New Shimano ep8 Motor upgrade?

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
I happen to have a spare EP8 motor and a decoy currently in my garage. Wondering if I should try to make them work...
BDC08441-2C9C-44C3-A4DE-7197E938F7F4.jpeg

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Where on the ether have you found ep8?
I have a new Commencal Meta and the motor was already having some issues, so got this one from warranty. The one currently in my Meta has seemed to “fixed itself” and hasn’t given me any issues for a few rides, so as long as Shimano doesn’t threaten to charge me for this motor if I don’t send it back, I’ll have an extra to either save as a back up or try and rig up to my Dad’s decoy. Because the motor power delivery is definitely a nice upgrade.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
No. I read it was not just a plug and play situation, and the e8000 on the decoy was still going strong, so didn’t want to risk messing something up.
Ah ok I see.
But in the meantime I found this vid

eia

Apr 6, 2019
Germany
nice Video! But I can not believe the EP8 will fit into an old Decoy frame. Most manufactures uses this plastic cover to hide the cables. But YT integrated this into the frame. I think here you will get collision with the EP8.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
nice Video! But I can not believe the EP8 will fit into an old Decoy frame. Most manufactures uses this plastic cover to hide the cables. But YT integrated this into the frame. I think here you will get collision with the EP8.
The bolt holes are the same, but I don't know about the cables. But I do believe you have to adjust the pitch/angle of the motor for the frame. I haven't tried it, but you can do it yourself with the ST Unlocker app. If I were to upgrade a motor, I would just go in, read the old motor pitch and set the new one to the same. Shimano makes it sound like they are do something very special and magic when they claim to "adjust the motor to the frame" and say they only they can do it, but I believe the pitch is the only thing they do. And it's very very simple to do yourself too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles