Oh dear! I've got saddle sores!

Heckler Sb130

Aug 15, 2022
Gothed75
I've been riding for many years and never been troubled with saddle sores before. I thought it was the preserve of long distance riders. I started with some discomfort a few weeks ago and didn't realise it was a saddle sore, didn't know what it was to be honest. It was a red and painful lump under the skin between the scrotum and my right leg, closer to the scrotum. I smeared Savlon (a general purpose antiseptic cream) on it for a few days and the lump went away. No further trouble for about a week.

Then last ride, it struck me again. This time exactly half way between scrotum and right leg. Again, it's under the skin and forms a cluster of small red swellings. I treated with Savlon as before because it worked last time. Doesn't look much, but it is painful if pressed. Off the bike I can go about my daily business - doesn't stop me doing anything, but I can feel every touch of my trouser seams. :eek: I sit with my legs apart a bit more than usual and I sure don't want to ride for a while! :(

After every ride, all the kit touching my skin has always gone in the washing machine. I use a 40degC programme so I add an anti-bacterial liquid to kill any bugs that might be in there. So all should be well in that area. I have read that I should use an anti-septic wipe as soon as possible after every ride, before I drive home. Thoughts?

Today I ordered some new padded short liners and changed my saddle that I've been using for the last year, the one supplied by Focus. I was never 100% about the Focus saddle, but it was "OK". Instead, I fitted my favourite saddle for many years the WTB Rocket V (sadly not made any more, but I had a new spare).

Some questions:

Do you have any advice as to what else I can do?
How long does it take for saddle sores to go away for good?
Now I've been struck, will they return more frequently? (Please no, not that! :eek: )

Please tell me that I'm not doomed to suffer for all eternity. :eek::unsure::(
SQ LAB 60X Saddle will for the game changing win!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles