New Shock?? - Bullit 2021

Vertas

Mar 22, 2020
Denmark
So my Bullit from 2020 - Model 2021 has served me well, and is past 10k kilometres.

Everything wears out, so it is likely time for a new shock.

I knew it was about time for a large service and had previously seen my inners worn rather down. Pricewise it's about half the cost of a new shock fixing the old one, 240ish euro.

So it's either fixing it or trying something new, which is why I'm writing this post. I'm open to both coil and air and was hoping some of you lads had some great experiences you'd like to share and maybe pros/cons?

The new coil is 399 euros atm for a RockShox super deluxe ultimate, without the spring and that seems tempting compared to fixing the old one. I can't afford a Push 11.6, although that seems like a dreamy product.

The price range is around 400-600euro tops.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I'm open to both coil and air and was hoping some of you lads had some great experiences you'd like to share and maybe pros/cons?

The new coil is 399 euros atm for a RockShox super deluxe ultimate,

I'm rollin' on a 2021 Heckler, which is a similar suspension design to your Bullit. Looking at the rotation of the pivot in relation to the shock, it appears to have a substantial declining rate of movement, which would be better served with an air shock. I'm no suspension expert and I can't find a graph showing wheel/shock movement, so I could be totally wrong. But that's what I think.

In my case, it doesn't matter because the shock tunnel on my bike is too small to accommodate a coil. After upgrading my fork, the limitations of the factory DPS shock became much more evident. I needed to restore some balance between the front and rear, so two weeks ago I installed a 2023 Super Deluxe Ultimate (air). As you would expect, it really smooths out the harsh landings of my awkward riding style. Also, it really smooths out the harsh chunk, keeping the tire in contact with the ground and allowing better control. The difference is quite clear.

My advice is to take a look at the 2023 version, as there have been substantial upgrades from previous years. The cost here is $599, but I squeezed the store for a 10% discount. 399€ seems like a smokin' deal.

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Coils work very well on the bullits, I put an ext e-storia on mine half way through last summer and fell in love.

If you don't mind the bit of harshness that comes with the air shock you may as well rebuild. The coil will be plusher and will erase trail chatter in comparison.

I kept my air shock as a spare.

D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles