Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

happyTrail

Oct 22, 2023
uk
Just wondering if anyone has tried to mullet the KSL here? would you need any other change other than the changing to the high BB potion and possibly the steeper head angle settings? I remember there is a SPECIALIZED ENDURO MULLET YOKE for the analog Enduro, would that be compatible to KSL to optimize the geometry?

Thanks

johned

Jul 30, 2022
UK
Just wondering if anyone has tried to mullet the KSL here? would you need any other change other than the changing to the high BB potion and possibly the steeper head angle settings? I remember there is a SPECIALIZED ENDURO MULLET YOKE for the analog Enduro, would that be compatible to KSL to optimize the geometry?

Thanks
Yep, fitted a 650b and kept the flip chip on low.
Love it and don't have any more pedal strikes than before.

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW

Thanks
I run mine mullet as well, HS in the steep position (64 deg) and rear end in the high. We have a lot of roots and rocks but in this set up very rarely pedal strike. I also updated the wheel size for the motor (bike shop can do very easy). The tight switch backs are so good this way!

joshtammi

Oct 5, 2023
Australia
I’ve got a mate who’s parting out a Megatower and has offered his 230x65mm factory for a really good price. I’ve already confirmed it fits and such, but is there an issue with fitting a shock from a Megatower that might have a specific tune to the Kenevo SL? Should I send the shock away and have it revalved etc or would that just cost as much as buying a new shock from Fox? All the 230x62.5 / 230x65mm are long sold out anywhere in Australia right now.

happyTrail

Oct 22, 2023
uk
^don't you mean low bb?
I was thinking to make the mullet setup to work, the initial BB with 29 setup needs to be relatively high to account for the lower rear axle with a 27.5 wheel. The final BB with mullet is probably still relatively low though.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
I’ve got a mate who’s parting out a Megatower and has offered his 230x65mm factory for a really good price. I’ve already confirmed it fits and such, but is there an issue with fitting a shock from a Megatower that might have a specific tune to the Kenevo SL? Should I send the shock away and have it revalved etc or would that just cost as much as buying a new shock from Fox? All the 230x62.5 / 230x65mm are long sold out anywhere in Australia right now.
I got my X2 from SC Nomad take-off. Before I bought it, I compared the leverage curves which I didn't find different enough to warrant issue and presumed the tune would be similar.
The Specialized KSL X2 "RX" Tune was harder to decipher as it doesn't come with Code you can just identify on Fox's website but eventually I found out it's mostly just lighter slightly different shimmed slow Rebound stack.Out of interest, I used my starting numbers from Specialized configurator anyway and it rode well, but then tweaked them slightly by like 2-3 clicks, most notably in the Rebound.
The Rebound tune looks to be like it's rather repositioned range, so heavy rider would run out of range faster on RX than on stock after-market tune. In general looks to me like Specialized RX with Fox shocks and Forks is mostly lighter compression tune (similar to Fox "E-Bike" tune) so it feels more pleasant to novice riders.
For what's it worth, I am 90kg and the tune from Nomad seems to works perfectly on my KSL.

Definitely don't have it reshimmed until your 100 hours service, just don't waste money.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Come to think of it, it's often interesting how many people on forums (people I presume are often closer to higher weight, 90+ kg) often struggle with Enduro bikes that come with X2 unless it's some very progressive bike (very few are, like YT, Unno, Pole,etc.. but def not Specialized/Trek/etc..). Blowing through travel, not enough mid-support.
Then you read reviews from 75kg reviewers and they often compliment how it right away feels great, although more on linear, plushy side.
So Specialized RX tune being light compression and lighter rebound, would match that. But that's just quick theory.

joshtammi

Oct 5, 2023
Australia
T
I got my X2 from SC Nomad take-off. Before I bought it, I compared the leverage curves which I didn't find different enough to warrant issue and presumed the tune would be similar.
The Specialized KSL X2 "RX" Tune was harder to decipher as it doesn't come with Code you can just identify on Fox's website but eventually I found out it's mostly just lighter slightly different shimmed slow Rebound stack.Out of interest, I used my starting numbers from Specialized configurator anyway and it rode well, but then tweaked them slightly by like 2-3 clicks, most notably in the Rebound.
The Rebound tune looks to be like it's rather repositioned range, so heavy rider would run out of range faster on RX than on stock after-market tune. In general looks to me like Specialized RX with Fox shocks and Forks is mostly lighter compression tune (similar to Fox "E-Bike" tune) so it feels more pleasant to novice riders.
For what's it worth, I am 90kg and the tune from Nomad seems to works perfectly on my KSL.

Definitely don't have it reshimmed until your 100 hours service, just don't waste money.
Thanks for the info. I threw it in and went for a ride on Specialized settings. Definitely bottomed out but I did have the sag set at 30% plush so I dialed that back to 25% with a bit more pressure and increased HSC. Might need to add another spacer in there in the future.

I think I’ll buy it. It feels LOADS better than the Fox Performance it’s replacing. Can’t understand such a basic shock on the Expert Kenevo (especially at their original RRP). Should have been performance elite like the fork but I think they didn’t make them at the time.

dirt-diggler

Oct 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Seriously considering picking up a kenevo s works frame half price. (I spent to much time pondering and missed the discounted full bikes).

I'm aware there's a new model about to be released, but I have everything to build one up mullet apart from the frame.

My question is, for my first e-bike do we think I'd regret get the 1.2 motor and spending double? I've decided against a full fat e.

Thanks

Beboski

Feb 26, 2020
Italy
Seriously considering picking up a kenevo s works frame half price. (I spent to much time pondering and missed the discounted full bikes).

I'm aware there's a new model about to be released, but I have everything to build one up mullet apart from the frame.

My question is, for my first e-bike do we think I'd regret get the 1.2 motor and spending double? I've decided against a full fat e.

Thanks
It depends on what kind of bike have your mates. If they have full power you could appreciate 1.2 motor, if they ride regular bikes you probably don't really need it.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere

Thanks
You won’t regret it mate, the extra power in Turbo is barely noticeable whereas a few grand definitely is.

Reactions: Dax

Endurafrika

Jul 7, 2022
Cape Town
Yep, Me too.
me too... but my HA is still under 63 deg in this setting... and the slack SA messes with kinematics and weight distribution
The diff geo settings do not address the mullet set up - it's a mere compensation.
A flip chip (or 5-8mm extension link) on the lower shock mount could have addressed this.
Has anyone here tried an offset bushings on the top shock mount? Was planning to order some from tft.

I have been riding both set up for the past 2 years (mostly dh trails) - although Mullet is more fun to ride (steep & jumps), 29' gives you the better balance and more precise suspension performance - which makes the bike a tick (or two) faster. But then... preciseness can at times become a bit boring.
Suspension as 29 also seem to perform much better under braking.

Been running coil (TTXm2) and air back to back on both set ups - very much prefer a (firm) air shock on mullet and a coil on 29'.
... oh yes, my wheel circumference is set at 2002 mm. Easy way to tickle a few more KM/H from the 1.1 :)

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey

Thanks
There are a few variables to think about but in your position I would probably go for it but be a bit undecided like you. Just bear in mind the following.
1. I’ve gone from a 1.1 to 1.2 motor on the Levo SL. New motor is noticeabley more powerful and also a lot quieter. The noise never really bothered me on the 1.1 though and I’ve had to turn my power settings down to be closer to the 1.1 so that I still get a proper workout. I run trail at 35/70 which feels like 30/100 on the old one. I don’t need the extra power though as I don’t live in big mountains. 35nm is enough for most of us. If the noisier motor doesn’t bother you the 1.1 will be powerful enough.

There is an obsession for more power among a lot of reviewers and it is only one variable that can be different for every rider. Size, where you ride and who you ride and what they ride.

2. The new SW Levo SL frameset came in at £5750 which is 1k cheaper that the current KSL version. I would expect the KSL to be similar when launched so you can probably see how much extra it will cost you. Most LBS will give you 10% off the new one too.

3. Only rumours so far re a Gen 2 KSL launch so you may be waiting a while. Maybe tomorrow maybe 4 months.

Sounds like SL is the right choice for you as it is for me. I like to ride and not be a passenger. The 1.1 and 1.2 motor have such a natural feel unlike some with a bit more power. It feels like an analogue going down too!!
I alternate between my SL and analogue Epic Evo. Love both equally.

dirt-diggler

Oct 10, 2023
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies.

Its a right mixture people I ride with, majority don't ride e bikes, those that do have full fat but generally where we ride the climbs aren't the size you'd be waiting at the top for someone for long.

I did go and look at the Levo SL with the new motor yesterday, unfortunately the weather was awful and they wouldn't let me test ride it (seems a common theme from shops I've visited, I don't take it personally).

For me I just don't think I can warrant the double cost.

tabbibus

May 5, 2023
Atlanta, USA
I recently purchased a KSL. Why? The amazing price. It is a fantastic bike, with a good motor for my needs, and the price just could not be beat. I would not spend the money for a KSL with the 1.2 motor if I had the option. Would I like to have the 1.2 and some creature comfort upgrades? Sure! Am I willing to pay double? Heck no

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD

Thanks

My only real complaint about the gen1 KSL is the noise. Power is fine. At half the price I’d probably buy the gen1. Can always buy a sl kids e-bike in future and swap the sl motor in

K123

Oct 17, 2023
Dublin
I recently purchased a KSL. Why? The amazing price. It is a fantastic bike, with a good motor for my needs, and the price just could not be beat. I would not spend the money for a KSL with the 1.2 motor if I had the option. Would I like to have the 1.2 and some creature comfort upgrades? Sure! Am I willing to pay double? Heck no
What in-store discounts are on offer for the current model K-SL, now that the 2024 K-SL launch seems imminent?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles