Newbie in Western North Carolina

MichaelH

Aug 20, 2023
North Carolina
Hi everyone!

I have yet to purchase an ebike, but really want to. Unfortunately where I live there’s so much anti-ebike talk. I’ve been into mtb and cycling for almost 2 decades and I have serious arthritis in my knees. Anyway looking to get back into riding with minimal pain and hoping the trail police come to their senses soon. If horses and hikers are allowed on the trails here, I don’t see why pedal assist is banned.
Also looking for some advice for a frame with motor and battery and building the rest myself. I’ve found specialized frames, but they are so expensive still.
Thanks!

John-E

Subscriber
Aug 9, 2023
North America
Hey,
My average cadence with my ebike is around 90rpm. It was about 60 with my analog bike. My knees have never been happier. The ebike motor removes the torque that used to aggravate my knees and I no longer have to bring ice with me when I ride to cool my knees down after.
WNC is dominated by US National Forest Service land that has a discriminatory policy towards class1 e-bikes hence the perception that NC is anti e-bike when it is actually the USNF to blame. DuPont State Forest is a unique problem with the ban on ebikes while NC Parks are ebike friendly. I have no idea why ebikes are banned at BermPark.
People mostly ride their ebikes all over the place with no problems. You will find a bunch anti ebike douche bags on social media but most dont have the balls to say anything in person so dont worry about it. YOU are going to love ebiking!

John-E

Subscriber
Aug 9, 2023
North America
I'm new here too. We need NC advocacy for access to DuPont and Pisgah. So I'm glad I've found this site.
Cool. We could definitely use some more voices out there on social media pushing for more e-bike access in WNC. Nothing is going to change if we dont speak out.🍻

John-E

Subscriber
Aug 9, 2023
North America
Thanks for posting those up.

If you guys are on FaceBook a lot of people from the Carolinas are on:
-eMTB US Network

If you are in the Charlotte area and looking for somebody to ride with check out:
-Charlotte Area E-bike Riders
and
-Charlotte EMTB Riders
they also frequently plan rides to WNC.

If you want to defend or promote ebike access in WNC try:
-WNC MTB Trail Conditions
-WNC Mountain Biking - Official (Since 2013)

hilbil-E-bikr

Sep 7, 2021
Alabama USA
I lived and mtn biked in WNC many years ago (Asheville then Boone). It appears there is almost nowhere up there that allows e-bikes. If I were still there I’d get a trek ex-e or a pivot shuttle SL, something silent with a small inconspicuous motor. When I was there you would rarely run into anyone in pisgah, especially grandfather district. Not sure if it’s like that anymore though.

TimJr21

Subscriber
Aug 21, 2023
United States
I lived and mtn biked in WNC many years ago (Asheville then Boone). It appears there is almost nowhere up there that allows e-bikes. If I were still there I’d get a trek ex-e or a pivot shuttle SL, something silent with a small inconspicuous motor. When I was there you would rarely run into anyone in pisgah, especially grandfather district. Not sure if it’s like that anymore though.
You are correct by and large. Kanuga allows. I will say, there are a number of e-bikes being quietly ridden in Pisgah.

hilbil-E-bikr

Sep 7, 2021
Alabama USA
I will say, there are a number of e-bikes being quietly ridden in Pisgah.
I’m sure there’s a lot of that going on. There is no reason e-bikes should not be allowed in pisgah. They cause no more trail damage than acoustic bikes. I have seen horses absolutely destroy trails in GF district. After 9 years in flat lower Alabama. I’d need some assist to ride anything in wnc. 😂

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
The scene has changed at Dupont and lower Pisgah from twenty+ years ago (it is a zoo now). The Grandfather district on the other hand is my favorite. I very rarely see anyone except on 21 Jumps or School House Ridge, sometimes on Yancey. As much fun as Grandfather is riding bio, electrons make it amazing. Two years ago I was talking to the Ranger in charge of timber for Pisgah NF about the plans for Estes while at the trailhead, he did not say a word to us about being on ebikes. The key approach is to not give those riding bio a reason to complain to the Rangers. The intra-group bias is a shame, but it's something we will have to deal with.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles