orbea rise carbon 2023: news

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
This is a wish... No news announced yet as far as I can see and I get announcements direct being an owner of a Rise. Alloy Rise (H-Series) has the bigger battery, unsure whether they will put it in an updated M-Rise as it would increase weight marginally.

Personally, I don't have an issue with range on the current carbon Rise...

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
That would be nice if it was the case but for longer rides I have the 252whr extender anyway so that gives me 612whr total and a 40 mile range. Probably only adds another Kg or so. For new buyers this would be enticing but not enough to swap from existing...

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Wonder if you can buy the 540s battery aftermarket? Interesting proposition yet I find that most of the rides I do run less than the full charge. It's a challenge to run without the motor as much as possible. If the battery is too much then forget it and buy the extender.. only the extra weight when you want it. Any thoughts?

MAster

Nov 6, 2022
Germany
Rise M 2023 will get the 4A smart charger with default 360 Wh and optional 540Wh, so it matches the Rise H System. This i have seen in a German Webshop on a preliminary product page. Ride on 🤙

MAster

Nov 6, 2022
Germany
Smart Charger? Does this have to do with optimal charging cycles? ie, not fully charing every time as to increase life of battery etc? thanks for info
It can adopt the charging current in dependency of parameters such as the State of Charge. Normally the strategy in EV‘s is to charge with high current until 80% and then with lower currents until the end-of-charge voltage is reached.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
The only smart in Obrea's smart charger is the 4A/2A switching between extender/ battery charging. there is no other smart feature. At least this was the response when I emailed Orbea about it.

MAster

Nov 6, 2022
Germany
The only smart in Obrea's smart charger is the 4A/2A switching between extender/ battery charging. there is no other smart feature. At least this was the response when I emailed Orbea about it.
You are right, that is what the homepage says. I hoped for a real Smart Charger…
The old one reminds me back in the time when I was playing with my RC cars in the 90‘s… also the switching noise of the Relais …

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
You are right, that is what the homepage says. I hoped for a real Smart Charger…
The old one reminds me back in the time when I was playing with my RC cars in the 90‘s… also the switching noise of the Relais …

As a former RC racing addict (from the 90s era and then through to current, nicad - nimh - lipo) I have to say that I find it some what offensive that a charger for a 7-12k bike is such a piece of @#$^. How is it possible that the charger isn't at 200-400 piece of hardware that provides bluetooth connectivity or at least an LCD screen. And also doesn't have verbose balancing information and processes as well as discharge, maintenance and storage functionality.

I don't exactly want to pay another 400 or so for the bike, but FFS for as much as we're paying, how come the charger for these things is dumber then my old tekin bc112a that i used in 1995.

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
Honestly - there's really no point of having a "smart charger" as they would cater to very specific set of people who rides very often and will do anything to reduce battery degradation. In fact, this "smart feature" shouldnt even be implemented in the charger but on the motor / brains instead allowing the user to choose how much to charge eg. 80 or 90% instead of 100. And for Riding, give a warning at 10 or 20% so user can choose to turn off motor to prevent draining to zero.

Managing charging speed of our batteries is absolutely useless because the "max" speed we can charge at isn't even close to the speed of EV charging. Here's some facts:

Rise battery = same cells tesla uses in their vehicle (H: 21700 or M: 18650 > lithium ion compound)
Fastest charging speed of our charger = .3 Kw / hour or 300w/hour
L1 charging with tesla = 1.8kw / hour or 1800w / hour
L2 charging with tesla that can sustain to 100% = 7kw or 7000w / hour

Given these parameters, the batteries can handle the charging speed without requiring charging adjustment like in EVs, so really only smart feature is choosing a "charge up to".

MAster

Nov 6, 2022
Germany
Honestly - there's really no point of having a "smart charger" as they would cater to very specific set of people who rides very often and will do anything to reduce battery degradation. In fact, this "smart feature" shouldnt even be implemented in the charger but on the motor / brains instead allowing the user to choose how much to charge eg. 80 or 90% instead of 100. And for Riding, give a warning at 10 or 20% so user can choose to turn off motor to prevent draining to zero.

Managing charging speed of our batteries is absolutely useless because the "max" speed we can charge at isn't even close to the speed of EV charging. Here's some facts:

Rise battery = same cells tesla uses in their vehicle (H: 21700 or M: 18650 > lithium ion compound)
Fastest charging speed of our charger = .3 Kw / hour or 300w/hour
L1 charging with tesla = 1.8kw / hour or 1800w / hour
L2 charging with tesla that can sustain to 100% = 7kw or 7000w / hour

Given these parameters, the batteries can handle the charging speed without requiring charging adjustment like in EVs, so really only smart feature is choosing a "charge up to".
I’m not sure about your calculation. You have to look at the current that flows through one cell in dependency of serial and parallel connection of the cell. I could not find information for max. C rate of Tesla’s cell’s - guess they are LiFePo and not NMC type? But from practical point it is always worth to have a intelligent charging when you want to charge your cell between 80-100% because in this range the inner resistance rises and also the heating.
According to Orbea’s website say use also 21700 cells in the rise M.

Cheers

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
All "Lithium" require "smart" charging. The battery. composed of small cells. must be balanced so the individual cells get charged equally. But the "smarts" can be in the charger or in a Battery Management System BMS mounted inside the battery. Just because the charger is "dumb" does not mean the battery is not being managed.
If a Lithium ION/Polymer battery is overcharged it can be destroyed and even catch fire.

Frankyspec

Dec 3, 2022
Belgium
Hello everyone,
I am new on this forum, Frank from Belgium. Very interesting forum and currently still( mtb more than 20 years) on non emtb, Cannondale fsi and looking to buy the Trek EXe 9.8 XT or the Orbea Rise M10 model 2023… difficult choice.
Are there bikers who already change the settings of region from EU towards US settings? Is this already possible with the TQ motor of the Trek? I already did a test drive on the Rise M10 and whas a very nice experience , we ride mostly above 25km/h (except uphill)and would be great to have support around 32 km/h…
I don’t now if it is possible for the new motor on the model 2023 Rise M10?
For me it’s only the purpose to change region, nothing else…support till 32km/h is just fine.
Thx for sharing your experiences …

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles