Orbea RS Data Field and Garmin - PITA

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Does anyone know how to change the units on the Orbea Rise data field from km to miles? Currently speed and range are in km by default.

Also, when I added the data field, it works until I turn off my Garmin 830. When I power it back up, the orbea data field is gone. Ugh.

In your Edge 830 there should be some system settings where you can specify imperial or metric units (possibly for different things like weight, distance).

If you change those, then hopefully the data field will match what you've selected :)

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Same here , went into settings on my device , selected System and Units . Also check your Garmin connect app settings

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
In your Edge 830 there should be some system settings where you can specify imperial or metric units (possibly for different things like weight, distance).

If you change those, then hopefully the data field will match what you've selected :)

One would think so... ;-)

But I have both the Edge 830 and the Garmin Connect app set to "Statute" (miles), and the Orbea RS data field doesn't utilize that setting.

I'll try the "contact developer" approach...has anyone actually gotten a response?

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
One would think so... ;-)

But I have both the Edge 830 and the Garmin Connect app set to "Statute" (miles), and the Orbea RS data field doesn't utilize that setting.

I'll try the "contact developer" approach...has anyone actually gotten a response?
No I’ve tried that twice to get them to add my Garmin Edge added to the RS Toolbox list of compliant devices but not a dickie bird

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I’m just gonna give up for now and get a SC-EM800 display.

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi. Has anyone successfully connected a Garmin Edge 530 with their Rise? I currently have an Edge 130 Plus, but have read that they won’t connect to the Rise. So, about to order the Rise, but want to add a screen showing battery percentage, range & power mode, so can either go for the Shimano display or (preferably) do it all on a Garmin, hence upgrading to the 530

Matthew-B

Apr 22, 2021
Harrogate
"Shimano support to my Ebike Field coming soon! :eek:I finally did some breakthrough in this."

Brilliant!! Yes I've got the Edge 130 plus, & can't connect to the Rise, was starting to think it had been a total waste of money, look forward to it

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
This isn't perfect but I've got it reliably working with the Rise and an Edge 130.
text is a bit small, but battery/mode/cadence and assist level all work.

though actually, since battery life is driven more by range than distance, once you've worked out what your max range is you can rely on the coloured lights on the junction box and the 'total' climb figure on the Garmin.

Last edited:

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Hi. Has anyone successfully connected a Garmin Edge 530 with their Rise? I currently have an Edge 130 Plus, but have read that they won’t connect to the Rise. So, about to order the Rise, but want to add a screen showing battery percentage, range & power mode, so can either go for the Shimano display or (preferably) do it all on a Garmin, hence upgrading to the 530
I have the 830, which is essentially the 530 with a touch screen. These are the newest Garmins, so yes the 530 will work with the Rise.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
I’m using the RS Tool box, but it doesn’t show your ride distance or total ascent. I created and additional data screen that displays this and added battery % and assist mode, but these 2 functions show zero and don’t display anything.

Is there a way to get an additional data screen to display the battery and assist mode or only the RS Tool box screen?

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
I’m using the RS Tool box, but it doesn’t show your ride distance or total ascend. I created and additional data screen that displays this and added battery % and assist mode, but these 2 functions show zero and don’t display anything.

Is there a way to get an additional data screen to display the battery and assist mode or only the RS Tool box screen?

For example, the bottom 2 screens is what I’m asking about.

C7AE5DBA-B569-4970-A28B-D3D2083BFBEE.jpeg

Boinger

Jun 23, 2021
California
I can get those custom fields as shown above I just add them manually from the ebike field.

Assist mode only shows as the number but that is easy
1- eco
2- trail
3- turbo

And it does show me a battery percentage.

I don't think you can have rs toolbox active and additional data fields. You must pick one or the other. RS toolbox was conflicting with the shimano esteps garmin addon for me.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
I can get those custom fields as shown above I just add them manually from the ebike field.

Assist mode only shows as the number but that is easy
1- eco
2- trail
3- turbo

And it does show me a battery percentage.

I don't think you can have rs toolbox active and additional data fields. You must pick one or the other. RS toolbox was conflicting with the shimano esteps garmin addon for me.
That makes sense. I was aware that you can only use one or the other and was surprised when I was able to add more data fields. I guess one swipe and I can see the other fields when needed. I’m using th RS Toolbox for the providing data that goes with Garmin Connect, but may consider the Ebike field instead after using this a few rides.

Bleomycin

Jun 24, 2021
USA
Does anybody know what functionality the rs toolbox adds over the built-in garmin support for ebikes? Without the app i'm able to see battery life and assist level, pretty much all i really need (edge 1030)?

I know i'm a super weirdo but i'm running power meter pedals on my rise (garmin rally xc200) and unfortunately it's looking like garmin connect won't display power data from both my pedals and the bike? Figure i'll try the rs toolbox to see if that somehow allows both data sets to display in garmin connect but I somehow doubt it will make a difference?

Boinger

Jun 23, 2021
California
The garmin protocol cannot handle multiple meters from what I understand this is the case on many bikes.

RS toolbox adds nothing over the normal e bike data fields. I prefer the normal data fields as I can create my own screen. Which you cannot do with RS toolbox.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
The garmin protocol cannot handle multiple meters from what I understand this is the case on many bikes.

RS toolbox adds nothing over the normal e bike data fields. I prefer the normal data fields as I can create my own screen. Which you cannot do with RS toolbox.

How do you get the 'normal e-bike data fields' to create your own screen?

Boinger

Jun 23, 2021
California
Well do you have a garmin watch / bike computer ? I have a 1030. I just add sensor "e-bike."

Then you will have e bike data fields available.

Bleomycin

Jun 24, 2021
USA
Ok just answered my own question. With the RS Toolbox installed the garmin does record my power meter petal data as well as the ebike related power data and it is correctly displayed in garmin connect. Yay!

Arne

Sep 30, 2021
Norway
To those who don't see the unlock button in Connect IQ, use the web version and not the Connect IQ app which opens default if you have it installed. Install toolbox and sync afterwards. This worked for me!

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Shimano support to my Ebike Field coming soon! :eek:I finally did some breakthrough in this.

Installed and tried using this yesterday with very mixed results on my Garmin Edge 130. (note - I also have Shimano step E8000 data field by PedroLoco installed - which does work but gives you a complete data page, rather than a field on your normal screen. is it possible that having both installed causes issues).

I tried using EBike Field with
Battery % and mode

Battery only
Mode only

Mode didn't seem to change reliably - it would show Eco but not change when I changed to trail or boost (and this didn't change even when left for some time).
Battery %age seemed ok at first then was showing a different percentage to the other app. (was showing 63% when the other app was, correctly, showing about 80%)
Also, the field would go blank quite often.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Evening all

Just writing this to provide a balanced view on connecting the Rise to the Shimano ETube app and the Garmin RS Toolbox app

My partner collected her Rise on Friday afternoon. Bought it home, first thing we wanted to do was to connect to the apps. Registered the bike for warranty on the Orbea website firstly. Then downloaded the Shimano ETube app. Simple. Connected with the bike immediately and changed the standard profile to ‘Profile 2’

Then went onto Garmin Connect and started the process of downloading the RS Toolbox app, just as is written in the Blue Handbook. Simple. RS Toolbox unlocked and installed

My partner has a Garmin Forerunner 645 watch. Edited the ‘bike’ data field to RS Toolbox and battery power, assistance mode etc were shown on the watch immediately. Simple. Been working fine all weekend

Basically, follow the instructions as written in the manual and everything will work absolutely fine. Appreciate some of you have had ongoing issues but just wanted to write this as nobody else has mentioned how simple it actually is to connect everything

Last edited:

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Evening all

Just writing this to provide a balanced view on connecting the Rise to the Shimano ETube app and the Garmin RS Toolbox app

My partner collected her Rise on Friday afternoon. Bought it home, first thing we wanted to do was to connect to the apps. Registered the bike for warranty on the Orbea website firstly. Then downloaded the Shimano ETube app. Simple. Connected with the bike immediately and changed the standard profile to ‘Profile 2’

Then went onto Garmin Connect and started the process of downloading the RS Toolbox app, just as is written in the Blue Handbook. Simple. RS Toolbox unlocked and installed

My partner has a Garmin Forerunner 645 watch. Edited the ‘bike’ data field to RS Toolbox and battery power, assistance mode etc were shown on the watch immediately. Simple. Been working fine all weekend

Basically, follow the instructions as written in the manual and everything will work absolutely fine. Appreciate some of you have had ongoing issues but just wanted to write this as nobody else has mentored how simple it actually is to connect everything

There were many issues and bugs with early versions though - glad to hear that they've gotten them sorted out.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
There were many issues and bugs with early versions though - glad to hear that they've gotten them sorted out.

I’m sure there are and were. I just wanted to write that as reading the thread beforehand made us concerned that connecting the Garmin was going to be a nightmare. This thread also appears in a google search when searching ‘Orbea Rise Garmin RS Toolbox’ so could potentially put people off, hence my opening statement of providing a balanced view

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I’m sure there are and were. I just wanted to write that as reading the thread beforehand made us concerned that connecting the Garmin was going to be a nightmare. This thread also appears in a google search when searching ‘Orbea Rise Garmin RS Toolbox’ so could potentially put people off, hence my opening statement of providing a balanced view

That's awesome. Now if only the Garmin itself wasn't a nightmare...

gsum

Jul 31, 2021
Lake District
You're correct Tubby G, the process is straightforward - when you've done it once. The problem is that for us with no previous Garmin experience you have to wade through many pages of badly written, glossary-free manuals to get to that point. The process as described in the manual involves connecting a phone to the Garmin. This is something which my fairly modern phone refuses to do despite the fact that Bluetooth has been on the go since 1999 and is a well established protocol. It's not obvious in the documentation that there is no need to use a phone to complete the process as a PC and a USB connection can be used to download the RS Toolbox to the Garmin.
Hence a good few hours of fannying around getting the thing to work.
Now that it is all working correctly, I'm very impressed by the capabilities of the Garmin and Toolbox for planning and recording rides.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
You're correct Tubby G, the process is straightforward - when you've done it once. The problem is that for us with no previous Garmin experience you have to wade through many pages of badly written, glossary-free manuals to get to that point. The process as described in the manual involves connecting a phone to the Garmin. This is something which my fairly modern phone refuses to do despite the fact that Bluetooth has been on the go since 1999 and is a well established protocol. It's not obvious in the documentation that there is no need to use a phone to complete the process as a PC and a USB connection can be used to download the RS Toolbox to the Garmin.
Hence a good few hours of fannying around getting the thing to work.
Now that it is all working correctly, I'm very impressed by the capabilities of the Garmin and Toolbox for planning and recording rides.

I hope I didn't sound condescending, that wasn’t the intention. I appreciate many people have had issues and also appreciate the blue handbook is based on connecting via the Garmin Connect app on the phone rathe than via a PC. I’ve used Garmin’s for years so find their UI very simple, but know many people find it frustrating. It’s all about remembering which buttons to press on the device to ‘enter’ ‘go back’ ‘scroll up/down’ etc. The sequence has been the same for years so I guess it’s built into my muscle (brain) memory!

As said before, just wanted to put it in writing that the process can be quite straightforward. Many people only come to share their frustrations on forums when there’s an issue, whereas many people that connect immediately probably don't bother commenting

Matzotom

Nov 29, 2021
UK
I have just taken delivery of my rise. I have used garmin for years and I am not a dim wit that can't follow instructions. I can tell the people out there that have had 1st time success in installing the RS data field that it is not always simply a matter of following the instructions.
When I get sent to the IQ app and it simply gives the option to install, with no sign of any unlock tab, just as shown in post #46.
I have tried most tips from this thread all with no success. The next thing I am going to try is to use my laptop with garmin express rather than my android phone and the connect app.
EDIT: success in about 2 minutes using the laptop. Deleted all evidence from the phone app and started again. Started my mtb activity on the watch, searching shown, turned on the bike and boom.... information!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles