Newbie owner questions

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Just acquired a jam2.

In the TEC pack there are some rubber bands. Now looking at the instructions there is a really dark picture that looks like the band stretches around the bottom of the plastic bottle cage bracket and what looks like a water bottle. I tried to secure a bottle but it won't sit nicely and besides there are screws supplied to fix a bottle cage, so what are the bands for?
Do you need to stick the rubber buffers to the battery? What purpose do they serve?

Also for those of you who carry spares/tools attached to your bike and not in a back pack, where on the bike and what are you using to keep these things on the bike?

Not tried the jam2 in anger yet but seems a great ride!

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
You mean the rubber ladder thing?
1611849831366.png

Those are used for strapping extra stuff to your bottle holder plate. (Left in the picture)
When you are not using the Battery, you can put that plate on with a bottle holder and extra stuff.

Si1

Jun 6, 2019
OX18
The rubber bands are for securing an innertube (or anything else that would fit) underneath the bottle.
*Edit: as the post above.
1611849922624.png

The rubber stick on buffers are really just for cosmetics or very minor protection. I guess it's up to you whether you use them or not.

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Ahh, seems obvious now (y)

Got my toolpack strapped on the frame now and the mucky nutz fenders have transferred over from the old bike ok.

Next question, this is my first time running tubeless. For emergencies out on the trail, what should I carry, just an inner tube and pump? or is that a co2 canister in the pic?

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Those Rubber bands are pretty near useless ...all mine have broken so have replaced with adjustable velcro straps or giant propper rubber bands.
Still trying to find the best place to carry my tool kit.
Re trail punctures CO2 cannister usually enough BUT be sure you carry the tubeless puncture worm kit....has saved me several times carry some latex puncture glue as well.
Enjoy the Focus

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm sure I read somewhere that the CO2 gas in those cannisters make the latex sealant go off.
Is that actually true, or is just true that it's a rumour?

I take a spare tube, plus pump and levers to fit the tube. Pliers to remove the tubeless valve of course. In addition I have tyre patches in case I slash the tyre, worms to plug holes in the tyre that sealant won't fix. Finally, I have tube patches in case the newly fitted tube then gets a puncture! They are my talisman to make sure that I never have to use them. They work 99.5% of the time. Then you really need them or you are walking home!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles