Old blokes who should know better.....

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Yep, another old bloke who did the same thing today in Delamere Forest :cry::ROFLMAO:
07D84334-B8FD-404A-8DD9-F17FCCDEC836.jpeg

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
yes mate, for me this is just to see if I have the stones to get up in the air or whether I feel like I never want to do it again. I have a steep hill behind the house I can use as a drop and run in for a larger jump that ill build out of dirt but I wanna have a larger wood ramp too, I'll grab an 8x4 next week to make a 3' high jump, not decided on the landing yet though. what I have found is that the second ramp I made was a 9' radius and was longer, it was way way easier to use than the first one I made which was 7' and shorter
Jumping bikes is very addictive . Keep posting the vids , what you’re doing is harder than pro’s jumping canyon gaps !

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Jumping bikes is very addictive . Keep posting the vids , what you’re doing is harder than pro’s jumping canyon gaps !

thanks man! ill leave the pro's with the canyon gaps I reckon :D :D
really hoping to get some time at the end of next week to skive off for a cheeky visit to BPW but I wont know until wed/thu if I can... there will be video !!!!

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Are these ramps really going to help build skills and muscle memory that might be useful when riding trails? I would say no!
They are too short for a trail bike, even more for an ebike, the transition is different from what is found on nature.
I have seen the writing here, maybe should remind... this may get outright dangerous.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Do I understand that the correct method is to try to keep the rubber bit at the bottom? :unsure:

I think that's somewhat of an over simplification. Video's 6,7 & 8 will begin to show Dobby has friends with stretchers, demonstrating front flips, back flips and barrel rolls . Trying to keep the rubber bit at the bottom for any of these can be dangerous !

If you mean keep the rubber bit at your bottom, that's also dangerous and normally results in rapid friction induced braking and an OTB.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Are these ramps really going to help build skills and muscle memory that might be useful when riding trails? I would say no!
They are too short for a trail bike, even more for an ebike, the transition is different from what is found on nature.
What on earth are you on about?
a natural kicker can be something as simple/small as a root, rock or simple change in gradient from a dip or furrow etc.
you can use a kerb stone to launch any mtb into the air
The length of the bike just alters the weight positioning and timing required by the rider.

ALL Riding increases muscle memory, balance and skill.
how much by depends on how you ride and how useful will depend on how quickly you learn/adapt.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
What on earth are you on about?
a natural kicker can be something as simple/small as a root, rock or simple change in gradient from a dip or furrow etc.
you can use a kerb stone to launch any mtb into the air
The length of the bike just alters the weight positioning and timing required by the rider.

ALL Riding increases muscle memory, balance and skill.
how much by depends on how you ride and how useful will depend on how quickly you learn/adapt.
Well, risk management and “cost of opportunity” concepts may be applied to the learning curve to optimize it I mean.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm starting to wonder if I have an unfortunate case of Muscle Amnesia ...
I can go one up in the misery memoir stakes. I'm pretty sure that I have biking dispraxia!

In adults, symptoms include:
  • Poor posture and fatigue.
  • Trouble completing normal chores.
  • Less close control - writing and drawing are difficult.
  • Difficulty coordinating both sides of the body.
  • Unclear speech, often word order can be jumbled.
  • Clumsy movement and tendency to trip over.
I think I've got four of those!

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Jumping is irrelevant....what is important is how to land:unsure::p:p
I can fly, I just can't land. The problem is the longer the fligh, the worse the landing can be.
Who was it that said, "The art of flying, is the ability to throw yourself at the ground, and missing it!".

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

I'm going to add "dyscalculia" to your prognosis.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I can go one up in the misery memoir stakes. I'm pretty sure that I have biking dispraxia!
As legal guardian of a child (now adult) with actual diagnosed dyspraxia I can confirm cycling/biking to be a great help in improving motor skills, balance, awareness and co-ordination. Any repetitive physical activity is but the nature of biking and the visual spacial skills required make it brilliant once basic balance etc is achieved.

in your case. I'd veer towards Dr Rusty's diagnosis.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Well, risk management and “cost of opportunity” concepts may be applied to the learning curve to optimize it I mean.
Nope. No idea what you're whittering on about at all mate.
Try "just" riding your bike. ;)

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Its never too late:

It costs me a lot to be spending time in here and I try to give useful good advice.
I’d be riding my bikes but the cardio only will allow me after a catheterysm next week ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If Banana's are grown native to your proximity they have to be one of the easiest foods possible to gather. I grew up in a fishing town. and can equivocally say. Fish not so much.
I wouldn't ever join a long queue for ice cream either.
Ann and Bob look like the unhappiest couple I've ever seen. And living in Scotland that's quite a feat.
hope this helps.

I'm now at least thankful it's shite weather outside.
your "advice" is probably best shared outside a mtb jumping thread

hope your op goes well

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.

In adults, symptoms include:

5 ........................You forgot the bad memory!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Crappy weather .. we have torrential rain .. torrential hail and crazy wind .. with tiny splashes of calm and sunshine ?!?! Horses are looking pissed and will be wanting to come in early.. I looked pissed putting fence posts in this morning, so I can relate to them ..

Anyway, more importantly .. that soft wet ground ... dobby's bike park ... is just crying out for you to hoon around and tear up some new berms ! :)

Just think how soft and squishy that ground is for crash landing ! PERFECT !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles