Old blokes who should know better.....

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Sh1t, didn't realise that, what a combination, no traction on top and then a nice crust to break through when you come a cropper. Have ridden motorbikes in complete slop before and after a while you just know EVERYTHING is slippery. An icy crust would definitely add a degree of Russian roulette to your ride.

NZSpokes

Sep 29, 2020
Auckland, New Zealand
I chanced upon this MTB YouTube channel (Best day ever MTB) made up of a hard-case group of ‘senior’ kiwis getting into all sorts of fun, trying all sorts of trails sometimes above their skill level. The presenter is “Lance” and he rides an eMTB regularly. I envy their peer group as the appear to be similar in skills and I suppose disposable income as well because they’ve got a few travelling episodes in Whistler, Canada venturing into double black trails. I usually can’t watch home-grown MTB videos for very long, but with these guys it’s easy for me to watch the whole thing. Here’s one where they take to jumps like young’uns...

Lance is local to me and we are trying to meet up for a ride.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I relearned something I already knew yesterday. You get what you pay for.....

After struggling to get used to flats after years of clips I decided to buy a premium set of shoes and pedals reasoning that lots of people seem to manage.. I gotta say, it’s a big improvement and I almost feel clipped in, no more pedal float on the upstroke and no losing my pedals or getting shaken off on techy rough and fast descents.. wish I had done it ages ago.

20B0E700-8B01-4202-A5E7-B150B2B9581D.jpeg

Sidepod

Sep 2, 2020
Oxford
I relearned something I already knew yesterday. You get what you pay for.....

After struggling to get used to flats after years of clips I decided to buy a premium set of shoes and pedals reasoning that lots of people seem to manage.. I gotta say, it’s a big improvement and I almost feel clipped in, no more pedal float on the upstroke and no losing my pedals or getting shaken off on techy rough and fast descents.. wish I had done it ages ago.

View attachment 57054
Interesting. I popped out of my clips today on a landing. Spooked me a bit as I don’t want to tighten them, they’ve been how they are for years. I did think at the time how on earth flats would be. I can feel a purchase looming.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Interesting. I popped out of my clips today on a landing. Spooked me a bit as I don’t want to tighten them, they’ve been how they are for years. I did think at the time how on earth flats would be. I can feel a purchase looming.
ive done that as well when my cleats and pedals were old and worn and the fit wasnt so precise.
I debated for ages whether to go for crank brothers DH pedals and a set of something like five ten kestrel clip shoes. im glad I didnt, I really like what I have now.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
and I jus took delivery of a red Giro helmet, ive gone all in on red which means I can only buy red bikes now :ROFLMAO:
I bought some decathlon football tops lately to wear "under armour" .. They're amazing. dry really fast, so wick sweat and you're way less de-hydrated after a ride as you're not having to keep pointlessly pumping out fluids .. Unfortunately, when I went to order more, only red was available .. This is turns out was a mistake .. a skintight red top just makes you look like spiderman !!! Red is good - but not the answer to everything !

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'm nor rising @Zimmerframe !
I can actually speak some welsh ! It has a lot of similarities to Breton. I was dragged up there for a couple of years at one point a long time ago and Welsh was compulsory at school.

I am a bit concerned how similar Dobby looks to Twm Sion Cati, they even have virtually identical riding gear - you don't think Dobby's like Welsh Highlander or something do you ? Stick a fox pro frame on and WHAM !

dobby.jpg

Even the exact same pose we saw in the "How do I build this jump" videos !

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
@Zimmerframe Very similar and quite easy to understand one another. I remember visiting Quimperle / Concarneau as youf in summer of '69 and more communication Welsh / Breton than franglais.

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
how many of those are there on here? quite a few is the impression I get..
anyway, I am definitely an 'old bloke who should know better' and having recently got back into biking after about 15 years off with only the occasional local ride, ive found that a lot has changed.. bikeparks are a big thing now but last time I was riding a lot, aston hill was the only one I had heard of and been to.

anyway, I've never jumped or dropped off unless these were natural trail features that you could occasionally session and when I bought my e-bike I had no intention of going to a bikepark..

anyway, I went to cwm rhaedr and did a few laps which was ok but I am still more of an adventure rider and didn't really enjoy it but then @Kiwi in Wales showed me around brechfa and I had a ride in the surrey hills which were both fun so now I wanna try a bikepark! ive watched a load of videos and if you cant jump I don't reckon you'll get as much out of the day at the park then if you could..
so I thought I would try it, looked on youtube, found instructions, made a kicker ramp and tried it out..

out of interest, how many out there are like me, either older or back after a break etc.. i've seen a lot of guys on youtube that seem to have come to biking late in life, they don't have any basic skills at all and I just wonder if they are the type of kids that weren't allowed a bike as a kid (yes they exist) and are now having to learn everything from scratch...

anyway, started a separate channel from the guitars and uploaded my first vid.. take a look if you have 2 mins cos I while I didnt die or anything, I wasnt exactly smooth and all jumping help and advice is welcome...

"out of interest, how many out there are like me, either older or back after a break"

I'm actually back after breaking my back...

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Likewise, spinal surgery. Left me with paralysis in left calf and foot so wear a leg brace. More recently shoulder surgery following someone driving into the back of my car and causing rotator cuff tendon damage.

I then rattle down stuff and get some strange looks when people see how old I am and the leg brace.

I definitely fall into this classification and proud to be here! ?

"Life's not a rehearsal!"

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Likewise, spinal surgery. Left me with paralysis in left calf and foot so wear a leg brace. More recently shoulder surgery following someone driving into the back of my car and causing rotator cuff tendon damage.

I then rattle down stuff and get some strange looks when people see how old I am and the leg brace.

I definitely fall into this classification and proud to be here! ?

"Life's not a rehearsal!"
Bloody hell mate, banged up! Bet you’re definitely glad ebikes are a thing!

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
"out of interest, how many out there are like me, either older or back after a break"

I'm actually back after breaking my back...
Oh wow... that sounds a bit Epic.
I don't fit in this group at all then. I am only turning 60 later this year, and despite my unsatisfying desire for action sports like Windsurfing, mountain biking, skiing (Powder and backcountry preferred), snowboarding (Race boards are cool), I have managed to keep my body parts all relatively intact! (Touch wood). Relative is relative you know.
I just bought a new toy.
One of these.
1617265725884.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles