Orbea RS Data Field and Garmin - PITA

l3moncho

Nov 28, 2021
Sofia, Bulgaria
Glad to see Jan is here. Hope his data field works with EP8 soon.
Has anyone managed to connect Orbea RS Toolbox to non-Orbea bike?
I’m trying to understand how to log my assistance mode and battery level into Garmin Connect

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
After owning a Rise since June I first used the RS Toolbox, then tried the E-Steps so I could see other data on the same screen like HR, Gears,
ect. on the same screen as battery % and assist mode. On several rides the RS Toolbox info failed to appear on my Garmin and I had to power off/on my bike for it to finally appear. I switched to E-Steps and only after a few rides I ran into the same issue. No battery % or assist mode for my ride. Tried turning the bike off/on, Garmin off/on, restarting my ride on Garmin and still nothing. I think sometimes it depends on if you're riding in an area without good cell service.

Anyway, I since removed both of these apps (only used/had installed 1 at a time) and under sensors in my Garmin added/paired an Ebike sensor. It shows the battery %, assist mode as 0,1,2,3 instead of ECO, TRAIL, BOOST. It also shows cadence like the RS Toolbox does. I've had 1 ride so far and it has connected every time without issue, unlike the previous apps.

Just wanted to throw out another option other than the RS Toolbox.

Jdof

Nov 6, 2021
Chile
After owning a Rise since June I first used the RS Toolbox, then tried the E-Steps so I could see other data on the same screen like HR, Gears,
ect. on the same screen as battery % and assist mode. On several rides the RS Toolbox info failed to appear on my Garmin and I had to power off/on my bike for it to finally appear. I switched to E-Steps and only after a few rides I ran into the same issue. No battery % or assist mode for my ride. Tried turning the bike off/on, Garmin off/on, restarting my ride on Garmin and still nothing. I think sometimes it depends on if you're riding in an area without good cell service.

Anyway, I since removed both of these apps (only used/had installed 1 at a time) and under sensors in my Garmin added/paired an Ebike sensor. It shows the battery %, assist mode as 0,1,2,3 instead of ECO, TRAIL, BOOST. It also shows cadence like the RS Toolbox does. I've had 1 ride so far and it has connected every time without issue, unlike the previous apps.

That’s exactly what I did. Flawless so far. Delete the RS Toolbox and couldn’t be happier.

l3moncho

Nov 28, 2021
Sofia, Bulgaria

When saying E-Steps what do you refer to?
Connect IQ data field or widget or he Garmin Steps?
Can you see later in Garmin connect stats of the mode used and battery percentage?

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
It's been said before, but I'll clarify it here again.... In order to utilize the esteps sensors directly using a head unit, you have to connect to the motor using Bluetooth LE (also called/known as Bluetooth BLE or just BLE for short) which means Bluetooth, Low Energy. This feature/connectivity is largely only available on newer cycling computers and fitness watches, or specific ones in during the change over period.

For example: The garmin edge 520 does not have bluetooth LE, but the edge 530 does. The vivoactive 3 does not have BLE, but the vivoactive 3 music and vivoactive 4 do. Etc Etc.

From my research, there do also seem to be a few work arounds that work for some specific devices/people, I believe some of them even discussed in this thread, such as connecting the motor to garmin and telling the garmin that it is a DI2 sensor. For some people, this allows them to see the battery percentage only, no assist etc.

I digress... i have a garmin edge 520 and my wife has a garmin venu watch and we both connect to our respective rise's. On my edge 520, I am using the Orbea RS toolbox and it works pretty much flawlessly. For my wife on her rise, I have hers setup to use the BLE protocol, and she just connects directly using the STeps protocol/sensors/communication and displays everything that way.

I think the BLE/Steps setup seems to be more simple... but so far, neither is any more/less reliable at the moment. I will say that the RS toolbox data displays in Garmin connect are pretty rad. Being able to see the assist level, assist %, cadence and battery in my historical data recordings is awesome, and it's letting me create my own range calculator based on the data that I am collecting so far.

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
Guys, is there some volunteer who will be so kind to install my test app to Garmin device and try it to see if it will be able to connect to the Orbea Rise bike and read data from it? (or any other with Shimano and ANT+). It is safe, the app just reads communication. Test app is CIQ application, not datafield, so it will not run on Edge 130.

If yes, please send me PM with your model of Garmin and I will send you installation file. Thanks!

Hi, i'm a little bit late, but if you want some help for test i'm here, waiting a lot for your data field and app!

KGA109

Mar 5, 2022
Salt Lake City
I just built my Rise and bought an Edge 830 specifically for the bike, and have had the same issues as others have outlined here, which is what brought me here.

Here is how I finally figured it out:

The biggest key here is that I used apps.garmin.com in a desktop browser, NOT on your phone. I could not get to the "unlock" screen from my phone, even after doing the proper registration.

Using the browser allowed me to get Garmin to access my Orbea registration and get the Data Fields setup as they should be. I've turned it off and on a few times and again this morning, and Screen 2 is properly setup. FYI.

Kevin / MTX Braking

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hey, you can now use Ebike Field (Ebike Field) even for Orbea bikes with Shimano system. Also, it is compatible for almost all possible Garmin devices including Forerunner 55.

Hi @JanCapek . So, I now have my Orbea Rise at last. Downloaded E-tube, found the bike and paired fine. I put your EBike field app on my Edge 130 Plus a while ago, all set up fine, just showing one field, battery percentage, as well as the usual Garmin fields such as speed, distance, time, altitude etc

However, when I set the Garmin to an EMTB ride, I expected the Garmin to sync with the bike immediately and the battery % to be shown. It doesn’t, I’ve just got a blank (—-) field

In the settings on your app it seems to have found the bike ok as I have a paired ID which wasn’t there before

What am I missing ? Do I actually need to ride the bike to get the battery % on the screen ? The bike is in my workshop at present, haven’t been for a ride yet, although I have turned the cranks to see if the field comes to life but it doesn’t

Any help appreciated , thanks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles