Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

Screenshot 2021-05-27 at 15.12.56.png

Screenshot 2021-05-27 at 15.13.12.png

ebnash

Aug 16, 2020
Los Gatos, CA
I would have already placed my preorder for the Core 4, but these idiots didn't even give us a bigger battery. So many promises, and so much let down, a year later...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Putting aside the magical mythical 700wh battery and tales of service woe, I think YT have done the right thing here by just updating the motor - it’s a cracking bike as is, so why mess with a winning formula.

Stuckthrottle

Jan 24, 2021
San Diego
I was one click away from putting a deposit on one. But I took a deep breath and did not follow through. The battery is the biggest turn off for me, but there are a few others that weren't addressed in this revision.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Put a deposit down (core 4) to ensure I'll have a bike next year ....

Preliminary takes on specs (100% opinionated and biased) :cool:

Pros:

1. EP8 Motor (no surprise here)
2. Lack of E13 parts on Core 4 (chainguide will be changed)
3. 160mm cranks
4. 2.8 rear tire is gone .. albeit the frame is the same
5. Decent weight

Cons (or surprises)

1. Battery .. although 540W is fine for me
2. Crankbrothers Synthesis Wheels .. in ALLOY ?? For this price point was expecting carbon.
3. 51 mm offset fork - would have preferred to see a new frame designed to accommodate a 44mm offset (drop a degree off HA). Since "the formula" works, I'll live with it.
4. YT Postman Dropper post (will change)
5. 200mm rotors (easy to swap .. but a 220mm out front would have been nice)

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
I managed to put an order through for the MX 3core in green. I would have loved to have seen the Shimano battery (its my understanding shimano will service 3rd party batteries dunno if YT is under that), and SLX brakes (preference). I only live 50mins from the mill its reassuring if there's an issue I can go to them.

I have a Marin E2 on order as well since Dec last year for April delivery but delivery dates are slipping now end of July and if it's not in that the next drop date is Nov. So now I'm hedging my bets.

Last edited:

ebnash

Aug 16, 2020
Los Gatos, CA
Put a deposit down (core 4) to ensure I'll have a bike next year ....

Preliminary takes on specs (100% opinionated and biased) :cool:

Pros:

1. EP8 Motor (no surprise here)
2. Lack of E13 parts on Core 4 (chainguide will be changed)
3. 160mm cranks
4. 2.8 rear tire is gone .. albeit the frame is the same
5. Decent weight

Cons (or surprises)

1. Battery .. although 540W is fine for me
2. Crankbrothers Synthesis Wheels .. in ALLOY ?? For this price point was expecting carbon.
3. 51 mm offset fork - would have preferred to see a new frame designed to accommodate a 44mm offset (drop a degree off HA). Since "the formula" works, I'll live with it.
4. YT Postman Dropper post (will change)
5. 200mm rotors (easy to swap .. but a 220mm out front would have been nice)

I agree with all of your points, 100%.

range_anxiety

May 3, 2021
San Diego
Put a deposit on a Decoy MX Core 3 in green, to put my place in the line. Got to say a little disappointed in the spec, not as much value as previous years for yt.. I guess that's the new norm. Super disappointed in the battery as well.. hoping in next 3-6 months yt and figures out a larger battery accessory ... In the back of my mind I'm thinking "if the 2022 Bosch motor is 48V / 750Watts I should hear something by November, I will cancel this order and go with a Bosch bike, even its a little bit more "(I can justify the extra expense in my head).

No linkglide either?? WTF.. seems like they are pickin parts from the 2019 bin

Last edited:

Camstyn

Jun 19, 2019
Kamloops BC
They dropped the ball by not offering at least a range extender that fits in the bottle mount bosses.

On the bright side, other than the 8000 motor on my 2019 Pro Race being a little less refined than the new EP8 and having the older 36E fork, it’s a better spec and same frame and I paid $2000 less than the new Core4. I was worried that an all new Decoy would make mine obsolete and hurt resale but those fears are gone.

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
Bad enough they are using the middling EP8 but then to not even give the 625 battery, just a weak effort. They probably did not have to bring anything better since they can sell as many of these as they can produce. Its weird they made a new capra when I imagine this bike would way outsell the capra especially if it were updated. I dont know anyone looking for a pure pedal bike at this point.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Good news for those of us with older Decoys - just do a few upgrades and you are good to go. Good news for those who don't have a Decoy - you can now order one!

For comparisons sake, the Commencal Meta SX Signature has Shimano brakes, comes with a 630 battery, updated color display, Fox Transfer seatpost and costs $1200 less than the Core 4. But the Meta is 4lbs heavier due to the alu frame.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Im ok with the 540w battery. I find i can milk it for 4k ft of vert in mostly trail mode with a half hour of eco. For the alpine stuff in the area i want to do/or get to ill need a full 2 batteries and have to use trail and boost equally. The mythical 700w wouldnt do it and id prefer a lighter bike for that usage.
Ive changed a few things on my 2019 base model but for the most part theyd be changes id do on any bike it seems. Tire preference, control preference(stem length, bar rise and sweep, grips), shimano 4 pots, $60/180mm air shaft and a coil rear and -1 degree works components headset. Rear coil was the price hit for me. Deore cranks are too soft though.
Decoy has been a great all arounder, tight trsils or wide open at the park. Lower line dt swiss h1900 wheels have hdld up admirably, postman dropper has some slop but keeps working, yari works really well for the price, slx drivetrain is no fuss. Just put all new pivot axles and bearings in. No slop but i figure after a million vert ft i could call that preventative maintenance.The bike is still a great choice especially with an ep8. Looks like i should have a market to sell it next year or the year after or just keep it. Its still fun everywhere

HOMIE5000

Feb 23, 2020
Australia
Core 4 is the pro race with no price increase , win .
Might be a good time to get a deal on the previous elite or pro race if any are in stock.
The 540 battery should give more range with the more efficient EP8 motor , lighter package . 10-20% ?.

I love my pro race , the 540 is plenty for me.

parityclaws

May 22, 2021
Brisbane, Australia
What are people's thoughts of the core 4 vs the elite. The elite is currently in stock where I am, however the price is not any lower. The main differences seem to be the motor (ep8 on core 4 and e8000 on elite), the wheels (alloy on core 4 and carbon on elite) and dropper (postman on core 4 and fox on elite). So with price being equal what is the better purchase, is there really one?

Stuckthrottle

Jan 24, 2021
San Diego
Thanks I didn't realise that, there is a place locally that sell ep8 upgrade kits, I just assumed it was possible.
I misspoke and you are correct about the ep8 upgrade kits. Not sure if the cost would be worth it though, plus the availability thing. At any rate, i still would choose the model option with the ep8 and then upgrade components as they wear.

parityclaws

May 22, 2021
Brisbane, Australia
I misspoke and you are correct about the ep8 upgrade kits. Not sure if the cost would be worth it though, plus the availability thing. At any rate, i still would choose the model option with the ep8 and then upgrade components as they wear.

Thanks, very good point regarding price and only upgrade things when needed. I have put the question back to the bike store about pricing, still might be worth it with a discount but at the same price you're right, may as well go for the new platform.

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
Im ok with the 540w battery. I find i can milk it for 4k ft of vert in mostly trail mode with a half hour of eco. For the alpine stuff in the area i want to do/or get to ill need a full 2 batteries and have to use trail and boost equally. The mythical 700w wouldnt do it and id prefer a lighter bike for that usage.
Ive changed a few things on my 2019 base model but for the most part theyd be changes id do on any bike it seems. Tire preference, control preference(stem length, bar rise and sweep, grips), shimano 4 pots, $60/180mm air shaft and a coil rear and -1 degree works components headset. Rear coil was the price hit for me. Deore cranks are too soft though.
Decoy has been a great all arounder, tight trsils or wide open at the park. Lower line dt swiss h1900 wheels have hdld up admirably, postman dropper has some slop but keeps working, yari works really well for the price, slx drivetrain is no fuss. Just put all new pivot axles and bearings in. No slop but i figure after a million vert ft i could call that preventative maintenance.The bike is still a great choice especially with an ep8. Looks like i should have a market to sell it next year or the year after or just keep it. Its still fun everywhere

You are still on Yari? Easiest upgrade to charger damper ever and gives you big boost in performance.
My Decoy Base 2019 still running strong. Changed almost everything besides drivetrain and wheels, though.
What Works headset are you using? Considering making this move as well to offset the low BB with smaller tires. -1.5 in high position and 170 mm fork with 2.5-2.6 tires should give nice HA and BB height, no?

Last edited:

HOMIE5000

Feb 23, 2020
Australia
Thanks, very good point regarding price and only upgrade things when needed. I have put the question back to the bike store about pricing, still might be worth it with a discount but at the same price you're right, may as well go for the new platform.
The new motor is by all reports more efficient, lighter and should offer slightly better range. The new decoy in theory will be able to be built up lighter than the previous gen if you decide to spec it up ,,,,[ I don't find the weight to be an issue , but weight effects range ]
But,,, If you could manage a reasonable discount on the previous Decoy ultimate and with the savings purchase a spare battery , better tires , bigger rotors, and have some cash to burn on spare parts for the prices of the new decoy that could be the better option .
Can you j put a deposit down to secure a new decoy ? If so under what circumstances could it be refundable [ like unreasonable delivery time ] if an ultimate went on sale.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
When ordering a YT from Germany you pay in full upfront. (obviously you can offset that with your credit card or personal finance)
Then you have "right of withdrawal" until 14 days after recieving the bike. Which involves the buyer filling in forms and arranging return shipping at their cost.

Weeding out tyre kickers with German efficiency :sneaky:

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
Looks like they downgraded the Decoy29 version from the DPX2 to DPS on the shock. No piggyback reservoir to show off anymore.:cool:
Wonder why? Other than the obvious cost-savings, I assume the new Float X must be too hard to source right now and DPX2 may be out of production, not sure. They can claim a lighter bike weight on the more trail-oriented 29 with DPS.

HOMIE5000

Feb 23, 2020
Australia
When ordering a YT from Germany you pay in full upfront. (obviously you can offset that with your credit card or personal finance)
Then you have "right of withdrawal" until 14 days after recieving the bike. Which involves the buyer filling in forms and arranging return shipping at their cost.

Thats nuts. Buyers remorse must play havoc with company inventory.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
You are still on Yari? Easiest upgrade to charger damper ever and gives you big boost in performance.
My Decoy Base 2019 still running strong. Changed almost everything besides drivetrain and wheels, though.
What Works headset are you using? Considering making this move as well to offset the low BB with smaller tires. -1.5 in high position and 170 mm fork with 2.5-2.6 tires should give nice HA and BB height, no?
Ya i should get that damper. Im just torn between getting a new fork(zeb, boxxer, or 49) or swapping my 38 from my enduro bike. Yari works well now with the 180mm debonair air shaft. Might even add a luftkappe before a damper
I have a -1 works components headset. 2.4r/2.6f tire. Withe the 180 airshaft im having no problems with it in the low setting. I would prefer a -1.5 headset but im adding one offset bushing so the bb will be a touch lower still. Added 160mm merida cranks too. Bb and pedals are still higher than on my commencal meta am29 but the eeb does get pedalled through more chunky stuff, being the nature of an emtb. Its close in hieght but i still prefer the commie bb height. The offset bushing will give the bars a nice touch of heoght relative to the pedals/bb too and also bring that closer to where my commie is. Yt cut the steerers too short, probably because the headtubes are short. 100mm ht on the yt and 120 on the commie. Head angles are now the same at about 63.5 and bb height and bar height should be the same soon

Stuckthrottle

Jan 24, 2021
San Diego

per the USA YT website:

"You pay 10% of the purchase price immediately by credit card or PayPal - the remainder is due 4 weeks before the availability date which can be found in the order confirmation. Pre-ordering is limited to one bike per order on selected bikes. Please place a new order or remove any other items from the shopping cart. "
and
"You can cancel at any time and receive a full refund of your deposit. Your bike will then be made available for sale again. "

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles