel overbooked, rather I feel more capable and more enjoyment across everything I ride...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles