Levo Gen 2 Faster rolling tyres recommendations please

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I liked the look of the Schwalbe Hurricanes for my second wheel set - smooth running middle for commuting, with knobs on the side for the occasional woody excursion - and was about to order, then saw on the vendor's site (not Schwalbe's!) that they are only good for weights up to 105kg. And they're a supposed to be e-bike tyres!

Given my 114 Kg in my cotton socks, plus bike, plus gear, looks like I'm going to have to reenter the land of indecision...

1616945607547.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
try a minion SS in dual compound.
They offer good offroad grip and great cornering and at 45psi+ they roll really well on asphalt. (TBF I wouldn't run a rear much under 40psi even off road) They are also available in tougher casings if you need them - Although Exo should be fine at your weight at higher pressures unless your little off road excursions involve pointy rocks.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
try a minion SS in dual compound.
They offer good offroad grip and great cornering and at 45psi+ they roll really well on asphalt. (TBF I wouldn't run a rear much under 40psi even off road) They are also available in tougher casings if you need them - Although Exo should be fine at your weight at higher pressures unless your little off road excursions involve pointy rocks.
Grandpa mentioned High Rollers, OOI what's your verdict on those?

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I have Conti RaceKings on my Levo SL, good on dry hardpack and asphalt. Plus the word "race" on the sidewall is good for an extra 2 mph. ;)

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
4 realz?
There are eleventy thousand different tyres out there. It's not rocket science working out which tread patrons and compounds roll best
And you normally have a useful opinion on most products, sorry to bother you.....

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I went for the Almotion 29x2.15s in the end. I ordered them before working out that 28"=29"!! See 28 equals 29 in the crazy world of tyre sizes - EMTB Forums

Apparently, the weight limit is on a per tyre basis, so the Hurricane's would have been OK, as long as I didn't do any wheelies.

So far so good. Much smoother. Coasting is actually a thing now! I don't really notice the speed at which the motor stops supporting me.

Biggest difference is going downhill, where the "system weight" is actually helpful.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles