Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

SL-ED

Jun 14, 2020
Bay Area
The trails are much chunkier here compared to the Bay Area. I lived in Santa Cruz for ten years and it is much smoother up there. If you’ve been to SLO or Santa Barbara, that is closer to here in San Diego County.

My bad I was actually asking the other guy with the 35lb bike. I'll probably die riding with those tires riding trails at UCSC or Demo

Like apac said.. You got man tires on your bike lol

Last edited:

Junior

Aug 8, 2020
Austin
Hi gang, I have a 2021 Turbo Levo SL Comp - Alu-minnie-um with SRAM Eagle SX. (in hi-vis orange mislabelled rocket red)

I am converting to SHimano XT for the full hyperglide+ experience.

I have read through this thread and just want to confirm my understanding. All the SRAM can be swapped with SHimano XT,, with two exceptions:

REAR HUB
Mine is a Specialized OEM hub (maybe from Formula). Consensus is that the freehub body cannot be replace with a microspline, so I will have to by a new hub and have it re-laced or get a new wheel. Sounds right?

FRONT CHAINRING
No shimano chainring for the 94BCD available as wolf does not make a conversion, and Praxis does not make a spider for Shimano. I can still use the SRAM, but I must use a SRAM chain link connector on my XT chain (width issue, length issue?!?!) It this really the case? Can I just take the lathe to it?

thanks for the help

im running XT/XTR drivetrain. Xt chain on the stock chain ring works fine for me, quick link and all.

Hugh-Jazz

Jan 15, 2020
San Marcos, CA
im running XT/XTR drivetrain. Xt chain on the stock chain ring works fine for me, quick link and all.
Same here, no issue with the chain ring and a 12speed Shimano chain. I have had issues in the past with wide/narrow non-Shimano and the Shimano 12sp chain. Got lucky this time I guess.

dasurpha

May 9, 2020
Helsinki
Has anyone installed a headlight using the main battery with the light splitter cable? There is very little information about compatible lights and the splitter cable does not seem to be available online.

shakeystart

Jun 23, 2020
1617daY
I have that exact bike with an XT setup. You need a microspline hub, I used a Nukeproof Nuetron V2. Cost about the same as getting the roval relaced for me.

I used a Garbaruk 94bcd which when ordered off their site can be speced for Shimano 12 speed.

It shifts like a dream and is a massive upgrade over the NX eagle I had before.

Did you keep it at 30T?

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
hi, got an audible creak coming from my alum sl. I think it's coming from the motor and possibly the mounts. anybody have this issue. is it an easy task to drop motor to get grease on the frame contact points? thanks

Hugh-Jazz

Jan 15, 2020
San Marcos, CA
Fairly easy, three different size torx wrenches needed. The hardest fastener to loosen is the rear drive side one. The spiral retaining ring is a bit fiddly but is flexible and isn’t too hard to get out. Rob’s video is pretty good and was very helpful. Some better lighting would have been nice.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
hi, got an audible creak coming from my alum sl. I think it's coming from the motor and possibly the mounts. anybody have this issue. is it an easy task to drop motor to get grease on the frame contact points? thanks
This might help...

gbardot

Oct 5, 2020
California
Anyone have a motor get replaced yet on a 2021 Turbo Levo SL? Mine is already getting replaced this week and I bought it on September 8th. Less than a month of riding. It made a weird electronic noise up near the control panel (Vibration and motor noise that came up) when the bike wasn't even moving. It started really early on with the bike as you can see its a brand new 2021 Levo SL Expert.

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
Anyone have a motor get replaced yet on a 2021 Turbo Levo SL? Mine is already getting replaced this week and I bought it on September 8th. Less than a month of riding. It made a weird electronic noise up near the control panel (Vibration and motor noise that came up) when the bike wasn't even moving. It started really early on with the bike as you can see its a brand new 2021 Levo SL Expert.
I don't hear about any motor issues with the sl model. but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

think your issue is the exception and not the norm. thankfully.

please report back on exactly what was the problem and how the fix went

pubski

Jul 20, 2020
Australia
I’m on an XL, and am running a 210 x 55 RS Super Deluxe Ultimate with no issues.
Found out the hard way that the 2021 X2 won't fit in my Large alloy SL comp. Don't want to make the same mistake again by ordering the 2021 RS Super Deluxe Ultimate.. can anyone confirm if they were able to fit the SD Ultimate into an alloy SL Comp frame? For the terrain we have here, a lot of guys swear by the SD Ultimate so would prefer it over the DPX2. The local shop says the SD fits on the Carbon frame but they weren't able to confirm if it fits the alloy frame. X2 fits the carbon but not the alloy frame. To order the Super Deluxe Ultimate via the shop, I'll need some proof it fits on the alloy version of the Levo SL, so a picture would be great. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
Found out the hard way that the 2021 X2 won't fit on my Large alloy SL comp. Don't want to make the same mistake again by ordering the 2021 RS Super Deluxe Ultimate.. can anyone confirm if they were able to fit the SD Ultimate into an alloy SL Comp frame? For the terrain we have here, a lot of guys swear by the SD Ultimate so would prefer it over the DPX2. The Specialized shop says the SD fits on the Carbon frame. To order via the shop, I'll need some proof it fits so a picture would be great. Thanks in advance!
I have an x2 on my alum and it fits. a bit tight but no touching. u need to deflate the shock and compress it to make it fit

Waldolo

May 15, 2020
Vancouver
I watched that video and in the comments, someone commented that it's easier to remove all 6 bolts and take the whole drivetrain (motor and crank) out and not bother removing the cranks. I tried it and agree...way easier than to remove 4 bolts, remove crank, and swivel to remove battery. That way you don't mess with the crank either.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I watched that video and in the comments, someone commented that it's easier to remove all 6 bolts and take the whole drivetrain (motor and crank) out and not bother removing the cranks. I tried it and agree...way easier than to remove 4 bolts, remove crank, and swivel to remove battery. That way you don't mess with the crank either.
Make a video to show us. I'd like to see that.

pubski

Jul 20, 2020
Australia
I have an x2 on my alum and it fits. a bit tight but no touching. u need to deflate the shock and compress it to make it fit
WOW! The shop tried several times fitting the X2 with no luck. Will chase them up again. Would you please let me know the frame size and model years for the X2 shock and alloy frame (2020)? How about with an extender?

Has anyone else had any luck with the X2 or SD Ultimate upgrade on the alloy SL? (alloy has less clearance around the shock than the carbon frame)

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
WOW! The shop tried several times fitting the X2 with no luck. Will chase them up again. Would you please let me know the frame size and model years for the X2 shock and alloy frame (2020)? How about with an extender?

Has anyone else had any luck with the X2 or SD Ultimate upgrade on the alloy SL? (alloy has less clearance around the shock than the carbon frame)
I have a large size frame. I originally thought it wouldn't fit on mine then saw someone post that u needed to compres the shock 1st to mount it somewhere on this thread.. probably 2 to 3mm clearance between shock and frame. tight but never had any contact. rode it for 2 months but have moved on to a Marzocchi bomber coil

Screenshot_20201006-055507_Photos.jpg

pubski

Jul 20, 2020
Australia
I have a large size frame. I originally thought it wouldn't fit on mine then saw someone post that u needed to compres the shock 1st to mount it somewhere on this thread.. probably 2 to 3mm clearance between shock and frame. tight but never had any contact. rode it for 2 months but have moved on to a Marzocchi bomber coil

View attachment 41551
Great, thanks for that. Will have a chat with the LBS. Looks like you're running with LB rims. Loving mine (LB EN932).

Hugh-Jazz

Jan 15, 2020
San Marcos, CA
I am sure it is the seal and it is squeaking against the inner bearing race of the right side crank bearing. You won’t get oil past the seal very easily, but if you can get the chain wheel off you can get a small pick or pin in the lip of the seal and spray a little silicone spray in there. Be very carful, the seal is thin and can be damaged.

I have this squeak. I removed the cranks / spider and spun the motor by hand, in the stand. Definitely a squeaky seal or something in the motor itself. Is there anyway to lube or fix this issue myself? It only does it pedaling with the motor off, but I like to turn the motor off when overtaking bikers and hikers and now its squeak, squeak, like I have a bad bottom bracket. The bike is not even a month old.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles