Orbea RS Data Field and Garmin - PITA

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
if you re new to garmin it may be a nightmare
if you re familiar with garmin its a nobrainer
everything across all models works same.
Seems over complicated and inconsistent to me , I had it connect automatically while getting bike out , by time I was changed and ready to leave it decided to start just searching when I tried connecting again . The instructions state it'll connect automatically when you select your chosen exercise , it clearly doesn't.

Reactions: jka

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
if you re new to garmin it may be a nightmare
if you re familiar with garmin its a nobrainer
everything across all models works same.

Do you have an Orbea Rise and are you using a Garmin device with the Orbea RS Toolbox app? If so, what Garmin are you using and does it connect automatically when you start the Bike app that you have the data fields set for Orbea RS? I hope you can help us out. Unless I basically get into settings and reestablish everything every single time I need to use it, it does not work at all. This is not how it is supposed to work. I've been using Garmin products for well over 10 years including Nuvi, Edge, Forerunner, smartwatches, etc. This is the worst experience I've had. I'm far from a computer expert and maybe not very smart. I'm just a dumb old doctor so maybe it should be more user friendly so us dumb people can get it to work easily and consistently like it's supposed to.

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
Do you have an Orbea Rise and are you using a Garmin device with the Orbea RS Toolbox app? If so, what Garmin are you using and does it connect automatically when you start the Bike app that you have the data fields set for Orbea RS? I hope you can help us out. Unless I basically get into settings and reestablish everything every single time I need to use it, it does not work at all. This is not how it is supposed to work. I've been using Garmin products for well over 10 years including Nuvi, Edge, Forerunner, smartwatches, etc. This is the worst experience I've had. I'm far from a computer expert and maybe not very smart. I'm just a dumb old doctor so maybe it should be more user friendly so us dumb people can get it to work easily and consistently like it's supposed to.
its up to orbea

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
(y)(y)
That's why I messaged the app developer (Orbea) to see if they can sort out the problems. We'll see, but I'm not holding my breath.
I was hoping that you were using it and had found the magic solution.

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
(y)(y)
That's why I messaged the app developer (Orbea) to see if they can sort out the problems. We'll see, but I'm not holding my breath.
I was hoping that you were using it and had found the magic solution.
Sent a message to the developer on Orbea RS toolbox . I did it by going onto the Garmin iq app , selecting Orbea RS toolbox and scrolling down to contact developer . Maybe if we all do it they'll pay attention .

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Seems over complicated and inconsistent to me , I had it connect automatically while getting bike out , by time I was changed and ready to leave it decided to start just searching when I tried connecting again . The instructions state it'll connect automatically when you select your chosen exercise , it clearly doesn't.

When you say you get it connected when getting the bike out but by the time you are changed it's not. Does that mean you are going back in the house away from the bike to get changed to ride? If so then I'd say you are moving too far away from your bike and it's disconnecting and, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't connections only made within the first 15 seconds of the bike being turned on? I belive that's the case for the Etube app. I'm using an Edge 820 and I boot that up first and then turn the bike on. If I do it the other way round it doesn't connect because the Garmin takes around 30 seconds to fully boot up and I think I've missed that window of connecting

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
When you say you get it connected when getting the bike out but by the time you are changed it's not. Does that mean you are going back in the house away from the bike to get changed to ride? If so then I'd say you are moving too far away from your bike and it's disconnecting and, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't connections only made within the first 15 seconds of the bike being turned on? I belive that's the case for the Etube app. I'm using an Edge 820 and I boot that up first and then turn the bike on. If I do it the other way round it doesn't connect because the Garmin takes around 30 seconds to fully boot up and I think I've missed that window of connecting
No , I'm starting again from scratch , I tested it to make sure it connected after last time , it did so thought happy days . Switched it off , deleted the activity that had briefly started and went and got changed etc . Once ready did exact same procedure again and nothing , just searching .

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
No , I'm starting again from scratch , I tested it to make sure it connected after last time , it did so thought happy days . Switched it off , deleted the activity that had briefly started and went and got changed etc . Once ready did exact same procedure again and nothing , just searching .

Ah I see. Pretty frustrating then. Have you tried this app for the garmin? Ebike Field

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
I haven't , no , does that work with the Rise ?

I haven't tried it myself but had it waiting in the wings when I was struggling to get Orbea RS one working. In the bike compatibilty list it shows Orbea with EbikeMotion 2020 revision D. Don't know if that covers the Rise??

Gustesta

Jul 26, 2020
Utah
The Ebike Field one doesn't work with Shimano motors unfortunately - but @JanCapek was working on it.

That's why I wrote this simple one for battery %: STEPS EMTB Data | Garmin Connect IQ - no idea if it works with EP8 or the Rise though ...
I've been having the same problem with my new Orbea Rise M10 and Garming 945. I get a message "Orbea RS trial is active" and when I try to use a toolbox data field it shows "Unlock the app at Garmin IQ". There's no option to unlock the toolbox on my Garmin IQ. Does anyone have any idea on how to solve this? My bike doesn't have a display.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I've been having the same problem with my new Orbea Rise M10 and Garming 945. I get a message "Orbea RS trial is active" and when I try to use a toolbox data field it shows "Unlock the app at Garmin IQ". There's no option to unlock the toolbox on my Garmin IQ. Does anyone have any idea on how to solve this? My bike doesn't have a display.

It looks like the link to the manual on the Orbea Toolbox page of the Garmin App Store no longer works :)

This one seems ok though: https://www.orbea.com/downloads/products/RISE_2021_BLUEPAPER_ES-EN.pdf

If you look at page 25 to 27 then it tells you how to unlock the app. Have you been through all that?
1610798500992.png

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
I had this same issue , I deleted it , cleared cache on my phone and tried again and it worked second time

Gustesta

Jul 26, 2020
Utah
It looks like the link to the manual on the Orbea Toolbox page of the Garmin App Store no longer works :)

This one seems ok though: https://www.orbea.com/downloads/products/RISE_2021_BLUEPAPER_ES-EN.pdf

If you look at page 25 to 27 then it tells you how to unlock the app. Have you been through all that?
View attachment 50053
I did everything you can possibly imagine. I followed those instructions etc. My Garmin IQ app doesn't give me an "unlock" option. See pictures below:
I had this same issue , I deleted it , cleared cache on my phone and tried again and it worked second time
What's is your Garmin device please? Did you have the option "unlock" on your app? Thanks

Screenshot_20210116-083045.png

Screenshot_20210116-083214.png

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
I did everything you can possibly imagine. I followed those instructions etc. My Garmin IQ app doesn't give me an "unlock" option. See pictures below:

What's is your Garmin device please? Did you have the option "unlock" on your app? Thanks

View attachment 50077

View attachment 50078
I've got the Vivoactive 3 Music watch . Initially I had same issue as your showing , I uninstalled it all and started again and got the unlock option where you sign in to Orbea website on the Garmin iq page your showing . Have to say it was a pain in the arse and took alot of messing about , it still doesn't connect everytime I switch the bike on either . If I dared deleting it all and going through it again to help you out I would , but it's working so I darent chance it lol . I'm assuming you've registered your bike warranty etc with Orbea ? Unlock takes you to the Orbea website if I remember correctly .

Gustesta

Jul 26, 2020
Utah
I've got the Vivoactive 3 Music watch . Initially I had same issue as your showing , I uninstalled it all and started again and got the unlock option where you sign in to Orbea website on the Garmin iq page your showing . Have to say it was a pain in the arse and took alot of messing about , it still doesn't connect everytime I switch the bike on either . If I dared deleting it all and going through it again to help you out I would , but it's working so I darent chance it lol . I'm assuming you've registered your bike warranty etc with Orbea ? Unlock takes you to the Orbea website if I remember correctly .
Thanks for the info. It's a hit and miss situation. I tried to use the IQ connect on my Ipad (instead of my Android phone). I think that fixed the problem. I was able to connect it to the bike, create the fields on the MTB activity and now is working REALLY WELL. It connects everytime I turn on the bike and show everything I need (cadence, mode, battery etc.).

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Thanks for the info. It's a hit and miss situation. I tried to use the IQ connect on my Ipad (instead of my Android phone). I think that fixed the problem. I was able to connect it to the bike, create the fields on the MTB activity and now is working REALLY WELL. It connects everytime I turn on the bike and show everything I need (cadence, mode, battery etc.).
Cool , glad you've sorted it ?

Cbmojo

May 20, 2020
USA
The answer to this is the following...
1. open garmin coneect
2. go to "Activities apps and more"...this in the device screen that you access by tapping your device icon at the top of the screen
3. Once open you will see Data fields...click on that
4. If you have already installed the Rise Toolbox you will see it there if not tap on "get more data fields" at the bottom of the page this will take you to the store to download the Orbea Rise toolbox...Install it and sync
5. This is the key...go back to the connect app...go back to activities & applications...go into "data fields" and you will see the orbea rise tool box installed...click on it and you will see "settings"...before you go anywhere else go to the bottom of the page and click on "view in store" this will take you to the download and UNLOCK page...from there you unlock...sync everything and you should be good to go
6. Lastly go to your device, in my case a Fenix 6...go into MTB Settings...Custom Data...choose a single layout...choose field one...choose connect IQ fields...choose orbea rs...then back out and you will see it searching for your bike

hope this helps

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
The Ebike Field one doesn't work with Shimano motors unfortunately - but @JanCapek was working on it.

That's why I wrote this simple one for battery %: STEPS EMTB Data | Garmin Connect IQ - no idea if it works with EP8 or the Rise though ...
I’ve ‘only’ got a Garmin Edge 130 and have installed Ebike Field as the RS toolbox isn’t available for the 130. Can’t get it to work though so getting a little frustrated- you say Jan Capek is working on it for Shimano motors ??

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I’ve ‘only’ got a Garmin Edge 130 and have installed Ebike Field as the RS toolbox isn’t available for the 130. Can’t get it to work though so getting a little frustrated- you say Jan Capek is working on it for Shimano motors ??

So my app uses Bluetooth which won't work with the Edge 130 unfortunately.

But the RS toolbox and Ebike Field use ANT+.

When I say Jan Capek was working on getting it to work with Shimano motors, it turns out that was from more than a year ago (where did the last year go?!) so he may not be now ... but it's a difficult problem using ANT+ with Shimano, as they use their own custom format, which they keep secret, so he was trying to reverse engineer it.

I'd suggest 2 things if you haven't tried them already :)

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
So my app uses Bluetooth which won't work with the Edge 130 unfortunately.

But the RS toolbox and Ebike Field use ANT+.

When I say Jan Capek was working on getting it to work with Shimano motors, it turns out that was from more than a year ago (where did the last year go?!) so he may not be now ... but it's a difficult problem using ANT+ with Shimano, as they use their own custom format, which they keep secret, so he was trying to reverse engineer it.

I'd suggest 2 things if you haven't tried them already :)
Thanks I’ll give it a go ! Annoying all this, so complicated; jumping from one hoop into another. Sure this could’ve been made so much simpler

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Hehe, this Orbea datafield is funny - I had video-conference with them year ago. They were asking how to make their bikes compatible with my apps, what is needed etc. And after they solve connectivity on their bikes, they silently released their own app. :) But only now I realised they have it for Shimano motors and not for their Ebike Motion bikes which now are compatible with Ebike Field!

Anyway, long time but I still didn't give up on adding Shimano compatibility to Ebike Field. ? Shame I am unable to unlock this Orbea datafield without having their Rise bike. But I will try to do some more tests anyway.

ReVolt

Jun 10, 2019
London
Hehe, this Orbea datafield is funny - I had video-conference with them year ago. They were asking how to make their bikes compatible with my apps, what is needed etc. And after they solve connectivity on their bikes, they silently released their own app. :) But only now I realised they have it for Shimano motors and not for their Ebike Motion bikes which now are compatible with Ebike Field!

Anyway, long time but I still didn't give up on adding Shimano compatibility to Ebike Field. ? Shame I am unable to unlock this Orbea datafield without having their Rise bike. But I will try to do some more tests anyway.
Thanks and please keep trying as I can only use Ebikefield with my particular Garmin !

JanCapek

Aug 16, 2018
Czech Republic
Guys, is there some volunteer who will be so kind to install my test app to Garmin device and try it to see if it will be able to connect to the Orbea Rise bike and read data from it? (or any other with Shimano and ANT+). It is safe, the app just reads communication. Test app is CIQ application, not datafield, so it will not run on Edge 130.

If yes, please send me PM with your model of Garmin and I will send you installation file. Thanks!

Last edited:

Frog

Feb 11, 2021
Ruhrgebiet
Yep very little is automatic with Garmin, so "hope" doesn't work unfortunately :) They aren't user friendly at all as their main focus is on battery efficiency and plenty of stats for athletes etc.

I just tried adding the Orbea one to my watch (Fenix 5X+) and it worked ok, but it's a technical process and tricky if you're not familiar with doing it regularly. These are the steps you should be looking to go through:
  • Choose the activity you want to add the data field to (or create a new activity)
  • Open the settings for the activity (for me it is hold left middle button while the activity is selected)
  • Go to the "data screens" section of the settings
  • Add a new data screen (last option in the list) - only gets created once you go through all the next stages (so don't back out). You can always edit it again later too.
  • Choose Custom Data
  • Choose the layout to only have one data field on the data screen
  • Choose the Orbea RS data field as the one you want to use (it will be listed under ConnectIQ fields)
  • Move the data screen up or down in the list (or leave it where it is ... this step is just confusing ... press select button top right and should be added finally)
For me after doing this, that activity then says "Orbea RS Trial Is Active" and going to the correct data screen it says "Unlock in Garmin IQ Store" - but it will hopefully work for you :)
Mark, I think I got the SOB! Thanks again for your help. Check it out, my Garmin IQ mobile app still saying in Q for download, while it’s on my watch already. It was searching for my Rise and when I turned it on it was all there.

View attachment 48833

View attachment 48834
with my fenix 6s pro, it does not work. testversion appears.

sKermi

Feb 14, 2021
Newbury, UK
Guys, is there some volunteer who will be so kind to install my test app to Garmin device and try it to see if it will be able to connect to the Orbea Rise bike and read data from it? (or any other with Shimano and ANT+). It is safe, the app just reads communication. Test app is CIQ application, not datafield, so it will not run on Edge 130.

If yes, please send me PM with your model of Garmin and I will send you installation file. Thanks!
Hi @JanCapek - Happy to help. I have sent you a message (Garmin Edge 1030)

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Does anyone know how to change the units on the Orbea Rise data field from km to miles? Currently speed and range are in km by default.

Also, when I added the data field, it works until I turn off my Garmin 830. When I power it back up, the orbea data field is gone. Ugh.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles