Other New Specialized 1.2 SL Custom Rx Trail Tuned Motor AS AN UPGRADE

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
I’ve seen a shop do a direct swap the old SL motor to the new 1.2 on a Kenevo SL

I heard Specialized will be announcing the option to purchase the New Specialized 1.2 SL Custom Rx Trail Tuned Motor as an upgrade for bikes fitted with the old motor. I don’t know if the old motor will be taken back as a core deposit or what

Does anyone have an idea of how much an SL motor costs? Will it be worth buying an Sworks Kenevo SL frame that’s currently discounted and wait for the upgrade kit?

i currently have the gen2 Levo SL and 50nm on a lightweight is fine. I am open to having a Kenevo SL with 50nm’s as well

anyone hear of the upgrade option? It makes sense for Specialized to offer the new motor

Last edited:

Trail Blazer

Jun 13, 2021
Sweden
I think it would be a ESG move that will affect the market in whole.

Most of Specialized existing bikes are now "old" compared to what other light and mid-weight offerings. For me its future proofing an investment to be "usable" for years to come.

They might provide "replacement" batteries with better and higher capacity also. There are "talks" about that they a least is coming out with higher capacity range extenders in or close to existing form factors.

Just have a look a Bosch new CX an SX. I can downsize from 750 to 400 W batteries to fit my rides better. "Next gen" Panasonics could be used by Specialized.

It would also be a shift in the business model from selling just new bikes to maintaining a fleet.
There are not any more first mover advantage in offering a slightly better motor, range, frame, components....

Its all about reliability, sustainability, upgradability...as/with the "best" service that gives usability for a "premium" price.

Specialized could be the Apple with its Iphone business model.

PainkillerSPE

Aug 16, 2023
NC
My specialized shop told me that Specilized has no plans to offer the new motor as an upgrade and that they doubt they ever will.

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
I certainly doubt that Specialized will ever offer motor upgrades. It's the opposite of the industry standard model which is to lure buyers into buying a brand new bike or bikes every few years with something new and improved. Would it be cool if EMTB's became modular and upgradable....?....hell yes and I hope it happens. Especially since it seems like geometry is getting pretty near the sweet spot. So we won't have bikes where the geometry is super outdated anymore.

Now, will there be a side market for people who want to upgrade motors and or batteries? Maybe, if the parts are in fact swappable then there could be shops or online stores that provide that service. There already are some EMBT motor shops around. You can get whole motors and or belt and gear upgrade parts. I've heard the FF Levo motor costs $950 for out of warranty purchase. Specialized is not going to warranty such a motor unless you buy it from an authorized dealer and Specialized dealers won't sell EMTB specifc parts that don't match the serial number of the bike they came stock on. So, as of now and for the near future it's probably a non starter.

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
I have a customer who has been waiting for months for a warranty SL motor. I was told there is no way to get the new motor to work on the prior model bikes.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I was told there is no way to get the new motor to work on the prior model bikes.
That is simply not true ..

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
That is simply not true ..

I don't doubt it. It did come from Specialized Warranty. I'm sure they have a script to follow.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
I have a customer who has been waiting for months for a warranty SL motor. I was told there is no way to get the new motor to work on the prior model bikes.
A local shop owner already installed the new 1.2 on a Kenevo SL. The same shop also posted on social media that they will be offering this upgrade soon. When i called i was informed they could not mention more details yet, but it will be announced from specialized. That’s all I know and i guess i’ll wait to see what happens….

Jun 12, 2020
lake Tahoe
So, is there any truth to the idea that the 1.2 motor fits the existing 1.1 motor frame mounts (i.e. Levo SL, Kenevo SL and Creo SL) if the wiring harness and MCU are compatible, the only other obvious other part swap would require the Sram DUB crank (as opposed to the ISIS crank interface on the 1.1 motor.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So, is there any truth to the idea that the 1.2 motor fits the existing 1.1 motor frame mounts (i.e. Levo SL, Kenevo SL and Creo SL) if the wiring harness and MCU are compatible, the only other obvious other part swap would require the Sram DUB crank (as opposed to the ISIS crank interface on the 1.1 motor.
No. None at all. Its all fiction.

Or you could read the thread and associated links and maybe ...

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
No. None at all. Its all fiction.

Or you could read the thread and associated links and maybe ...
It's not exactly proven to be plug-n-play let alone field tested. Sarcasm isn't super helpful to members asking legitimate questions. From what I've seen it's all theoretically possible but not fully tested let alone remotely supported by Specialized. One big question I would have is where do you source the motor? You can't just pop in to the local Specialized dealer and order a motor. I tried something similar with the TCU I wanted the LED TCU but my bike had the Mastermind. The dealer would/could not order the part that did not match the serial number for my bike. These are legitimate concerns that would need to be fully vetted before anyone starts pulling the trigger on something like what I would consider ad great option of buying a used KSL and swapping in the 1.2. With all the possible headache and potential lack of warranty support it's maybe better to just wait for the KSL update. I don't already have an SL model, so others who already have a bike that is out of warranty would have less of these concerns. Even if you could buy a 1.2 motor and it did fit in your SL which it does look like it should...Specialized will never warranty that motor in a non-OEM fitment. Could be worth the gamble though. Though, considering how many people needed Brose warranty replacements...probably not a gamble I'd take.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Having ridden an LSL2 I wouldn't spend much money on a 1.2 replacement. I'd pay a nominal amount if it was part of a warranty upgrade but given the cost for a clean upgrade is likely to be well over £1K I just don't think it's worth it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dax

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Sarcasm isn't super helpful to members asking legitimate questions.
So, is there any TRUTH to the IDEA that the 1.2 motor fits the existing 1.1 motor frame mounts

Was it sarcasm ? or was it a supposition followed by a theory of how to find the answer ??

Personally, I like to try to help people with questions.

In this case, someone asked a question. The answer to that question is already contained in the thread. I don't really think it's too much to expect someone to read 10 posts rather than just the title. Even if it means they have to click on a link to a thread with all the answers. I don't find it helpful when people don't read the thread and just post their question as the thread just repeats itself ad infinitum and isn't remotely interesting or informative for anyone following the thread.

I'm guessing the rest of your reply wasn't directed at me and was just your own hypothesis ? Seen as STM was only asking about truth and the idea, not the practicalities of implementation - which I didn't mention in my reply.

Your points are also already discussed in this thread, the linked thread and the KSL thread - but obviously you're entitled to share your opinion and everything you've said is completely valid.

Last edited:

cañonaco

Feb 3, 2020
España
Entonces, ¿hay alguna verdad en la idea de que el motor 1.2 se ajusta a los soportes de bastidor del motor 1.1 existente (es decir, Levo SL, Kenevo SL y Creo SL) si el arnés de cableado y la MCU son compatibles, el único otro cambio obvio de otra parte requería el Manivela Sram DUB (a diferencia de la interfaz de manivela ISIS en el motor 1.1.
Having ridden an LSL2 I wouldn't spend much money on a 1.2 replacement. I'd pay a nominal amount if it was part of a warranty upgrade but given the cost for a clean upgrade is likely to be well over £1K I just don't think it's worth it.
For me, after 20 rides with the Levo SL2 and another 2 years with the KSL, the new engine is worth it for the noise alone (not considering the increase in power) but also worth it considering the power alone, not taking into account huge noise reduction.

In fact, if they offer to change the engine, I'm considering keeping the KSL, in addition to the Levo SL2!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Of course I'd take a 1.2 if they were to offer a free upgrade, but it's pretty unlikely.

soso79

Feb 19, 2021
Germany
You can Check the Prices with your dealer. Everything has a Part number. With 1000€ for Motor and needed parts you can take a look at it ;)

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Are you saying your dealer can order all the parts required for the conversion?

soso79

Feb 19, 2021
Germany
I say your dealer can See all the prices… they cant easily Order, but they see Everything you Need. To find a Solution its up to you.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
If your dealer is anything like mine (Velosprint) biggest Specialized reseller in my country, they're often not even interested in selling me a bike, let alone look into system for anything :- ).
I remember when KSL Comp came out, I asked them if they can order it/had ordered some/etc.. and they told me something like maybe in 7 months but were not even interested in checking. Almost bothered I didn't want the wrong size S-Works on pedestal.
I bought one 2 weeks later at Bike24.de 600 Euro cheaper than MSRP.
Most dealers really aren't anything like in USA with motivated stuff and wanting to please the customer. The average bike dealer I always come across here are just barely showing interest in doing bare necessities of job.
Now the mechanics on other hand are almost always great people.
For KSL only Engine and Bashguard would be needed since Mastermind is already in, so 1000 +/- Euro upgrade would be reasonable, and almost generous from Specialized (I mean the Mastermind, tiny Arduino with small LCD is 500 euro lol)

At 1500 +/- Euro I would hesitate about the upgrade already since it's so incremental.

Last edited:

soso79

Feb 19, 2021
Germany
Motor alone msrp is 1.700€
Plus crank, Spider, chainring. And ksl you have to work on Bashguard and chainguide. And you need the Software, or you Ride with 80% and no Mission control. So if you do t have best Access to your dealer/friend, better buy new 2024 frameset or the kidsbike and swap Everything.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
better buy new 2024 frameset or the kidsbike and swap Everything.
The kid's bike is the cheapest way to do it, especially if you have a tiny partner who won't care about getting the old motor.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
This KSL has the 1.2 motor
IMG_3723.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles