Levo Gen 3 New Wheels Tyre recommends???

Jase

Subscriber
Apr 22, 2022
UK
Hello,
I have a Turbo Levo, running Maxxis 2.5 WT Assegai front Exo+, DHR 2.4 Double down rear. Cushcore front and back.
I ride all terrain, Forrest, rocks, road and occasional bike park.
Have a new set of wheels coming and was wondering about going Magic Mary super gravity, no inserts or maybe Specialized Cannibal no inserts. Do you run the Cannibal on the back also?
My current set up must be pretty weighty, but has not let me down yet? Wondered what people were running as a best all round set up for a bit of everything. Trouble with having the cushcore is I find it’s a fit and leave as a hassle to swap tyres about when set up.
No it’s a controversial one, feel I’m in a Maxxis bubble and is it worth a change.

Cheers

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
I am/was a big fan of the Assegai up front but have just swapped to a Specialized Hillbilly Grid Trail in T9. The 2.4 HillBilly inflates to about the same volume as a 2.6 Assegai but is a fair bit lighter (150g) and the Assegai doesn't come in a 2.6 with the MaxxGrip compound.
Very happy with it, just been out in fairly slippery conditions and I think it is better than the Assegai in the wet (roots, mud rocks). I've also had it out in less wet conditions and it rolled better than I expected, probably about the same as an Assegai. AND cheaper.
I've had various rear Maxxis tyres and I always get disappointed by the difference in the inflated width and the stated width. EXO+ seems to be enough for me (with very good inserts), EXO (without the plus) absolutely hopeless. I like the Michelin Wild Enduro rear in Gum X and USED to like the Magi X for the front but I think they have changed it and it is now a disaster at low temperatures. Seems very tough casing and the weight is good.
I've had various Continental Tyres over the years and they always swear they are much better than the old ones and I fall for it only to find they are still crap, maybe the new ones (Argotal etc) are but I've been burnt too many times and the prices are very steep.
Magic mary gets great reviews but they dont do the softest rubber in anything but the heaviest casings so I haven't tried them.
I'd look at the Specializeds, prices (and weights) are really good and they seem to be the sizes quoted and have sensible combos of compound and sidewall.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles