Old blokes who should know better.....

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
trust me .. the trails here are rock on rock on rock with some rock .. and at first you think, this is just freekin impossible .. but I stick with it, did a bit of suspension twiddle and you do actually adjust ..

I think I posted somewhere where I thought the cold weather was fecking with my suspension on a 3 degree day (c) because the rear felt so freekin hard, then found I'd accidentally locked the rear :) OK, I'm a muppet, but that was on 3 bar and YOU do adjust !!!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
No.

but I don't case tabletops on blue trails

Or puncture in trail centre rock gardens
But you have 400000000 years experience and not 3 months !!! Give the kid a break ! We all learn somehow .. somewhere !

And you don't case table tops anywhere - you have tallent - use your tallent as a reference, not a comparison.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Fair point.

i wasn't actually comparing myself to the lad TBF. Just pointing out some of the positives of running high(er) pressures

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Fair point.

i wasn't actually comparing myself to the lad TBF. Just pointing out some of the positives of running high(er) pressures
Like Luke, he will be better than you ! :) well, maybe .. You should have a weekend in Wales and give him some tips - they'll obviously have to keep all the local females away or their expectations will be unreasonably raised :)

Tyre pressure is a funny one .. I wish I had the confidence to always run 3 bar as I like the consistency and predictability. Where as I always liked the tyre saving my ass before ... :)

(and I am having a grumpy evening)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Tyre pressure is a funny one .. I wish I had the confidence to always run 3 bar as I like the consistency and predictability.
It is. I'm actually running 55psi front and rear on my Emtb at the moment. and have been for around a month. Because I'm commuting on it more than riding it on technical trails. It's massively consistent and predictable even off road. You just have to lower your expectations and be cool with lower level of grip and earlier breakaway at the limit.
Ultimate grip or comfort just doesn't interest me anymore and put more value in seriously supportive fast rolling (but light) tyres for manualling, jumping and fucking about with no chance of vagueness or squirm when leant over.
Mad man ! :)
Not really. it's a carbon race bike which runs 25mm race tyres (ie. pretty supple and grippy). frame/fork doesn't have clearance for even a 28mm tyre. Living in the sticks surrounded by farmland means every ride involves shite quality roads. (Not that Edinburgh city centre roads are any better condition TBF)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It's just a preference Dobby. And very few folk have the preference I do.

also bear in mind i run single plys (exo)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
1635710242459.png

??

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ultimate grip or comfort just doesn't interest me anymore and put more value in seriously supportive fast rolling (but light) tyres for manualling, jumping and fucking about with no chance of vagueness or squirm when leant over.
I think we all "adjust" .. if bikes had solid tires, we'd adjust and they'd be like that.

You have the advantage of ability/experience which I think makes these things less relevant. If you watch the peaty video I donked in the video thread he was only a few seconds faster on bikes 15 years different. Where as for me at the beginning, 15 psi meant I got down a trail because the tyres overcame my incompetence (plus 120 suspension and hard tails) . Now I'm slightly better it's slightly less relevant- but you also learn a lot more about the bike as you go along overtime and a zillion other factors. But 150-180 bikes take the requirement away from the tyre to the same extent - assuming you don't expect the tyre to make up for bad line choice/technique - but again - they're experience/ability and it's all amusing seeing the changes.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Peaty won a UK national DH race by quite a significant margin after his shock blew on the start line (zero damping).
I wasn't surprised by his results down the Pleney. Or once he got over the sketchiness that he said he'd found the old bike more fun.

If I was racing (a gravity event) I wouldn't run anywhere near those pressures OR dual compound OR exo casing

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
It's just a preference Dobby. And very few folk have the preference I do.

well, I need all the help i can get, DH casing (or super gravity now) tyres and 24/28psi front/rear. I did try them at 26/32 which is how I had them on my spesh enduro but I didnt get along with it, like I said my eyeballs couldnt keep up over the rocks.
@Zimmerframe is right though, progress brings change and thats happened for me by way of the way I run my suspension is way less trail rider and way harder for the drops etc.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
well, I need all the help i can get, DH casing (or super gravity now) tyres and 24/28psi front/rear. I did try them at 26/32 which is how I had them on my spesh enduro but I didnt get along with it, like I said my eyeballs couldnt keep up over the rocks.
@Zimmerframe is right though, progress brings change and thats happened for me by way of the way I run my suspension is way less trail rider and way harder for the drops etc.
It's funny you say that as I went though a similar stage with literally losing vision on the gnarly at speed.

Part I think was body position and part was suspension setup. My initial reaction was less tyre pressure, which had more downsides than upsides :)

So spent a lot of time learning and understanding suspension at that point. It's a fine line between soft to soak up every "small bump" .. but too soft that you don't have support and it's deadly on drops etc. To make it more complicated. It's not fixed. You get it perfect, so go faster - because it's perfect, then it's not perfect anymore :)

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
video from the forum meet at forest of dean on Sunday. poor Sam, not ridden stuff like that yet so he struggled big time. I am hoping that as he grows into the bike more he finds stopping a bit easier as he definitely struggles with it now..
also my first time at FOD, enjoyed it and want to go back to have a look at GBU etc.

Ogofmole

Oct 30, 2021
Wales, UK
Not sure if I fit in as Old Bloke yet, but I will be retiring from work next year and intend doing a lot more mountain biking. When I lived in Hereford we spent most weekends down in the Forest of Dean, so know those single tracks well. But now live in the Brecon Beacons, so most of my riding is now on open moorland using both non assist and e bike .

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Not sure if I fit in as Old Bloke yet, but I will be retiring from work next year and intend doing a lot more mountain biking. When I lived in Hereford we spent most weekends down in the Forest of Dean, so know those single tracks well. But now live in the Brecon Beacons, so most of my riding is now on open moorland using both non assist and e bike .
well, I have probably done a fair few of the routes you usually do, around trefil quarry and up the tramway at talybot, the gap etc etc..
I live near Llandovery so if you fancy riding sometime let me know

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Any pressurized jet, whether water or air, will drive dirt past seals and into bearings, bushings, and other areas that are best kept clean. Old blokes know this.
have you tried the muc off one? its very low pressure, I can put my hand right over the outlet of the jet. probably not as savage as a hosepipe in a high water pressure area. but yea, even a hosepipe will penetrate seals and bearings so.. crack on.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
have you tried the muc off one? its very low pressure, I can put my hand right over the outlet of the jet.

Yeah, I understand that mud is sometimes difficult to get off. If water is required to clean my bike, I use the hose judiciously. Sometimes I see guys using a jet stream or an air hose. All I can think is how much their bike hates them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles