Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
So the UK side is representive for this rumor?;)
It’s not a rumour… there were leaked screenshots of the Specialized Concept store listing the Kevnevo SL 1.2 a while back.
Why do you think Specialized have been selling off all existing stock at half price?

I’d be very surprised if it’s not announced in the next few weeks.

Geniusbiker

Jan 13, 2021
Germany
It’s not a rumour… there were leaked screenshots of the Specialized Concept store listing the Kevnevo SL 1.2 a while back.
Why do you think Specialized have been selling off all existing stock at half price?

How was this KSL2 looking on these leaked pictures? Did it have also the new SRAM transmission?

German dealers had their annual Specialized meeting late in August. They could see the new Roubaix (the new Tarmac was already released at that time) and the Creo SL2, there was no speak about a new KSL2 or at least a KSL Gen. 1 with the 1.2 motor). Mountainbike sector was dead silent...

Geniusbiker

Jan 13, 2021
Germany
Because nearly all who are interested in buying a KSL want the new motor and not many people are willing to buy the old one. They are doing nearly everything to sell their stocks of old KSLs somehow.

Last edited:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Is there a trick to reinstalling a shock into the rear mounts on the KSL linkage? The fit between the shock mounting bushings on the linkage seems so close, I have not figured out the right was to put the shock back in!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I used the old shock inserted from the wheel side to hold everything in place when swapping shocks.

R3Z3N

Mar 2, 2022
California
I took a file and SLIGHTLY filed the furthest edge of the shock to have a 60degish angle about 1mm deep. Still tough, but helps save quite a few minutes. Personally they should have had 2 more shims about 5mm like a headset spacer. ..... hmm might just have to machine the stock bearing cups down, and make 2 shims, actually 1 would be enough. Then sell it like fucking mad.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I took a file and SLIGHTLY filed the furthest edge of the shock to have a 60degish angle about 1mm deep. Still tough, but helps save quite a few minutes. Personally they should have had 2 more shims about 5mm like a headset spacer. ..... hmm might just have to machine the stock bearing cups down, and make 2 shims, actually 1 would be enough. Then sell it like fucking mad.
That is a very brave move! I would also be concerned that if there is any extra "space", however slight, that there would be water or dust/dirt ingress which could cause wear on the shock body or retaining bolt. I would also think that it is unnecessary as there has to be some shop tool that is used to do that job properly. I measured the space and the shock and it looks like there is 0.10mm clearance which would be taken up as flex in the aluminum shock mount when the bolt is torqued up.
I will try to design something that I can 3D print for the next time I have to take out the shock (thanks for the idea @Doomanic ) as the block of wood I hammered in to flex the shock mount seems like a really poor idea!

Razorrazoo

Oct 17, 2023
London
Hi, first time posting as I’m looking at a KSL given the good deals on full bikes and frames that are currently on (I know the new motor is due). I have a few questions, have not owned any sort of emtb before and currently on a SC Megatower.

Sizing – I’m 5’10, average proportions (not long of leg) and ride a large Megatower which has approx. 475 reach which I find spot on. This puts me bang between S3 (460) and S4 (485) on the KSL. already know dropper insertion is a weak point, so what size are people of my height riding and what length dropper do you have fitted?

The UI / Remote – I’m weighing up options on different models, is there any difference between the Expert and Comp models? The frame and shock look the same but I am unsure whether the Mastermind display is better spec on the costlier model. My current bike has a decent build (Zeb Ultimate, GX AXS, Hope E4s) and I could look at a frame swap with a lower spec KSL as being the best value option but don’t want to end up with an inferior KSL.

As an uplift bike – I use my current bike for all my mtb, the KSL would replace it. Is a KSL OK for uplift riding (Alps and UK bike park trailers), will the motor be happy lasting all day (given I'll not be using it on anything but low power if just riding DH)? Can it just be ‘turned off’ if doing downhill laps or does it need power to run the bike even if just riding downhill?

Any other pointers welcome.

tabbibus

May 5, 2023
Atlanta, USA
I don't believe there's a difference on remote and UI. While you will always want the TCU on, you can toggle the motor off if you don't want or need any assist. I'm 5'8" and have an S3. It runs a tad big for me. I wish l had s2. That being said , it's not too big. I have changed the stem and bars and fit much much better.

Apr 11, 2023
US
So I have KSL expert (s2). I have upgraded pretty much everything except fork (fox 38 performance elite). 1up dropper best fitting post for insertion length issues like on KSL. Replaced X2 performance with X2 factory, not the same adjustments. Went with Nobl 41, stock Roval Traverse very flimsy, plus i bent the rear wheel. Stem/bars replaced with RF carbon and Diety 35. Swapped cranks 160 praxis carbon, made a huge different pedal strikes (mullet) in high position. Mullet made a huge difference jumping, turning on tech/steep down. Axs installed from my previous bike. Oh and upgraded to RSC vs RS. Overall the bike is fine stock but some like myself like to dial in our bikes... So this is a great bike but, if you ride with others on full power you will not keep up, but this bike is a beast going down you can pass your friends going down, light enough to have pop, great for jumping you can even do jumps with steep take off (jumps meant for dirtjumpers) this bike will handle it no issues, just harder to keep speed as the suspension slows you down. My bike is about 37lbs, just a tad heavier than my analog...

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The frame/motor/battery is the same across all models so if you're going to upgrade immediately you might as well buy one in the colour you like best.

I've got an S3 Comp (1m77/5'9" with short legs) and run a 32mm stem. I've ridden an S4 and it felt far too long for me. I've swapped shock, forks, wheels, stem, bars, grips, mech/shifter, saddle and gone mullet.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
KSL works well in the park, a mate rode his in the alps this summer and used about half the battery in a week. Mostly getting from the chalet/car park to the lift. The remote lets you Click the motor off without turning the bike off and they pedal REALLY well with the motor off.

If you are particularly keen, you could drop out the internal battery (Rob has a video on this) to give you a slightly heavy and very competent enduro bike, which you can plug a range extender into if you need an e-bike for an afternoon

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
Hi, first time posting as I’m looking at a KSL given the good deals on full bikes and frames that are currently on (I know the new motor is due). I have a few questions, have not owned any sort of emtb before and currently on a SC Megatower.

Sizing – I’m 5’10, average proportions (not long of leg) and ride a large Megatower which has approx. 475 reach which I find spot on. This puts me bang between S3 (460) and S4 (485) on the KSL. already know dropper insertion is a weak point, so what size are people of my height riding and what length dropper do you have fitted?

The UI / Remote – I’m weighing up options on different models, is there any difference between the Expert and Comp models? The frame and shock look the same but I am unsure whether the Mastermind display is better spec on the costlier model. My current bike has a decent build (Zeb Ultimate, GX AXS, Hope E4s) and I could look at a frame swap with a lower spec KSL as being the best value option but don’t want to end up with an inferior KSL.

As an uplift bike – I use my current bike for all my mtb, the KSL would replace it. Is a KSL OK for uplift riding (Alps and UK bike park trailers), will the motor be happy lasting all day (given I'll not be using it on anything but low power if just riding DH)? Can it just be ‘turned off’ if doing downhill laps or does it need power to run the bike even if just riding downhill?

Any other pointers welcome.
I'm 5'11 with a short inseam (29) I started with an S4 and a 150mm dropper, and it felt huge stand over an reach wise. I am currently on an S3 with a one up 180mm dropper and a 50mm stem it feels so much better. Its a great do all bike as I use mine to ride with the younger fitter analog guys and have done a few days of park riding on it as well.

K123

Oct 17, 2023
Dublin

New 2024 Kenevo SL or maybe a typo on their website?

An excerpt from Specialized’s website with some details on the 2024 Kenevo SL 2024 model:

Turbo SL System​

UPDATE FOR 2024​

For Model Year 2024, Kenevo SL is updated with the Specialized SL 1.2 motor. The rock guard/motor cover are updated to fit the 1.2 motor. The cranks, spider, and chainring are also different than earlier versions.

MOTOR​

Specialized SL 1.2 motor is 30% more powerful than the 1.1 motor, providing 320 w / 50 Nm of peak power, and 250 w of nominal power.

The weblink:

Razorrazoo

Oct 17, 2023
London
Thanks for the responses thus far. I'm going to see if I can sit on an S3&4 over the next week or so to get an idea on size, I'd like to fit on an S4 to pick up the frame only, but suspect an S3 may be more suitable, i'll report back. Feedback on the flexibility of use is encouraging.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I would guess at an s3 working for you. A 6’ mate is happy on his s4 and at 6’3 I happily ride a s5, but don’t find the s4 too small. A lot of it is subjective, if possible ride before you buy.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
I am 177cm (5' 9.5"?), 82cm inseam (32"?) and I find S3 somewhere between ideal and on cusp of slightly too big. The 460mm reach isn't even that big for what I would consider "Medium" size today. After switching to Mullet and 35mm Stem, the bike became mini-DH bike, which is exactly what I wanted. Now the size feels fantastic. Looks like I have identical setup to Doomanic above.
The thing with e-bikes, is they're really planted thanks to their weight. It lets you get away with smaller size than you would otherwise and still get ridiculous stability. I believe even S2 would have been good and could even been more on the fun side. After riding my dirtjump bike when I have time on pump-tracks, I kinda like that aspect too.

Mt.Doggy

Oct 17, 2023
Japan
Unfortunately it isn't compatible with T-type chains. I ended up going with a 104 BCD spider replacement and Wolftooth chainring and bolts.
I found this. I think it will be released soon.
But I don't know how to buy it.

Sram - Chainring Eagle AXS Transmission 94BCD Light E-MTB - black Main.jpg

Last edited:

Razorrazoo

Oct 17, 2023
London
Managed to have a sit on an S3 today which felt good and pretty similar sized to my current bike, I don't think I'd want much bigger. Standover was fine and I think I may be able to fit a 180mm OneUp dropper to replace the 150mm installed once I can measure up properly.

I'd been eyeing this up as the best deal available, 51% off the Kenevo SL Expert so bit the bullet and ordered the last one before someone else did.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
There seems to be a fair bit of variance from all of the electric motors, even the same model.

But I ride with a buddy on a new Levo SL and I'm on a Relay and I can hear his motor clearly 15' away over my motor that I'm sitting on top of. I've also ridden the HP TQ50. If I were to rate the TQ a 10 on the quiet scale, and the 1.2 a 1 as the loudest, I'd put the F60 about a 7 or 8. Quite close to the HP.

the F60 also has 34% more battery juice and this becomes obvious when you run the bikes next to each other. You really need the RE on the 1.2 to equal the range of the F60.

I don't say any of this to type bad about the 1.2, just giving honest impressions.
Very different experience to me. There does seem to be a variance across all motors though. I’m amazed you can hear his motor 15 feet away whilst riding though with all the trail noise. Bizarre. He needs to get his checked.
The noise difference between the 1.1 and 1.2 is significant. Again, the 1.1 noise was never an issue for me though.
How do you find the Relay? I know someone who has one. Likes it overall but says it’s rattly/noisy when descending.

Last edited:

Nerds On Dirt MTB

Feb 20, 2023
The PNW
Very different experience to me. There does seem to be a variance across all motors though. I’m amazed you can hear his motor 15 feet away whilst riding though with all the trail noise. Bizarre. He needs to get his checked.
The noise difference between the 1.1 and 1.2 is significant. Again, the 1.1 noise was never an issue for me though.
How do you find the Relay? I know someone who has one. Likes it overall but says it’s rattly/noisy when descending.
I had a short time on my Relay, Lots of issues and I will summarize it as this: "Great bike, sub par ebike". Sticking with my full gas Levo, and got another Kenevo SL.

Pete N

May 10, 2020
Surrey
Due to the big companies not reading the market very well I think this will be a great few months to get some amazing deals.
Several bike companies have a glut of stock sat in warehouses. New models are rarely groundbreaking, often some nice improvements but not enough to justify the price between the new models and sale bikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles