• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Night Riding - Light on Helmet or Bars?

Gordonrides

Jun 9, 2020
Norway
Hey folks - autumn is fast approaching and it won't be long (up here in Norway) before it is dark by 15:00. This means a lot of riding in the dark. Which is better for trail riding - a light on the bars or a light on the helmet? What is your experience?

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Both, the bar lights give you a overall flood effect and the helmet light ensures you'll always illuminate the direction you're looking. Make sure you get lights that will last longer than your intended ride.
At least now it's fairly easy with ebikes to mount at least a 500lm front light to give you a basic level of illumination.

This was my setup last year - a 500lm wired into the bike (limited by the system lighting output), and 2 Lezyne 1800i with battery packs in the top tube bag. I also have a 600lm helmet mounted light.

IMG_20200108_181622.jpg

Last edited:

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Dont get anything to plug into your bike they just arent powerful enough. I run Magicshine 4000lmn on the bars and exposure 1500lmn on my bonce, both will do 1.5 hours at full chat or hours and hours on lower settings.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I've read many articles on best use of lights for night mtb riding. Solicited the input of my riding buddies and tried various combinations myself. Definitely recommend having a bar mounted light as well as a helmet mounted light.

Once deciding on using 2 lights, what lumen combo/type of light works best? For a while I had my brightest light (Lights & Motion Seca 2500) on my helmet and a Lights & Motion Taz 2000 mounted on my bars. Worked very well and was able to ride at a pretty good clip at night.

A helmet mounted light that projects farther out with a focused light pattern gives great luminance on the path you are most likely riding since we tend to look in the direction on the line we pick.

Recently purchased a Magicshine Monteer 8000 Lumen light that is insanely bright, yet has great depth and doesn't have a "snow blind" effect. Decided to put my 8000 lumen on the handlebar using one of the wide beam modes and put my Seca 2500 on my helmet, adjusting position so it focuses beyond the beam of the Magicshine. Been extremely happy with this setup! 8000 lumens is like a jet plane light and I run the 4000 lumen mode which lasts over 4 hours. Set my Seca 2500 in the mode that allows 1 touch switching between full blast mode (2500 lumens) and medium power mode (1250 lumens). Highly recommend carrying extra batteries and I actually carry an extra 1500 lumen light mounted on bars as an emergency backup.

If you only ride with one light, definitely mount on helmet. When using 2 lights, depends on the lumens/beam patterns of your lights. My buddy still rides with brightest light on helmet and this works good for his agressive riding style/light combination.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles