Orbea Rise H15 creaking

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
My Wife has had the Rise H15 since January and not ridden that much due to being fair weather cyclists yet the Rise has developed an annoying creak and can't seem to pinpoint exactly whats causing it. It sounds like the suspension linkages but surely, they shouldn't need attention after so few rides?

Any others experiencing annoying creaks and have any solutions please?

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I had similar, I replaced all suspension bearings but they needed doing anyway. Didn't solve it. Check the seat post and frame where they join and also the saddle rails. If they are slightly loose I found they creak.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
My Wife has had the Rise H15 since January and not ridden that much due to being fair weather cyclists yet the Rise has developed an annoying creak and can't seem to pinpoint exactly whats causing it. It sounds like the suspension linkages but surely, they shouldn't need attention after so few rides?

Any others experiencing annoying creaks and have any solutions please?
Super-Claret,

I have several tech articles on servicing the Rise upper and lower axles.

The Rise’s upper axle is notorious for causing a creaking noise. The noise will sound similar to a seat post or saddle creaking. The creaking is caused by the linkage arms slipping on the upper axle splines. When this occurs, the width between the linkage arms opens up. This allows excessive play to develop in the form of the upper axle sliding back and forth across the frame bearings. The creaking noise is the aluminum axle grinding on the steel frame bearings as the axle slides back and forth.

My tech article will walk you through a full service of the pivot bearings and setting proper pre-load on the upper axle. Setting correct pre-load is extremely important as it will alleviate the creaking noise and firm up the rear triangle.

To prevent the linkage arms from slipping again on the axle splines, Orbea specifies the use of Loctite 638 cylindrical retaining compound. You want to apply 638 very sparingly to the axle splines where they mate with the linkage arm interface. When I refer to sparingly, I mean use only a few very small/light drops on each side of the axle‘s splines and spread it around on the splines with your finger. If you go heavy with 638, you’ll have your work cut out for you getting the linkage arms back off in the future.

Note: Orbea specifies that the threaded portion of the upper axle face to the right, drive side of the bike. I personally don’t think it matters however, Orbea specifies this. You bike may come from the factory with the axle’s threaded side facing to the left, non-drive side. My Rise came with the axle facing left.

Every time you separate a linkage arm from the upper axle, it removes a bit of material. This creates an even looser tolerance, which thus leads to even more slippage and creaking. For this reason, once I‘ve applied Loctite 638 to the left, non-drive of the axle/linkage arm, I never again separate the left linkage arm from the axle. There’s no reason to do so when servicing the bike. The right side should be the only linkage arm loosened/removed.

I hope this helps you out. If you have any further questions, shoot me a message.

Be safe,
Rod

super_claret

Aug 21, 2019
North Yorkshire
Super-Claret,

I have several tech articles on servicing the Rise upper and lower axles.

The Rise’s upper axle is notorious for causing a creaking noise. The noise will sound similar to a seat post or saddle creaking. The creaking is caused by the linkage arms slipping on the upper axle splines. When this occurs, the width between the linkage arms opens up. This allows excessive play to develop in the form of the upper axle sliding back and forth across the frame bearings. The creaking noise is the aluminum axle grinding on the steel frame bearings as the axle slides back and forth.

My tech article will walk you through a full service of the pivot bearings and setting proper pre-load on the upper axle. Setting correct pre-load is extremely important as it will alleviate the creaking noise and firm up the rear triangle.

To prevent the linkage arms from slipping again on the axle splines, Orbea specifies the use of Loctite 638 cylindrical retaining compound. You want to apply 638 very sparingly to the axle splines where they mate with the linkage arm interface. When I refer to sparingly, I mean use only a few very small/light drops on each side of the axle‘s splines and spread it around on the splines with your finger. If you go heavy with 638, you’ll have your work cut out for you getting the linkage arms back off in the future.

Note: Orbea specifies that the threaded portion of the upper axle face to the right, drive side of the bike. I personally don’t think it matters however, Orbea specifies this. You bike may come from the factory with the axle’s threaded side facing to the left, non-drive side. My Rise came with the axle facing left.

Every time you separate a linkage arm from the upper axle, it removes a bit of material. This creates an even looser tolerance, which thus leads to even more slippage and creaking. For this reason, once I‘ve applied Loctite 638 to the left, non-drive of the axle/linkage arm, I never again separate the left linkage arm from the axle. There’s no reason to do so when servicing the bike. The right side should be the only linkage arm loosened/removed.

I hope this helps you out. If you have any further questions, shoot me a message.

Be safe,
Rod
Thanks Rod, will look at this when I get chance. Plenty of time though, as I don’t have a charger for the bike at the moment. Been 3 weeks without one and just been told that it’s not been shipped by Orbea yet!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles