Northern Colorado-E mnt bike trail access discussion

FCBuff

Jun 18, 2023
Rocky Mountains
So< I just picked up my 1st e mntn bike. Was all excited to hit some trails that I used to ride, but haven't in years... I am getting older and can't do the uphill sections without stopping frequently or "hike-a bike". Surprised to find out that literally everything is "closed" to Ebikes. I had no idea and am now pissed, and feel like "did I just waste my money"? I just rode a trail and didn't notice this until I got to the top and read the sign. Imagine my surprise. All the hikers I passed were cool, no one said a word. I was very polite to everyone...

What do people do? Lots of E mnt Bikes being sold, where are they being ridden? What is the environment like around Fort Collins, Boulder, Whole Colorado front range, Mountains? Are people riding Trails anyway? Getting any flack from bicycle Karen's?

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
I wouldn't worry about it man. If mountain bikes in general are allowed on the trail then I ride them. Life is too short to worry about such nonsense, just go ride your bike. In 4 years of riding ebikes I maybe have gotten one or two comments total. In general, no one cares and/or people don't even notice you're on an ebike.

FCBuff

Jun 18, 2023
Rocky Mountains
Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I was just reacting in the moment, while online. Usually not a smart thing to do...

It does seem interesting, there is a small, but intense group against E-bikes. Seems crazy to me, but some people need something to be angry about...

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
All of state parks in Colorado allow ebikes. Jeffco county allows them, Floyd hill, Maryland mtn all allow them. National forests are no go due to federal land management.

I have never had anyone be a Karen while on my ebike, usually most don't care those who do I ignore and ride on in turbo.

kauaibobby

Feb 9, 2022
Eagle, Colorado
So< I just picked up my 1st e mntn bike. Was all excited to hit some trails that I used to ride, but haven't in years... I am getting older and can't do the uphill sections without stopping frequently or "hike-a bike". Surprised to find out that literally everything is "closed" to Ebikes. I had no idea and am now pissed, and feel like "did I just waste my money"? I just rode a trail and didn't notice this until I got to the top and read the sign. Imagine my surprise. All the hikers I passed were cool, no one said a word. I was very polite to everyone...

What do people do? Lots of E mnt Bikes being sold, where are they being ridden? What is the environment like around Fort Collins, Boulder, Whole Colorado front range, Mountains? Are people riding Trails anyway? Getting any flack from bicycle Karen's?
Like d3ftone say’s just ride. I’ve been riding mine a few years. Live by vail and Aspen. A few people have commented. Lots of trails have no e-bike signs. Even a hiker with walking pole’s commented. Walking assist. I ride dirt bike trails that were too tough for me on dirt bike. I can walk it through tough spots if needed. Always looking for emtb rider to ride with. Have fun. Respect the trail and other riders. Ride defensive

BikingBad

Sep 6, 2022
USA
Rider from Virginia/Maryland here, mostly ride blue/black/double black diamond rated trails.

I will be visiting Denver, CO for 1st time, in October, taking couple days to ride. Any trail recommendations? Considering renting a full power emtb (current eMTBs: Spesh G3 Turbo Levo and KSL). Any bike rental shop recommendations? Perhaps joining a local group bike ride is another option. Thanks.

Last edited:

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
Rider from Virginia/Maryland here, mostly ride blue/black/double black diamond rated trails.

I will be visiting Denver, CO for 1st time, in October, taking couple days to ride. Any trail recommendations? Considering renting a full power emtb (current eMTBs: Spesh G3 Turbo Levo and KSL). Any bike rental shop recommendations? Perhaps joining a local group bike ride is another option. Thanks.
I am in Lakewood just west of Denver. I would be happy to ride with you if schedules align. What kind of trails do ypu like, flow, chunk etc... I can recommend some trails for you.

BikingBad

Sep 6, 2022
USA
I am in Lakewood just west of Denver. I would be happy to ride with you if schedules align. What kind of trails do ypu like, flow, chunk etc... I can recommend some trails for you.
That would be sweet! Current plan is to ride on 10/25-26 and if I had to choose one type of trail I prefer riding the most, it would have flow + chunk but enjoy riding anything.

Last edited:

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
That would be sweet! Current plan is to ride on 10/25-26 and if I had to choose one type of trail I prefer riding the most, it would have flow + chunk but enjoy riding anything.
Depending on weather, snow etc... there are a couple places that have a climbing trail followed by several downhill bike only trails. Here are some I am thinking now.

It takes me about 30 mins ish to get there from my house.

This one is about 15 mins from my house has even days for bike only downhill on magic mountain and enchanted forest which we can lap many times.

Same area Mountain Bike Trails near White Ranch Park

Incredible views and nice singletrack we can out and back on and skip the road part. Centennial Cone Mountain Bike Trail, Idaho Springs, Colorado

BikingBad

Sep 6, 2022
USA
Depending on weather, snow etc... there are a couple places that have a climbing trail followed by several downhill bike only trails. Here are some I am thinking now.

It takes me about 30 mins ish to get there from my house.

This one is about 15 mins from my house has even days for bike only downhill on magic mountain and enchanted forest which we can lap many times.

Same area Mountain Bike Trails near White Ranch Park

Incredible views and nice singletrack we can out and back on and skip the road part. Centennial Cone Mountain Bike Trail, Idaho Springs, Colorado
Thx! Maryland mountain is on top of my list! Having hard time locating eMTB demo/rental. ex. Wheat Ridge Cyclery has 2 but both are booked through October. Know any other local bikes shops you’d recommend?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles