Opinions please!

SB9806

Feb 26, 2022
West Midlands
Good Evening all,

I hope we’re all well! This is my first post so go gentle please :LOL:

I was hoping I could gain some opinions please on my roof rack. I picked up a new eeb yesterday and putting it quite simply, man handling the thing into my boot is a right pain in my back side and it has already resulted in scratched bumper.

So I have popped it on my Thule 568, it actually feels really solid. But it’s 1kg over the weight limit going by Thules websites, 18kg, some third party sites say 20kg. Thats with the wheel off and battery out. It’s also 12mm over the max wheelbase, that doesn’t feel the case when fitted.

So my question is would you? Or not. Getting a tow ball fitted is out of the question.

Thanks in advance
E6E7B844-1725-40E4-8514-1F12940DFF46.jpeg

Justinitus

Feb 15, 2022
Wiltshire UK
From the photo, it doesn’t appear too long as the rear wheel tray is still not at its maximum - so I think that part is ok. As for the weight limit I’d probably risk it and just drive carefully. Is it rock solid? How easy was it to mount the bike up there? If it was a struggle, imagine losing your grip while loading or doing it when tired after a ride.

I‘d considered this very rack but strength wise lifting it I decided to put it in the boot. I've ordered an extended (seats down) boot liner with a flap that folds out to cover the bumper.

Mike Malanowicz

Feb 8, 2022
Warsaw, Poland
I had the same issue, but went for Aguri Marathon Silver instead (3x cheaper, 20kg weight limit). In general, I tend to drive with 3 eBikes on the roof without any problems. Of course I drive slower (up to 130kph) and especially limit speed when cornering. Don't worry. It will hold!

SB9806

Feb 26, 2022
West Midlands
Nice pic ..

This seems a bit ambiguous ?!!? Like can you, can't you ? Or it's out of the question because that's already assigned to beer tokens ?

I wouldn’t be seeing much change out of 1k so you could say it’s assigned to tokens :LOL: it’s also a lease car, so I’d rather not spend that sort of money only for the car to go back in a couple of years

SB9806

Feb 26, 2022
West Midlands
From the photo, it doesn’t appear too long as the rear wheel tray is still not at its maximum - so I think that part is ok. As for the weight limit I’d probably risk it and just drive carefully. Is it rock solid? How easy was it to mount the bike up there? If it was a struggle, imagine losing your grip while loading or doing it when tired after a ride.

I‘d considered this very rack but strength wise lifting it I decided to put it in the boot. I've ordered an extended (seats down) boot liner with a flap that folds out to cover the bumper.

would you believe it was easier getting it up there than it was man handling into the boot
:ROFLMAO: It is rock solid, which is what made me think, maybe it will be ok. A liner will be my, if all else fails option

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The only reservation I have about loading my emtb onto a roof rack is what do I do when I've had an off. I usually end up damaging one of my shoulders to the extent that I can't raise my elbow above normal elbow height. Getting an emtb up there would be very difficult and painful, if possible at all. If you are out on your own then you are relying on help from strangers.

One of my mtb mates takes a folding step to make it easier to get his lightweight mtb into position on his roof.

PS: I said the "the only reservation", errrr, that and driving onto ferries, into muti-storey car parks etc, and wiping the bike clean off the roof! :eek:

Justinitus

Feb 15, 2022
Wiltshire UK
would you believe it was easier getting it up there than it was man handling into the boot
:ROFLMAO: It is rock solid, which is what made me think, maybe it will be ok. A liner will be my, if all else fails option

I’ve been thinking about this bike carrier again since your post and out of interest I bought one. I had the bike in the boot recently after a day out and had ridden through some dog poop I didn’t know about…. Omg that was a stinky 2hr drive home!

This carrier is really good! Obviously I have to remove battery and front wheel - which I have to do anyway if putting the bike in the boot - but the rack itself is one of the best I’ve used. With the battery removed and front wheel off my bike is 17.6kg. Just pop the axle adapter into your fork, lift the bike up and it just clicks into place. Super solid once up there too, no wobbles or creaks at all.

7BA565CE-A415-4416-8286-1107CEBCFB77.jpeg

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
I wouldn't worry about it being 1Kg over to be honest. I have used this rack with non ebike MTB's and the problem I see is that day when you miss and drop your fork onto the roof its a worry even with a light weight MTB, which put marks on my roof, so I would really worry about doing that on a lease car with an 18Kg bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles