Orbea RS Data Field and Garmin - PITA

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Why such a pita? I've got it on my phone, hasnt downloaded, have my bike registered, Orbea tells me nothing under my account. Been monkeying with it for hours! Cant get it to my watch, although they say its compatible. Very frustrating! Ya'll have better skills? What am I missing?

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
C169C0CC-D8BD-4E61-A147-64CA2F1E269A.jpeg

Says I have it on my watch but my phone says waiting to download. It doesn’t just sync up with the bike automatically either, guess I’m gonna have to call Orbea.

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
I’ve given up! Just gonna ride. If I run out of juice it can’t be worse than Levo, Decoy or Focus which I’ve peddled out!

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
That screenshot from Garmin Express shows it is successfully installed on your watch.

In order to view the data field on your watch you need to add it to an activity, and then start that activity: can follow the instructions from page 28 of this document: RISE_2021_BLUEPAPER_EN-ES_FV.pdf (orbea.com) - it may also help to check the manual for your watch too for specific instructions for how to customize activities on that device.

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
That screenshot from Garmin Express shows it is successfully installed on your watch.

In order to view the data field on your watch you need to add it to an activity, and then start that activity: can follow the instructions from page 28 of this document: RISE_2021_BLUEPAPER_EN-ES_FV.pdf (orbea.com) - it may also help to check the manual for your watch too for specific instructions for how to customize activities on that device.
Thanks for the reply, I’ve been all through the blue paper instructions, the only thing I didn’t do was ride the bike, I have no handlebars yet! I started the bike activity, but maybe since it wasn’t moving it didn’t sync? I did not see the screen they advertise with battery, range etc.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Thanks for the reply, I’ve been all through the blue paper instructions, the only thing I didn’t do was ride the bike, I have no handlebars yet! I started the bike activity, but maybe since it wasn’t moving it didn’t sync? I did not see the screen they advertise with battery, range etc.

If the activity has multiple screens you might need to scroll through them (up & down) to find the custom one you added - unless it was added as the first page. I'd expect you to be able to see all the different pages without being connected to the bike.

If the bike is powered on I'd expect it to sync straight away - but if it doesn't try switching assist modes maybe, or turn it off and on again (just guessing here from other data fields!)

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere

When you say you started the "bike" activity - was that the activity that you added the data field to? (Just checking! :) )

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
I couldnt add the data field, it wasnt anywhere on my watch. I created a "MTB" activity and was hoping it picked it up. I will say the whole deal is zero user friendly.

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
We're dealing with Garmin here whose software is notoriously shoddy. I had a bit of a nightmare getting it on to my 820. Ended up having to do a factory reset as the device would not turn on and was just hanging at the opening loading screen. Doing that seemed to make it work

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I couldnt add the data field, it wasnt anywhere on my watch. I created a "MTB" activity and was hoping it picked it up. I will say the whole deal is zero user friendly.

Yep very little is automatic with Garmin, so "hope" doesn't work unfortunately :) They aren't user friendly at all as their main focus is on battery efficiency and plenty of stats for athletes etc.

I just tried adding the Orbea one to my watch (Fenix 5X+) and it worked ok, but it's a technical process and tricky if you're not familiar with doing it regularly. These are the steps you should be looking to go through:
  • Choose the activity you want to add the data field to (or create a new activity)
  • Open the settings for the activity (for me it is hold left middle button while the activity is selected)
  • Go to the "data screens" section of the settings
  • Add a new data screen (last option in the list) - only gets created once you go through all the next stages (so don't back out). You can always edit it again later too.
  • Choose Custom Data
  • Choose the layout to only have one data field on the data screen
  • Choose the Orbea RS data field as the one you want to use (it will be listed under ConnectIQ fields)
  • Move the data screen up or down in the list (or leave it where it is ... this step is just confusing ... press select button top right and should be added finally)
For me after doing this, that activity then says "Orbea RS Trial Is Active" and going to the correct data screen it says "Unlock in Garmin IQ Store" - but it will hopefully work for you :)

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Yep very little is automatic with Garmin, so "hope" doesn't work unfortunately :) They aren't user friendly at all as their main focus is on battery efficiency and plenty of stats for athletes etc.

I just tried adding the Orbea one to my watch (Fenix 5X+) and it worked ok, but it's a technical process and tricky if you're not familiar with doing it regularly. These are the steps you should be looking to go through:
  • Choose the activity you want to add the data field to (or create a new activity)
  • Open the settings for the activity (for me it is hold left middle button while the activity is selected)
  • Go to the "data screens" section of the settings
  • Add a new data screen (last option in the list) - only gets created once you go through all the next stages (so don't back out). You can always edit it again later too.
  • Choose Custom Data
  • Choose the layout to only have one data field on the data screen
  • Choose the Orbea RS data field as the one you want to use (it will be listed under ConnectIQ fields)
  • Move the data screen up or down in the list (or leave it where it is ... this step is just confusing ... press select button top right and should be added finally)
For me after doing this, that activity then says "Orbea RS Trial Is Active" and going to the correct data screen it says "Unlock in Garmin IQ Store" - but it will hopefully work for you :)
Awesome help right there. So where my watch falters is when I go into Data Screens, I am only offered, 4 screen faces, I don’t see custom. I’ll unpackaged and try one more time. Thanks for the great write up, I’m sure this post will help many in the future. Happy New Year!

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Mark, I think I got the SOB! Thanks again for your help. Check it out, my Garmin IQ mobile app still saying in Q for download, while it’s on my watch already. It was searching for my Rise and when I turned it on it was all there.

3CD023C7-C3C5-489D-88CD-C225644B24DF.jpeg

FB1FCA3F-F093-4871-AA85-C9FED57D6ED5.jpeg

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Mark, I think I got the SOB! Thanks again for your help. Check it out, my Garmin IQ mobile app still saying in Q for download, while it’s on my watch already. It was searching for my Rise and when I turned it on it was all there

Cool ? Hope it works now!

It looks like you have a touchscreen watch display? So the menus and navigation may well be different from mine as I just have buttons.

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
Just got hold of a secondhand Garmin Vivoactive 3 music for £65 , will be following these set up recommendations as soon as it arrives .

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Cool ? Hope it works now!

It looks like you have a touchscreen watch display? So the menus and navigation may well be different from mine as I just have buttons.
Yeah, I have touchscreen display, we’re gonna be trying out shortly.

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
I have the vivoactive 3 and it has been nothing but a pain trying to get this to work. I got it al installed and on the watch and most of the time I get nothing. Somehow it worked one time and then after that, all I get on my watch when I open the "bike" screen is "searching". It never connects to the bike and never gives me any info at all. I have tried every possible connection order...turn on watch first and then bike, poser up bike first then open app, turn bike off and on again while app is "searching", change assist settings on the bike while watch is "searching". Nothing. There are a total of 3 reviews on the Garmin Connect website for Orbea RS toolbox and it gets a total of 2 stars. Only complaints. I think Garmin has a big miss on this one. Does it works consistently for you guys and what devices do you have? Any suggestions?

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
I have the vivoactive 3 and it has been nothing but a pain trying to get this to work. I got it al installed and on the watch and most of the time I get nothing. Somehow it worked one time and then after that, all I get on my watch when I open the "bike" screen is "searching". It never connects to the bike and never gives me any info at all. I have tried every possible connection order...turn on watch first and then bike, poser up bike first then open app, turn bike off and on again while app is "searching", change assist settings on the bike while watch is "searching". Nothing. There are a total of 3 reviews on the Garmin Connect website for Orbea RS toolbox and it gets a total of 2 stars. Only complaints. I think Garmin has a big miss on this one. Does it works consistently for you guys and what devices do you have? Any suggestions?
I’m still assembling my bike (waiting on parts) but it does connect with the bike every time I try it. Make sure there are no more apps running in conjunction with your bike.

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
I've had same issue , had it yesterday where it was just searching and wouldn't connect . I had to go back to the settings for the activity I selected , mountain , and select Orbea RS again in data fields . It worked after that but I have to say it's not straight forward and very hit and miss as to whether it connects or not . I've had same issue with connection to my phone , it loses connection so won't sync data to Garmin Connect , I have to switch them both off and on again.

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
Thanks guys. I spent about an hour yesterday trying every different combination I could think of trying to get it to work and I think I may have stumbled on the the right combination for me. I had to write each combination of steps down that I tried so I knew what failed and then when I got it right, I had been doing so many different things that I forgot how I got there. Luckily I was able to recreate it and then I wrote it down so I can follow the same steps next time. Maybe I'll just get it tattooed on my arm for quick reference. Just starting the "bike" app where I have it in the data fields does not work. It just shows "searching" forever and never links. I have to open the bike app then open the settings in the app, select the data fields and then select the Orbea app and then back out of all of that while at the same time powering up the bike and then when I start the bike app, it usually shows the correct interface. Sometimes the battery level is blank and sometimes it shows the %. I didn't ride yesterday after I figured all of this out so I don't know if the battery level will show up once I get going or not. Garmin could have made this a little more difficult if they really tried, but I think they were successful in making it about as hard as possible to use. I'm using a vivoactive 3 too.

Gutch, does your vivoactive 3 work seamlessly or at least less complicated than the device gymnastics that mine requires? I was about ready to smash it with a hammer.

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Thanks guys. I spent about an hour yesterday trying every different combination I could think of trying to get it to work and I think I may have stumbled on the the right combination for me. I had to write each combination of steps down that I tried so I knew what failed and then when I got it right, I had been doing so many different things that I forgot how I got there. Luckily I was able to recreate it and then I wrote it down so I can follow the same steps next time. Maybe I'll just get it tattooed on my arm for quick reference. Just starting the "bike" app where I have it in the data fields does not work. It just shows "searching" forever and never links. I have to open the bike app then open the settings in the app, select the data fields and then select the Orbea app and then back out of all of that while at the same time powering up the bike and then when I start the bike app, it usually shows the correct interface. Sometimes the battery level is blank and sometimes it shows the %. I didn't ride yesterday after I figured all of this out so I don't know if the battery level will show up once I get going or not. Garmin could have made this a little more difficult if they really tried, but I think they were successful in making it about as hard as possible to use. I'm using a vivoactive 3 too.

Gutch, does your vivoactive 3 work seamlessly or at least less complicated than the device gymnastics that mine requires? I was about ready to smash it with a hammer.
I also have to go into edit screen 2 to confirm Orbea RS. For some reason, it’s not picking it up now!

Steve G H

Nov 22, 2020
Sleaford
I have to do same but not every time , it's a bit hit or miss . Mine also only shows % for battery , no actual figure , but after few minutes riding it rectifies itself and gives you a figure

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
I have to do same but not every time , it's a bit hit or miss . Mine also only shows % for battery , no actual figure , but after few minutes riding it rectifies itself and gives you a figure

Thanks. I wonder if these problems are mostly confined to the Vivoactive 3 watches that we are using. Any Garmin Edge users out there with some experience with it? Different or the same stupidity?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
It sounds like a Garmin problem to me (hardware or software), but it could also be a problem in the app too ...

I'd try using the "Contact Developer" link from the Garmin app store - the more people that mention the problem directly to the developer, the more likely it will get fixed :)
Or send them a link to this thread :)

jka

Dec 17, 2020
Nevada, USA
It sounds like a Garmin problem to me (hardware or software), but it could also be a problem in the app too ...

I'd try using the "Contact Developer" link from the Garmin app store - the more people that mention the problem directly to the developer, the more likely it will get fixed :)
Or send them a link to this thread :)

Definitely a Garmin app issue.
I did the review/contact developer thing and sent a link too. Everyone that is having problems should do the same.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles