Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

Housenotes

Aug 20, 2020
Missouri
Just went for a ride on the Lyrik. Pretty darn impressive of a fork. I think I might just hold onto this and cancel the Mezzer based on the very extensive thread filled with reliability issues on mtbr about the Mezzer. Ive got some time to decide. I could use the Mezzer on my Enduro if it really is great. This modern Lyrik is leaps and bounds above the one on my other bike.
That’s what I thought after my first rise with the lyric as well. Well worth the upgrade. Enjoy your lyric and good luck with the Mezzer. ??

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
Couple'a'Turbos

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

Housenotes

Aug 20, 2020
Missouri
Nice! I love how the cars color puts a little blue tint to the pic of yMy daughter lived in Austin for years. We use to hike that area and I always wanted to ride it!
Couple'a'Turbos
Nice! I love how the cars color puts a little blue tint to the pic of your bike. My daughter lived in Austin for years. We use to hike that area and I always wanted to ride it!

View attachment 40172

View attachment 40173

EVILTaylor

Sep 8, 2020
Spokane Washington
Joined the club today. Dealer had a comp Carbon, that they were going to use for a rental fleet, but then changed their mind. Never rented once, just a few quick demos. $6,000 US. Not too bad right? Interesting enough it has the Guide RE brakes.

08BD134B-CDE0-43A8-B16A-E5EFA1BAB9F5.jpeg

F0EBFAB9-4CD1-464C-A47E-B2610A3F74A2.jpeg

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
Joined the club today. Dealer had a comp Carbon, that they were going to use for a rental fleet, but then changed their mind. Never rented once, just a few quick demos. $6,000 US. Not too bad right? Interesting enough it has the Guide RE brakes.

View attachment 40183

View attachment 40184
Thats a steal. I was hoping for a discount on my bike as I have purchased far too many bikes from my shop over the last 3 years, but I was just happy to find one in stock when I bought mine. They havent had them in stock since, so I am not too upset I paid retail. I hear of a lot of people getting discounts recently, but my shop seems to have some serious demand these days, so I was comfortable with full price.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Just went for a ride on the Lyrik. Pretty darn impressive of a fork. I think I might just hold onto this and cancel the Mezzer based on the very extensive thread filled with reliability issues on mtbr about the Mezzer. Ive got some time to decide. I could use the Mezzer on my Enduro if it really is great. This modern Lyrik is leaps and bounds above the one on my other bike.
Fwiw the issues that popped up have been resolved on the Mezzer. It’s a very reliable fork but does take some more time to setup.

For me - it’s much better than the lyrik that I had. The lyrik with a Runt (second positive air chamber similar to the irt on the mezzer ) and push hc97 came pretty close in performance but was noticeably less stiff

Norcalsl

Jul 12, 2020
Northern California

View attachment 40183

View attachment 40184
Great price. The money you saved will get you started on upgrades. I've already replaced the majority of components on my 2021 Comp Carbon.

Modcitizen

Sep 12, 2020
PNW, Usa
@avocadough - FWIW, I read somewhere that you can remove the remote from the bars without ill-effects. I think you can remove the TCU from the top tube with a T10 Torx and unplug/remove the remote cable.
However, I just took my first trail ride on my new Levo SL and found it to be REALLY handy. My ride started with a 10 mile singletrack climb (done mostly in Eco mode) and while not super technical, I did find myself flicking it into Trail mode to get me through some really steep switchbacks. Definitely glad that that I didn’t need to reach down to the top tube for the little boost. The remote takes up almost no real estate on the bars and doesn’t interfere with dropper operation, so I’ll be leaving mine on the bars! It’s also useful for turning the motor completely off should you want/need to. I was on a an eMTB-legal trail but still shut off the motor when passing hikers so as not to draw attention to it being an eMTB. In any case, it seems worthwhile to leave it on for a few rides and see how and if you use it. Happy trails!

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
@avocadough - FWIW, I read somewhere that you can remove the remote from the bars without ill-effects. I think you can remove the TCU from the top tube with a T10 Torx and unplug/remove the remote cable.
However, I just took my first trail ride on my new Levo SL and found it to be REALLY handy. My ride started with a 10 mile singletrack climb (done mostly in Eco mode) and while not super technical, I did find myself flicking it into Trail mode to get me through some really steep switchbacks. Definitely glad that that I didn’t need to reach down to the top tube for the little boost. The remote takes up almost no real estate on the bars and doesn’t interfere with dropper operation, so I’ll be leaving mine on the bars! It’s also useful for turning the motor completely off should you want/need to. I was on a an eMTB-legal trail but still shut off the motor when passing hikers so as not to draw attention to it being an eMTB. In any case, it seems worthwhile to leave it on for a few rides and see how and if you use it. Happy trails!
I am keeping mine on. Takes little space, hardly any weight and it has the walk assist which I have used. No reason to remove.

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
Nice! I love how the cars color puts a little blue tint to the pic of yMy daughter lived in Austin for years. We use to hike that area and I always wanted to ride it!
I think that might be the sky reflecting off the bike honestly. Its been wetter than usual around here, so I have been riding the trails that can handle water. Bike has been getting covered in sandy dirt all the time, and I managed to micro scratch it pretty good washing it all the time. Today I polished all those swirls out before I took this photo. Now that I got that pic, maybe I'll polish the other side that wasnt in the pic :ROFLMAO:.

The trails around that park are phenomenal.
Fwiw the issues that popped up have been resolved on the Mezzer. It’s a very reliable fork but does take some more time to setup.

For me - it’s much better than the lyrik that I had. The lyrik with a Runt (second positive air chamber similar to the irt on the mezzer ) and push hc97 came pretty close in performance but was noticeably less stiff

Yeah I’m very interested in it. I think I’m gonna let it get delivered and if I like it either put it on this bike or my Enduro that I keep for park trips. What year Lyrik were you on? I have a 2018 Yari with the 2020 2.1 charger in it, still on the stock 2018 non debonair spring, and this 2021 Lyrik is nothing like that fork.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Yeah I’m very interested in it. I think I’m gonna let it get delivered and if I like it either put it on this bike or my Enduro that I keep for park trips. What year Lyrik were you on? I have a 2018 Yari with the 2020 2.1 charger in it, still on the stock 2018 non debonair spring, and this 2021 Lyrik is nothing like that fork.

I had a 2019 Lyrik RCT3 with the Charger 2.0 and Debonair. I added the Runt to help with the mid-stroke as I felt that it was always dynamically in the middle of the stroke when riding. I added the HC97 because after the Runt, I felt as if the damping, especially high speed was "harsh" and "spikey". Both mods made improvements.

The Mezzer, out of the box for me, just feels better in almost all conditions. Only place I give my modded Lyrik the nod is in initial breakway/small bump suppleness. I think that's because of the negative chamber "suck-down" effect. Really on a ride, this is only felt on low speed bumps. This was a 180mm fork as well. Mezzer is pretty darn close even in that scenario, but it feels like slightly more damping and/or stiction. Mezzer rocks at high speed or even just most trail speeds.

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
I had a 2019 Lyrik RCT3 with the Charger 2.0 and Debonair. I added the Runt to help with the mid-stroke as I felt that it was always dynamically in the middle of the stroke when riding. I added the HC97 because after the Runt, I felt as if the damping, especially high speed was "harsh" and "spikey". Both mods made improvements.

The Mezzer, out of the box for me, just feels better in almost all conditions. Only place I give my modded Lyrik the nod is in initial breakway/small bump suppleness. I think that's because of the negative chamber "suck-down" effect. Really on a ride, this is only felt on low speed bumps. This was a 180mm fork as well. Mezzer is pretty darn close even in that scenario, but it feels like slightly more damping and/or stiction. Mezzer rocks at high speed or even just most trail speeds.

Sounds like you are describing the other Lyrik I have. Honesty this 2021 fork is worlds better. Rides really high in the travel, unbelievably supple, no spiking at high speeds. I just went out for a second time today. Realized my headset spacers were bottom out on the steerer the first ride and took it easy. With the proper headset preload on the second ride I just top 10’d a DH segment I’ve been looking for a top 10 on for about 7 years.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Sounds like you are describing the other Lyrik I have. Honesty this 2021 fork is worlds better. Rides really high in the travel, unbelievably supple, no spiking at high speeds. I just went out for a second time today. Realized my headset spacers were bottom out on the steerer the first ride and took it easy. With the proper headset preload on the second ride I just top 10’d a DH segment I’ve been looking for a top 10 on for about 7 years.

they changed the air spring in 2021 to ride higher in the travel. I would like to try one some time

ChMtz07

Aug 21, 2020
Mx
New Owner.

Just got an SL.

Rode it yesterday for the first time, amazing bike!!!

The only thing i didn´t really liked are the SRAM GUIDE Re brakes.

Don´t think they have enough stopping power, especially the front one.

Any advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
New Owner.

Just got an SL.

Change out for XT 4 piston and live happily ever after.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
they changed the air spring in 2021 to ride higher in the travel. I would like to try one some time
I serviced my 2020 Lyric Ultimate, and fitted the 2021 damper at the same time. Not sure if it was just fresh lube / seals, or the new damper - but it's sooo much better to ride than it was previously. It definitely sits up and doesn't sag under it's own weight.
I think it was about £40 for the whole thing... which is definitely a worthwhile upgrade!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
New Owner.

Just got an SL.

I think 90% of people out there are finding the stock brakes are inadequate. They're fine for light trail riding, but if you start needing to use them for long periods or steep sections, they fade out and don't have enough power.

I swapped mine over for some Magura MT7's. A proper PITA to bleed and get set up right... but once dialled in correctly, they're phenomenal.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
I think 90% of people out there are finding the stock brakes are inadequate.
The stock brakes on the SL that people are unhappy about are the Guide Rs - newer bikes are coming with REs, and they're a completely different proposition.

I've got REs myself, and - once I'd bedded them in properly, as per the official instructions - I find them to be every bit as strong and reliable as the Maguras and Shimano XTs on my other bikes. They feel different, but that's not the same as worse. and I actually prefer them to the XTs.

Norcalsl

Jul 12, 2020
Northern California
New Owner.

Just got an SL.

My 2021 SL came stock with the Guide RE. I found them to have plenty of stopping power. However, they lacked the modulation I like. So I am replacing them with Hope tech 3 e4 brakes.

ChMtz07

Aug 21, 2020
Mx
The stock brakes on the SL that people are unhappy about are the Guide Rs - newer bikes are coming with REs, and they're a completely different proposition.

I've got REs myself, and - once I'd bedded them in properly, as per the official instructions - I find them to be every bit as strong and reliable as the Maguras and Shimano XTs on my other bikes. They feel different, but that's not the same as worse. and I actually prefer them to the XTs.

Thanks for all your comments.

I am a Newbie at MTB.

I did actually suspect that maybe the Guide Re´s weren´t working as expected in my first ride because they were brand new and somehow they have to adapt or shape, or they were not properly adjusted.

Can this be true?

Do you think maybe i have to "bedded them in properly, as per the official instructions" or double check any adjustments before my next ride?

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Try doing a bunch of hard stops from speed to a full Stand still, up to 20 times . if nothing improves after the fist few rides tyou could try different pads. People are saying that TrickStuff pads are good. Otherwise get a whole new brake system.

avocadough

Sep 11, 2020
AZ / CA
Does anyone happen to know what the maximum seatpost insertion is on a large Levo SL? Trying to figure how long of a OneUp seatpost I can squeeze in there. I know a 180mm would for sure fit, but wondering if I could get away with a 210mm.

Thanks for the help!

Sidenote- Levo SL ships out today, stoked to get this thing built up soon!

modsheep

Sep 14, 2020
Los Angeles
Hey Guys, had been reading this forum for months and had just jointed. Really thx for all your inputs and experience to make my decision easier....... Here is my 2 weeks old Levo SL to share with you. Financially, it's not easy for me as a Husband and a Father of 2. The only way, I got my hall pass was to pretty much sell my collections of toys! (Camera, Drones, old Bikes, etc..... ). But in the end, I got what I wanted and did not regret a sec of it.

Here's my upgrade.

Brakes: Hope E4 203 mm rotors: Sram break was just a little under power from what I needed to feel safe
Fork: Fox 36 41mm offset: I think the 34 51mm offset is okay! But the extra really make this bike comes alive.
Rear Shock: Fox Flot DPX2: Have no problem with the stock DPS.
Grips: Portland design..... Bad decision, it's not for this bike. Will switch back to stock and look for a better alternative.
Saddle: Fi'zi:k Antares Versus Evo Adaptive R3. IMO this is the most comfortable saddle I tried.

Future upgrade: ........ Might have to sell my wife's handbags!!!! for liquidity.
IMG_3477.jpg

IMG_6689.JPG

Last edited:

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
I Liked your post, @modsheep , but not the air “quality” there in L.A.!

I assume you held your breath for the duration of the ride ?

Let’s hope the fires stop and the usual onshore breezes return and clear the smoke.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
^^ THAT is nothing to sneeze at!

In the background - is that your young kids' climbing wall, or are they practicing their alphanumerics?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles