Newbie emtb'er

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
New to the emtb F.O.L.D. Bought a Focus JAM 6.8 Nine (see what I did there?)today from Sprockets Cycles in Kilmarnock. Guys we're great to deal with, all done over the phone & internet due to current restrictions. They've got some great deals on unused ex Demo bikes. 20% off list price on mine. I'm from Yorkshire originally, but reside in Motherwell now, so got lots of local trails to attack to get used to it. Have had an analogue mtb for 7 years, got to mid 50's & realised I needed a bit of assistance. Looking forward to trying emtb. Will post updates as I progress. Stay Safe and support the NHS.

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
New to the emtb F.O.L.D. Bought a Focus JAM 6.8 Nine (see what I did there?)today from Sprockets Cycles in Kilmarnock. Guys we're great to deal with, all done over the phone & internet due to current restrictions. They've got some great deals on unused ex Demo bikes. 20% off list price on mine. I'm from Yorkshire originally, but reside in Motherwell now, so got lots of local trails to attack to get used to it. Have had an analogue mtb for 7 years, got to mid 50's & realised I needed a bit of assistance. Looking forward to trying emtb. Will post updates as I progress. Stay Safe and support the NHS.

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
IMG_1199.JPG

Got the Focus. Been out on it twice, really impressed with the power delivery & range only had it down to 75% even after 20 miles. It think I've read on another thread about chain noise when changing gear, mine seems to be suffering the same symptoms, doesn't matter if it's under load or not it's still noisy. Has anyone any ideas? to try & save me sending it in to try to get it sorted during lockdown.

an12dyw

Nov 6, 2019
Durham
I have the focus jam 2 with shimano motor, i put a lezyne chain stay protector on the bike when i got it, try that as my bikes pretty quiet.

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
I have the focus jam 2 with shimano motor, i put a lezyne chain stay protector on the bike when i got it, try that as my bikes pretty quiet.

Thanks for that, sorry should have said, its noise from the cassette when changing gear, seems more noisy than would be acceptable. I think it maybe a set up problem.

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
mainly in boost mode?
It is the Bosch equipped model. It seems noisy which ever mode it's in, and doesn't seem to matter if you've got weight on the drive or not. It does seem to be getting better, with each ride, so maybe bedding in or I'm getting use to the noise?.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Is it "clunking" as you change gear or sounding like it's slipping ?? Do you ease off the power when you change ? Ideally, depending on the situation, you do a couple of hard pedals then ease off as you change so there's not much loading on the chain. Though it could just be an indexing issue you're talking about.

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
Is it "clunking" as you change gear or sounding like it's slipping ?? Do you ease off the power when you change ? Ideally, depending on the situation, you do a couple of hard pedals then ease off as you change so there's not much loading on the chain. Though it could just be an indexing issue you're talking about.
It is more of a clunking, it's mainly on the small gears closer to the derailleur. Still noisy without any load/power on when changing gears. Seems worse with slight load on the chain. I will try your suggestion of easing off prior to changing, when I'm out tomorrow. I appreciate your post, & suggestion. I love some of your funnier "tongue in cheek" replies to some of the posts I have read on here so far. ???

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
It is more of a clunking, it's mainly on the small gears closer to the derailleur. Still noisy without any load/power on when changing gears. Seems worse with slight load on the chain. I will try your suggestion of easing off prior to changing, when I'm out tomorrow. I appreciate your post, & suggestion. I love some of your funnier "tongue in cheek" replies to some of the posts I have read on here so far. ???
There’re not ‘tongue in cheek’ . He really is mad and needs to get out more. IMHO.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles