Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

Kpmnd85

Feb 13, 2020
Austin, TX
Love my Levo SL, but... It has created some unexpected new issues. With the Levo SL I am finding I can complete more of the technical hills that would have had me dismounting. Now, I'm staying on the bike longer and I've not got to address some issues comfort issues with shoes and pedals :). Gladly will take the much more fun being achieved with the SL.

Bencab

Feb 13, 2020
California
Feeling under the weather but with ebike I was able to sneak in 2 rides this weekend.

EFA1E03E-6CAB-4A1D-970A-EADBBC2FAC2F.jpeg

FD3CE500-315F-48C7-B1AB-DBC4A04C4784.jpeg

A1D2024C-981F-4F7D-97E2-A31346FFFF7F.jpeg

D8AB2F9D-249D-41E2-9C6B-26E0C7BD462A.jpeg

4546D22D-9984-4281-B010-4FA23AF7606C.jpeg

FA61351D-B47C-47A8-B07A-40C063AE0044.jpeg

A5830F74-48B2-4150-B7A5-C99B8972DD3D.jpeg

9B6B7CD0-B3CF-4E10-AC68-85161C46FF32.jpeg

73BE65BC-75A9-4364-856D-EF1B9C671CB7.jpeg

D820D393-DBB1-41B3-999A-E53EDE8EAED5.jpeg

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
I am finding I can complete more of the technical hills .
With my regular levo it has 32/42 gearing so for steep stuff i use 75% assist to get up. With 30/50 on the sl would 100% assist be about the same? I'm trying to rationalize because, you know, i need another bike

Kpmnd85

Feb 13, 2020
Austin, TX
With my regular levo it has 32/42 gearing so for steep stuff i use 75% assist to get up. With 30/50 on the sl would 100% assist be about the same? I'm trying to rationalize because, you know, i need another bike

I typically ride in trail mode somewhere between 30-40% support/100%. When I get to a particularly steep, longer hill I'll put it in Turbo at 75% support/100 and the gearing is the 30/50 as you mentioned. At that point the issue usually becomes traction, not a matter of watts being generated by the bike and me.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I typically ride in trail mode somewhere between 30-40% support/100%. When I get to a particularly steep, longer hill I'll put it in Turbo at 75% support/100 and the gearing is the 30/50 as you mentioned. At that point the issue usually becomes traction, not a matter of watts being generated by the bike and me.

I went for a ride yesterday, in Eco set at 40/70. My Trail was set at 60/70 and Turbo was 100/100.
I did 95% of my ride in Eco, and whacked it up to Trail and then Turbo for a really tough technical climb. I found either traction or potential pedal strikes (being unable to pedal because of rocks) were what made me have to get off and push!
Maybe having a 400% motor would have given me more speed from the easier sections to carry these rocky bits without pedalling?!

Hoppy

Nov 1, 2018
Washington
Nope, as 90% of emtbers have proven, it's momentum, not power which gets you through things. You need to lard up ! ;):p:ROFLMAO:
I agree with p3eps have levo and Levo SL and you can come at stuff way quicker. So you kinda coast through stuff that you have to pedal through on the SL lower gear lower speed. You are somewhat correct on momentum is key but it’s the extra torque that keeps the momentum to blast through on the Levo FF

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Nope, as 90% of emtbers have proven, it's momentum, not power which gets you through things. You need to lard up ! ;):p:ROFLMAO:

Momentum is easier with more power! When I had my Rail for 2 weeks, I flew up those climbs head on. On the SL I need to pick the right line to not catch my pedals - and it’s so steep I can’t stop pedalling!

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
With all the issues the FF Levo as had with water ingress as it put any of you off washing your SL with a hose pipe. I’ve been using one at low pressures as the mud gets everywhere and can’t see a sensible way of cleaning all nooks and crannies without using one. Obviously I’m carful round cable entries etc. What’s your thoughts.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
With all the issues the FF Levo as had with water ingress as it put any of you off washing your SL with a hose pipe. I’ve been using one at low pressures as the mud gets everywhere and can’t see a sensible way of cleaning all nooks and crannies without using one. Obviously I’m carful round cable entries etc. What’s your thoughts.
Other than the TCU, the rest looks like they've taken a huge leap forwards in terms of bringing things into the same century as every other piece of electronics which might get wet. From what we've seen so far, they're ok. Though it might be that roadies with their creo's only wipe their bikes down with their sweaty chamois ?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Mines been washed with a hose after every ride. No issues so far. Fingers crossed.

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
Other than the TCU, the rest looks like they've taken a huge leap forwards in terms of bringing things into the same century as every other piece of electronics which might get wet. From what we've seen so far, they're ok. Though it might be that roadies with their creo's only wipe their bikes down with their sweaty chamois ?
Yes that was my thinking too (except the sweaty roadie chamois bit ?).

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
I have found a genuine reason to own the SL.

Its not handling, Climbing or other silly stuff like that......

Its......

Putting an ebike on a bike rack!!!!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

Its......

I had to lift mine over three 5ft gates in quick succession. I was so glad I didn’t still have my 5kg heavier Trek Rail!

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB

Its......

I had to lift mine over three 5ft gates in quick succession. I was so glad I didn’t still have my 5kg heavier Trek Rail!
I'm working out how to get the decoy on the roof of an M2.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

I changed to a tow bar mounted carrier - as I only need to lift about 2ft, and it saves the my streaming down your roof / back window when you drive!!

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB

I changed to a tow bar mounted carrier - as I only need to lift about 2ft, and it saves the my streaming down your roof / back window when you drive!!
I had one of those on the 330d.

This thing has 4 exhausts which get in the way so wont work. Its either a roof rack or a seasucker I think. Take out the battery might be easier too

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
A mini report on some upgrades that I have made which may be of interest (XL Carbon Comp):

1) Offset bushing - definitely noticeable in the handling department. Feels more "in the bike" and confident on the steeps. Not too much of a change that would make the bike sluggish. Stock, the bike felt a tad bit twitchy to me, but that was coming from a 2019 Kenevo (mostly). Does not seem to affect the climbing of steeps either. Super easy to swap as well and inexpensive.

2) Cascade Component link - I have been the tester for Cascade on this link as they originally made it for the Stumpjumper (Stumpjumper LT Link 2018-Current) . The SJ link had a bit of fitment issues mostly due to the Levo SL swing arm seem a bit more beefed up. This is being addressed in a V1.1 right now, which should be ready shortly.

In terms of performance, it increase progressivity. For me, that means a bit more supple off the top (higher leverage ratio initially), same midstroke "pop" and minimal shock bob as stock , and better bottom out performance. Big increase in DH performance IMO, even with the stock shock. If I was to get a coil - I am not sure I would do it without this link or a shock that as a HBO.

3) MT7 Brakes - not much needs to be said here. Miles ahead of the Guide R in modulation and power. My front Guide started leaking within 3x rides...

I also added 800mm carbon bars (nukeproof horizon v2) - which is my preference, but helped with the fit/handling as well.

My original goal was to make this bike a bit more aggressive to suit my riding but not lose the trail bike feel. I do believe that this bike deserves a better rear shock (X2 probably) and a 160mm fork. Better wheels at some point as well. Otherwise, it's a pretty stellar bike. I am approaching my PRs set on my Kenevo already and really think this bike can be my do-it-all (other than non-ebike trails).
IMG_1419.jpg
levosl.jpg

Last edited:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
3) MT7 Brakes - not much needs to be said here. Miles ahead of the Guide R in modulation and power. My front Guide started leaking within 3x rides...

I also added 800mm carbon bars (nukeproof horizon v2) - which is my preference, but helped with the fit/handling as well.

Totally agree with the brakes. I've only had 2 outings with the MT7's on so far, but what a difference.

Those bars look soooooo wide in your photo!!!

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Totally agree with the brakes. I've only had 2 outings with the MT7's on so far, but what a difference.

Those bars look soooooo wide in your photo!!!
Probably the wide angle distortion on the iphone. They are 800mm - so not too much difference than stock . Feel-wise - it's great!

Levo Laland

Nov 27, 2019
Surrey UK
A mini report on some upgrades that I have made which may be of interest (XL Carbon Comp):

1) Offset bushing - definitely noticeable in the handling department. Feels more "in the bike" and confident on the steeps. Not too much of a change that would make the bike sluggish. Stock, the bike felt a tad bit twitchy to me, but that was coming from a 2019 Kenevo (mostly). Does not seem to affect the climbing of steeps either. Super easy to swap as well and inexpensive.

2) Cascade Component link - I have been the tester for Cascade on this link as they originally made it for the Stumpjumper (Stumpjumper LT Link 2018-Current) . The SJ link had a bit of fitment issues mostly due to the Levo SL swing arm seem a bit more beefed up. This is being addressed in a V1.1 right now, which should be ready shortly.

In terms of performance, it increase progressivity. For me, that means a bit more supple off the top (higher leverage ratio initially), same midstroke "pop" and minimal shock bob as stock , and better bottom out performance. Big increase in DH performance IMO, even with the stock shock. If I was to get a coil - I am not sure I would do it without this link or a shock that as a HBO.

My original goal was to make this bike a bit more aggressive to suit my riding but not lose the trail bike feel. I do believe that this bike deserves a better rear shock (X2 probably) and a 160mm fork. Better wheels at some point as well. Otherwise, it's a pretty stellar bike. I am approaching my PRs set on my Kenevo already and really think this bike can be my do-it-all (other than non-ebike trails). View attachment 27521 View attachment 27520
Can you please post the details of the offset bushings?

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
@Levo Laland For the bushing - I didn't get a P/N. I specified "2020 Turbo Levo SL" in the Frame/Model year here: Offset Bushing

I believe it's a standard size that they make. Should be 0.5 deg - I don't have a great way to measure that change reliably, but it's noticeable.

@losgatosgtr Nothing to see on the bushing as it's buried in the frame once mounted. It's brass and has an offset hole (mount so the hole is close towards the shock can). I used the stock bushing and spacers with no issue.
I should be getting the one to test in the next few days per Cascade. If all is well, it will be a few weeks before production. It was 22 grams heavier than stock for the weight conscious, but the next round will be a tad bit lighter.

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
Thanks jcmonty....did you just get a single offset bushing or two of them?

What position is your flip chip in? Doesn't the flipchip achieve the same change in geometry as the bushing?

Thanks,

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles