No waterproof seal on TCU to frame ……come on Spesh😡

Baron

Nov 2, 2018
UK
After a ride and the obligatory wash I turn the bike upside down for an inspection…check for damage etc. On doing so I find water dripping out from the sides of the TCU. Once I take the TCU out of the frame it’s clear that everything in there is wet. Why isn’t there a better waterproof seal on the TCU to prevent water ingress, surely water inside the frame especially around electrical hardware is a bad thing 🤷‍♂️. Ps, I never use a pressure washer.

Baron

Nov 2, 2018
UK
You’re sure it’s entering at the TCU? On my bikes it enters at the brake/shift line grommets, seat post, headset, and any drainage holes the frame may have.
Yes it’s definitely coming in there as the back/bottom of the TCU is soaking

Baron

Nov 2, 2018
UK
The inside edge of the TCU needs a soft rubber seal affixing to it so it seals to the frame once you tighten the single screw.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
After a ride and the obligatory wash I turn the bike upside down for an inspection
There's various places water seems to enter the frame (even rear triangle sometimes) like the cable ports.

Good practice is to put the back brake on after a wash and lift the front to let things drain out and then do the same with the front brake and rock forwards (using your body as a bike stand).

Even on a gen1 Kenevo with no TCU it's always amazing how much water is in there after a wash or a torrential rain ride.

But yes, the TCU is a bit crap on sealing/waterproofing (allowing drying by evaporation ? :) ). There are various threads on improving this. I think @Mikerb has written some.

Baron

Nov 2, 2018
UK
There's various places water seems to enter the frame (even rear triangle sometimes) like the cable ports.

Good practice is to put the back brake on after a wash and lift the front to let things drain out and then do the same with the front brake and rock forwards (using your body as a bike stand).

Even on a gen1 Kenevo with no TCU it's always amazing how much water is in there after a wash or a torrential rain ride.

But yes, the TCU is a bit crap on sealing/waterproofing (allowing drying by evaporation ? :) ). There are various threads on improving this. I think @Mikerb has written some.
I did a quick search before posting but nothing came up. I will look again👍
Is there a solution?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I can't remember which ones are good (too many threads to remember these days ?)

A quick search, should be some ideas in some of them ..

If you find the ultimate solution .... maybe write in that thread so it pops back up for a while :) (until we all forget again).

Baron

Nov 2, 2018
UK
I would be very interested to see how many other members find the inside of their TCU soaking wet after a normal wash.

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
To save you searching, my solution was to remove the TCU and wrap it with insulating tape being sure to also seal the area where the tail cables enter the back of it. I then also wrapped the the 2 connectors on those cable tails with amalgamating tape. Lastly I made a 1mm neoprene gasket to sit between the TCU and the frame.................alternatively you could use liquid gasket. If you use the liquid gasket, smear a very light amount of grease on the frame first. The liquid gasket will not then stick to the frame so removing the TCU in future is not made difficult. I never experienced any electrical problems with my Levo.
Not specifically related to the TCU but an additional step you could take to help waterproof you electrics is to push some grease into the area where the cables go back into the frame in the cross member behind the shock. That prevents water tracking down those cables to the main electrical connectors on the side of the motor.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
To add to Mikerb' suggestions, make sure to use dielectric grease for the connectors.

1667161099361.png

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
If you want to improve splash water protection, put duck tape on the TCU unit.
However, even that doesn't protect if you turn the bike upside down.
IMG_20200430_112016.jpg
IMG_20200430_112023.jpg

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
It's impossible to seal a frame.

Impossible!

The TCU should be sealed and turning the bike upside down when there is water in it is always going to force water to the TCU area.

It's not a design defect.

Get some silicon calk if you want to make sure no moisture gets in to the TCU.

greengenes

Jan 14, 2021
uk
The water doesn't come in the TCU area on my Levo. Mostly through the cable ports. I had the SL previously, and that was much worse for water ingress. I dont think its such a good idea to wrap the TCU in tape; in my experience it simply traps more moisture around the TCU.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
After a ride and the obligatory wash I turn the bike upside down for an inspection…check for damage etc. On doing so I find water dripping out from the sides of the TCU. Once I take the TCU out of the frame it’s clear that everything in there is wet. Why isn’t there a better waterproof seal on the TCU to prevent water ingress, surely water inside the frame especially around electrical hardware is a bad thing 🤷‍♂️. Ps, I never use a pressure washer.
I am always surprised at how much crap gets in through the cable holes at the front

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I have taped my TCU's with high grade electrical tape since suffering water ingress about a year ago. Shop had my bike for 5 weeks due to multiple misdiagnosis by them and/or Specialized, was TCU, duh! No issues from water since tape. Water can get into this area without a doubt, I never spray water even close to TCU anymore and just use a waterless cleaner for that area.

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
The danger with tape is that unless the sealing is perfect there is a good chance that water could get sealed in. Self-amalgamating tape done properly should work but a bit of a nightmare if access is needed to the port for updating etc.

My preference is thick silicone grease - Molykcote 111 or similar Molykote 111C100 Silicone Grease Tube - 100g for sale online | eBay . A bit messy if you have to remove the TCU but has worked well over the last couple of years and I have had no TCU issues since I tried washing the bike upside down!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Well I used a good quality insulating tape and I warmed it first to activate the glue. You may at some stage need access to the USB port and insulating tape is easy to remove. I never had any electrical problems.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles