Orbea Wild - securing rear brake hose

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Small maintenance niggle I have on the Orbea Wild, and I'm wondering if others have the same issue and how they resolved it. The rear brake hose for the Wild exits on the inside of the left chainstay. That exit makes the hose naturally want to chafe against the wheel spokes, so the exit port has a couple of cut outs to fit a ziptie to cinch it down.

In my case, even with the ziptie cinched pretty tight with needle-nose pliers, the hose will creep out of the port occasionally during a ride and start rubbing against the spokes. Maybe this is because my brakes use 5.0mm hoses. I'll probably experiment with a bit of Gorilla tape around the hose to give the ziptie something grippier to hold on to, but before I start fiddling around with things that maybe won't work, has anyone else run into the issue and successfully resolved it?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
This doesn't help you much, but I haven't had this issue on mine.

It sounds like some tape round the hose to make a wider diameter would help though.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Ditto as MTeam; this doesn't happen on mine either
Do you have quite a lot of hose exposed then; has it pulled outside of the chainstay somehow?
I think it pulls out of the chainstay as the bike works through its travel. It doesn't take very much to start contacting the spokes - maybe an extra cm or so does it.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Same issue on the Rise. I angled mine so that it was a straight line but then noticed it was pulling in/out of the stay under compression of suspension. Changed angle and now its super close to spokes....

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Same issue on the Rise. I angled mine so that it was a straight line but then noticed it was pulling in/out of the stay under compression of suspension. Changed angle and now its super close to spokes....
That might be what I need to change. As I recall, the OEM Shimano brakes were installed with the banjo pointing up at an angle so that it made a vertical arc before going into the stay. I thought it would make it too easy for air to get trapped in the hose that way, so I ran it pretty straight. In hindsight, running it straight like that is probably causing it to pull in and out of the stay as it cycles through the travel, where the arc would just flatten or curve a bit more. I'll give that a try.

Ogofmole

Oct 30, 2021
Wales, UK
Not had any issues on my H25, but I have put some spiral wrap around hose as it enters the chain stay to stop it rubbing the hole.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
For what it's worth, I couldn't get the hose to behave and stay out of the spokes. It's possible that TRP brake hose is just less flexible than Shimano, so that may be the issue. The solution I'm trying now is to wrap a few loops of grip tape around the chainstay a couple inches from the exit port and hold the hose down with a couple more zip ties. It's really crude and I haven't ride-tested it yet, but I'm tired of the spokes chafing against the brake hose on every ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles