Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

That's the theory for running narrow tyres on 4x4s and I used to think the same for mtbs, but when you look at the spacing of the tread blocks of a 2.4 vs 2.6 you'll see why it's the opposite for many of the popular tyres used during UK winters (e.g. Magic Mary). The 2.6 will clear the mud far more effectively than the 2.4. If I was just riding X-C I'd consider a narrow tyre but for me, the ride through the mud is to get to the technical decents and I find the 2.6 MM wins hands down.
Perhaps it is a fine line there. I am comfortable with a good 2.6 Maxxis something mudtyre, but have also tried a 2.8 and that was like water skiing. I prefer 2.4s in muddy conditions.

BigFoot

Jan 9, 2019
Bethesda, Maryland USA
Nice road bike maan!

Apac
I believe the bike is trail worthy now I’ve installed 2.6 XR4 tires , a 2.5 pound sledge hammer , and I’ve managed to get the bike up to 36 lbs. 13 oz. ?
Although the seat seems a bit come uncomfortable at this point.

EE6B191E-A15F-491D-B46D-0220561C7C9F.jpeg

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
That's 16.7kg's, still really light. My SL is currently sitting at approx 17.5kg... size large.

celbii

Dec 20, 2020
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I've just ordered a set of 29x2.25 Vittoria Mezcal III G2.0 TNT Tires. As I do a fair mix of paved trail/asphalt riding and our bike trails here are not super insane I think they will be a nice mix up for when I am just commuting but still allow me to ride the real trails and do some off roading.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I've just ordered a set of 29x2.25 Vittoria Mezcal III G2.0 TNT Tires. As I do a fair mix of paved trail/asphalt riding and our bike trails here are not super insane I think they will be a nice mix up for when I am just commuting but still allow me to ride the real trails and do some off roading.
I am running Conti RaceKings for the same idea, there are some nice trails around here but it's 6 miles of pavement to get there. They work great in dry weather but not so good when it gets wet.

celbii

Dec 20, 2020
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I am running Conti RaceKings for the same idea, there are some nice trails around here but it's 6 miles of pavement to get there. They work great in dry weather but not so good when it gets wet.
I looked at the race kings as well! I almost am a bit iffy I went with the Mezcals over them, but it seems like the Mezcals will have overall more grip than the racekings, I could be wrong though. As far as wet goes, I am not a fan of ride in wet weather or mud so its somewhat of a non-issue for me. I honestly was looking at faster tires than the Mezcals but I didn't want to give up too much grip at the end of the day and they seemed like a decent balance.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
I don't like cleaning my bike, so I usually ride 'gravel' through the winter. So I actually prefer a slicker tyre in winter months. Currently, that means my worn down (2000 mile) stock tyres (Butcher/Elim?). But I even occasionally run Conti Speedkings for loooong dry gravel rides, but you really don't want to get those anywhere near mud.

When things get less sloppy, I'll be running Maxxis Forekasters this year.

Last edited:

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
I think I am getting a little confused and maybe its different from country to country. Here in Canada, my wife's 2020 SL came with Code R brakes and it looks like the 2021 SLs are spec'd with the same brakes according to the LBS where we bought it from. According to Specialized, the 2021s will come with Guide RE brakes. Do the RE caliper look the same as the Code R calipers (which are the same calipers that the CODE RSC brakes come with)? I am not sure what OPTIMIZED could mean but the RE brakes cost $20 less than the Guide R brakes. Things that cost less usually mean some compromises were made.

The Guide RE brakes are made up of the Guide R lever and the OLD Code caliper, which is the reason they're cheaper but also more powerful than the standard Guide calipers. These were given the Guide RE label, to market them at eMTBs, even though DH racers had been putting this mash-up together for years. Do not confuse these brakes as having anything in common with the current Code brakes.

The new Codes come in either R or RSC models. The calipers and levers are identical, except that the RSC levers have a pad adjust, as well as a lever reach adjust, and the levers pivot on cartridge bearings, not a simple bush. The pistons in the RSC calipers are made from a phenolic resin, giving them better heat handling properties.

Last edited:

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Thought I'd chuck this in here, my 2020 SL (pre and post ride). Upgrades as follows:

Mullet NS Rock Roll wheelset, including oilslick hubs and spokes, with 2.5 Maxxis Shorty Exo Maxx Terra front (with Vittoria Air Liner insert) and WTB Judge 2.4 Tough Fast rear. Summer tyres are Assegai front and rear.

Praxis 160mm carbon cranks with Sam Hill Enduro oilslick pedals.

GX Eagle cassette, XO1 rainbow chain, GX single click shifter.

Code R brakes with 200mm rotors, front and rear, rainbow titanium bolts.

Cane Creek DBairIL shock.

2021 Lyrik Ultimate 160mm fork.

AXS Reverb 150mm, with SDG Bel Air 3.0 oilslick.

NS oilslick 40mm stem, Renthal carbon fatbar, Ergon GE1 factory oilslick grips, AVS handguards.

Bloody love this bike, had it 9 months now and close to 2,000kms. By far the best handling eMTB I've owned (I've had 7)!

20201231_115701.jpg

20201231_085219.jpg

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
Thought I'd chuck this in here, my 2020 SL (pre and post ride). Upgrades as follows:

Mullet NS Rock Roll wheelset, including oilslick hubs and spokes, with 2.5 Maxxis Shorty Exo Maxx Terra front (with Vittoria Air Liner insert) and WTB Judge 2.4 Tough Fast rear. Summer tyres are Assegai front and rear.

NS oilslick 40mm stem, Renthal carbon fatbar, Ergon GE1 factory oilslick grips, AVS handguards.

Bloody love this bike, had it 9 months now and close to 2,000kms. By far the best handling eMTB I've owned (I've had 7)!

View attachment 51421

View attachment 51422
What’s the frame bag you have mate?

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
What’s the frame bag you have mate?

It's from Evoc, I forget the name of it but you should find it easily enough. They do two sizes, this one being the small and fitted in a medium frame. I don't think it would fit a small frame. Carries loads too; tyre levers, spare full size tube, spare cable, chain tool, quick link, tyre boot, spare mech hanger, zip ties, gaffer tape, a mini Gerber tool, and probably a couple of bits I've forgotten too!

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver

View attachment 51421

View attachment 51422

I know you guys from the UK put your brake levers on the opposite side of the bars but correct me if I am wrong but I have never seen a Maxxis tire with label (tire type and size etc) not put on the same side as the drive side of the bike for correct tire rotation. Or maybe its a preference?

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
I know you guys from the UK put your brake levers on the opposite side of the bars but correct me if I am wrong but I have never seen a Maxxis tire with label (tire type and size etc) not put on the same side as the drive side of the bike for correct tire rotation. Or maybe its a preference?

Haha, good spot! I'd fitted this tyre up incorrectly and didn't spot it myself until after I took these photos (last year). Being a Shorty, the tread pattern is identical either way, but the tyre is now fitted up correctly. That said, there are a few folk I know who swear that the High Roller II is supposed to be fitted backwards when run on the rear. Makes no sense to me because the tread is specifically designed to be unidirectional, offering low rolling resistance and good braking. Switching it round increases rolling resistance and reduces braking effect!?!

celbii

Dec 20, 2020
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
It's from Evoc, I forget the name of it but you should find it easily enough. They do two sizes, this one being the small and fitted in a medium frame. I don't think it would fit a small frame. Carries loads too; tyre levers, spare full size tube, spare cable, chain tool, quick link, tyre boot, spare mech hanger, zip ties, gaffer tape, a mini Gerber tool, and probably a couple of bits I've forgotten too!

LOL I was looking and thought, it can't be this bag, it looks a bit too big... BIKE TRAVEL BAG PRO | Black | 310 l | 100406100 Then scrolled through a few more pictures and saw a whole bicycle in the bag :)

Looks like it is this bag for anyone curious, Multi Frame Pack - Evoc Sports USA . Might pick one up myself, appears to fit quite nicely there.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I was riding up a somewhat tight switch back today and my knee pad caught something on my handlebars. It was not enough for me to really notice but I did hear a little "pop", so I kept riding up the trail. When I got to the top of the trail and reached for my dropper post lever, it was no where to be found. Is it just me or is anyone else just a little p!ssed off with Specialized kitting out their $10K Ebikes with sh!tty plastic parts only to find out their replacements cost $80 and you have to buy the entire assembly, lever not sold separately? WTF. Rant over.

lever.jpg

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
s it just me or is anyone else just a little p!ssed off with Specialized kitting out their $10K Ebikes with sh!tty plastic parts only to find out their replacements cost $80 and you have to buy the entire assembly, lever not sold separately?
Probably - it's not like we're reading about this happening, day after day.

Mooncat

Aug 10, 2020
UK
I was riding up a somewhat tight switch back today and my knee pad caught something on my handlebars. It was not enough for me to really notice but I did hear a little "pop", so I kept riding up the trail. When I got to the top of the trail and reached for my dropper post lever, it was no where to be found. Is it just me or is anyone else just a little p!ssed off with Specialized kitting out their $10K Ebikes with sh!tty plastic parts only to find out their replacements cost $80 and you have to buy the entire assembly, lever not sold separately? WTF. Rant over.

. View attachment 51639
If you'd bought the direct replacement (LE version) it would have been nearer to 50CND. At least you now have the more robust alloy version so it shouldn't break as easily if you bend it in a direction it wasn't designed for.

j1e

Jan 24, 2021
Michigan, USA
Pretty much any dropper remote should work - right? I have had good luck with both Wolf Tooth and Ztto (good quality, yet inexpensive) on other bikes.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
If you'd bought the direct replacement (LE version) it would have been nearer to 50CND. At least you now have the more robust alloy version so it shouldn't break as easily if you bend it in a direction it wasn't designed for.

Well apparently here in the Colonies, our LBS don't bother to stock sub standard parts that break so easily. I have never understood why Specialized would put something "light and durable" on a mountain bike that has a tendency to crash in a direction it wasn't designed for.
If I needed to put my 38+ lb bike on a diet with I would look else where (maybe personally?) than a lever that weighs a couple of oz, that can leave you riding down a mountain with the seat stuck up. Just wondering what other weak parts will break and when?

spec.jpg

Last edited:

Mooncat

Aug 10, 2020
UK
You could have pulled on the outer cable or used the SWAT tool to drop your seat post as a 'get me home' measure....or just remembered how you used to ride before droppers were even invented. I'm not even going to bother explaining why bits break off if you crash or manage to smash them with body armour!

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
You could have pulled on the outer cable or used the SWAT tool to drop your seat post as a 'get me home' measure....or just remembered how you used to ride before droppers were even invented. I'm not even going to bother explaining why bits break off if you crash or manage to smash them with body armour!

Pulling on the outer cable will release the dropper post? I have never tried that! Even if I had dropped the seat post down to the minimum, it would still be way to high up to ride the types of trails we ride around here. I know we all ride different types of trails and wear varying amounts of gear but if a dropper lever can't take being bumped by a knee pad while going around a corner, it doesn't say much about the product.
dropper.jpg

This may be Geoff Gulevich riding the bike but the trail speaks for itself. Fun times in BC.

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
I just picked up my EXT Storia Lok V3 shock for my Levo SL. This is an EMTB-specific version, built to spec for me and my bike (nice service from EXT!). It replaces a DHX2 coil. Why the EXT? My LBS (Ace Bicycles who are indeed ace!) have a cabinet-full and swear by them, the reviews look really good, and it comes with a really interesting ramp-up chamber to make it more progressive and suited to the rather linear SL geometry (and I have a Cascade link as well).

What is the EMTB-specific version? The standard 14mm hollow shaft has a solid metal insert for greater rigidity and strength. Additionally the top and bottom collars are thicker and more robust. The DHX2 has a 9mm shaft.

EXT’s website shows springs up to 600lb, but they do go higher and I got a 700lb spring to give me the right sag for the weight of me and my bike (I’m 94kg before adding water & rucksack). They don’t do a 650lb though.

Build quality is pretty stonkingly amazing. It really is beautiful. It comes with mounting hardware ready to fit straight into the SL. Due to the horrible weather I haven’t been out properly yet, but a quick bounce up & down the road shows they’ve got the initial setup fairly sweet. I do need to get on the trails to try it out properly.

My LBS told be when I picked it up that it makes a clicking noise as it cycles up and down as the internal ball valve opens and shuts. Which indeed it does. Slightly weird but it is what it is. I’m dying to get out there - I might just head off in the pouring rain and sleet tomorrow morning and try it out.

D344BD33-2519-4C04-B066-2975C753B5D8.jpeg

06413066-9371-491A-ADE7-55582BF92372.jpeg

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
Toners, good move. Probably adds about 300g I would think? Let us know how it feels compared to the standard shock.

Are you in FOD or Surrey Hills?

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
Tobers, good move. Probably adds about 300g I would think? Let us know how it feels compared to the standard shock.

Well, I just got back from my first ride with the EXT. Its bloody lovely. I sessioned up and down Water Lane near Newlands Corner (Surrey Hills) which is quite a nice test with plenty of rocky ruts, loose stones etc. The setup out of the box was very good, but I opened up the high speed compression a couple of clicks and closed down the low speed a bit. No jumps yet.

It is very smooth. Compared to the DHX2 I had, it feels more supple and plush (though that could just be the adjustments). There is a weird clicking noise as a ball valve opens and closes which would be disconcerting if the LBS hadn’t told me about it. The 700lb spring feels just right for me, with about 28% sag (I am 94kg). More testing to come, but all good so far.

Also, it’s beautifully made, really really robust, shiny and lovely. Yummmmm.

Mooncat

Aug 10, 2020
UK
Pulling on the outer cable will release the dropper post? I have never tried that! Even if I had dropped the seat post down to the minimum, it would still be way to high up to ride the types of trails we ride around here. I know we all ride different types of trails and wear varying amounts of gear but if a dropper lever can't take being bumped by a knee pad while going around a corner, it doesn't say much about the product.
View attachment 51790

This may be Geoff Gulevich riding the bike but the trail speaks for itself. Fun times in BC.

Pulling the outer cable out of the adjuster barrel will allow you to drop the seat......pull it straight and don't just yank on the outer cable or your weak, poorly designed frame and handlebars will expode into a thousand pieces!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles