Opinions sought

Stan63

Jun 30, 2021
UK
Hello, looking for opinions about a purchase I recently made.

Last week I bought some new Fox 36 forks from a large online store. The item description and image matches that of the current information page on the Fox website.

What I received were Fox 36 forks in a plain cardboard box, with no installation or user manuals, or warranty information. The paint finish on the lowers is matt, not gloss, and without decals, as shown on the store website,

When I contacted the store they said they did not have the item I ordered in stock, with no explanation about what I received or why.

The store has offered £30 store credit if I keep the forks, or full refund if I return them. The £30 store credit strikes me as a bit tight. The value of £30 customer credit to them is what, £10, £15 at most?

When I put the serial number into the Fox website it says that the fork is a 2021 model! Tjat doesn't bother me too much. The unbranded box and no paperwork is what bothers me most. The box because it makes me think that they are not for retail, perhaps from an unbuilt bike, hence the lack of decals as they would / may be bike brand specific?

I am well aware that the box and decals issue may be all in my head 😀

All opinions welcome, thanks in advance 👍

Chris

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
The unbranded box and no paperwork is what bothers me most.

Did you get it cheaper ?

Thats standard its probably an OEM fork, supplied to be fitted on a bike by the bike shop/company etc supplier, and no expected to be sold individually as a retail unit.

I recently bought a new RS Pike select+ for £208, from Ribble. Same thing there, the fork was originally going to be fitted to one of the bikes they build for sale and became surplus. So they sold it as an individual unit, and it arrived with spacers, a sticker but in a plain cardboard box.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
They sent you a fork that doesn't look like a factory original, with no documentation, in an unmarked box. The best you can hope for is that it might be a Fox fork that's a couple years old. Worst case is that it's some gray market knock-off. Call me cynical and impatient, but I would demand an immediate refund and return postage.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Worst case is that it's some gray market knock-off. Call me cynical and impatient, but I would demand an immediate refund and return postage.
Coming from a large company thats unlikely. But given mine was an oem, and i was having issues with the fact it came in an unmarked box, then yes I could return it.
But given a new pike select+ costs £500+ I'd kind of be cutting off my nose to spite my face and be losing out another 300 quid, just so i could buy one in a branded box.
£300 is a hell of a price to pay for a cardboard box.

200 quid for a pike select+ is a hell of a price, and I wouldnt care if it came in pink with flowers on it.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Coming from a large company thats unlikely. But given mine was an oem, and i was having issues with the fact it came in an unmarked box, then yes I could return it.
But given a new pike select+ costs £500+ I'd kind of be cutting off my nose to spite my face and be losing out another 300 quid, just so i could buy one in a branded box.
£300 is a hell of a price to pay for a cardboard box.

200 quid for a pike select+ is a hell of a price, and I wouldnt care if it came in pink with flowers on it.
Ive bought loads of forks in the past that were headed for OEM market and they have all come in a plain box
I dont see a problem either to be honest .

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Same as has been said before, unless you got a big price discount then send it back "not as described". Your choice, but it's a 2021 fork, not the latest. If you paid the price for a 2023 fork, then you have been misled.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles