Noisy EP8

Beer Man

Aug 24, 2021
Canada
Having noise issues, just trying figure out how to post a vid off my phone on here.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
After 1913 miles, mine is still silent. Well, maybe a slight rushing noise. The trail surface has to be just right to hear anything.
I have had many other riders saying how quiet it is. There is a slight metallic tinkle when coasting over rough ground, but I have to concentrate to hear it.

In other words, there is something wrong with your EP8. If mine started to make that noise, I would assume it was terminal!

Last edited:

Beer Man

Aug 24, 2021
Canada
Bike is a 2022 Norco Range VLT, has just over 2300 km,s on it. It has always been silent till about a week ago. Going to the shop tomorrow to have it checked out.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Bike is a 2022 Norco Range VLT, has just over 2300 km,s on it. It has always been silent till about a week ago. Going to the shop tomorrow to have it checked out.
Good man! Absolutely the right thing to do. Some would just ignore it and hope it would go quiet all by itself.

I had what I thought was a fault with my motor on my first ebike; it was not delivering the power it used to do. I was so convinced it was the motor that I didn't even look for whatever else it might have been. More fool me! :cry:

It turned out to be a motor mounting bolt that had come loose and was rubbing on the chainring. By the time the LBS got to it, the chainring was wafer-thin. I shudder to think what damage I might have done to myself if the ring had failed whilst I was exerting full pressure. :eek:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
As anyone with the title "beer man" you deserve everyone's 100% attention and respect.

BUT...

have you checked the obvious like slipped chain guide ? Chain jumped out of narrow wide ? All the other boring crap which is less important than drinking a beer.

Beer Man

Aug 24, 2021
Canada
Checked all the obvious, unfortunately no simple issues. In the vid you can see where I turn the motor off and keep pedaling and the noise goes away.

Will I Am

Mar 3, 2022
BC
Wow that sounds shite…please keep us updated. Picking up my 1st ebike later this week, a 2023 Bigfoot VLT1 and no idea what to expect as I haven’t ever even been around ebikes before. Has EP8 as well.

Beer Man

Aug 24, 2021
Canada
Will keep updated, that new Bigfoot looks awesome. My bike has been problem free compared to some of my friends. Hopefully your buying from a good shop, and they will take care of any issues.

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
After 1913 miles, mine is silent. Well, maybe a slight rushing noise. The trail surface has to be just right to hear anything.
I have had many other riders saying how quiet it is. There is a slight metallic tinkle when coasting over rough ground, but I have to concentrate to hear it.

In other words, there is something wrong with your EP8. If mine started to make that noise, I would assume it was terminal!
Steve Mine started with the infamous rattle but with 1340 miles under the wheels it is significantly quieter,

Beer Man

Aug 24, 2021
Canada
Update.... New warranty motor is in. First ride will be today. Just playing around on it in my driveway, and it seems like the distance travelled is way out. There's no way I put 2 kilometers riding my short driveway a few times:confused:. Will confirm today with my Garmin. Back to the shop if its screwed.

Beer Man

Aug 24, 2021
Canada
2nd update... All is good with the odometer, guess my driveway is longer than I thought:). Motor is very quiet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles