Rail (625Wh) New Trek Rail 7 snapping chains, bent e-13 ring, trashed chainguide

Kiwimike

May 10, 2021
Scotland!
Firrst serious ride out with a mate on his new Rail 7 - and what a complete shambles. M7100 (SLX) chain snapped *twice* and derailed *4 times*. Bike is new - like less than 100km new. On the last run (when we gave up) the E13 chainguide snapped off along with the chain breaking - plastic junk.

I'd straightened teeth on the *steel* E13 ring twice too, so they were perfectly-aligned. They still are, after the last failure.

Chain is correct length for full travel, leaving some mech play.

I'm a Bosch-certified mechanic and have about 3000km of pretty harsh Highlands riding (mostly Dunkeld) on my own eMTB (Decathlon Stilus 85Nm CX, SLX chain, SRAM cassette) - and have never snapped a chain despite innumerable Hail Mary faffed shifts under full load with accompanying cracking out the back.

I'm suspecting here, given the chain is a new SLX, correct length and everything else is sorted:

1. the E13 plastic guide is rubbish, and is allowing the chain to move too much, thereby ramping up over the teeth

2. The steel ring itself is too pliant, and when the guide fails to align the chain, the teeth then bend under the load.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of failure? any suggestions that will work - ie different steel ring / metal chainguide? Having paid £5500 for this bike my mate is not a happy Trek customer...especially when I'm cracking on trouble-free with a £2700 Stilus :)

Found a thread pointing to this E13 bulletin: https://support.ethirteen.com/hc/en-us/sections/4408352455067-Technical-Service-Bulletins-TSB- - so E13 are blaming 'chainline inconsistencies, and suggest a 1mm spacer to shift the ring outboard will fix things - anyone tried this?

Last edited:

monty1991

Nov 12, 2021
Northern Ireland
mate had the same prob with his new rail 7. ended up with new chainring, derailleur and chain from trek. different brand of chainring fixed it I believe. I'm 1600k on my 22 rail 7 with no problems. strange it affected some new bikes 😞

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles