New riders-how do you convince yourself to buy an e bike?

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
If the climb lacks challenge - drop the amount of assist. Eco still requires a lot of prior planning.
Or leave a log across the start of the worst section. This seems to be more my style . I like boost.

Edit to clarify, as I was boarding a plane, lol while posting, much to the displeasure of the bird.

I wouldn't cut down a tree and leave it across a public trail. GOD NO! But I do use fallen trees to make my trails technical at spots. I like technical trails as a challenge rather than the suffering.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Or leave a log across the start of the worst section. This seems to be more my style . I like boost.

Edit to clarify, as I was boarding a plane, lol while posting, much to the displeasure of the bird.

I wouldn't cut down a tree and leave it across a public trail. GOD NO! But I do use fallen trees to make my trails technical at spots. I like technical trails as a challenge rather than the suffering.
So you are the bloke that leaves logs across my favourite fast moving bit of single-track, cunningly just around the tight bend!

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Turned 50 in march never ridden a EMTB always said I wouldn't stoop so low ?? arthritis in my ankle , my left leg is like a bionic one after years of breaking bones racing MX ?
Started really struggling on the climbs so I sold my Santa Cruz Hightower V2 and bought the Orbea ?
Im wanting to go exploring maybe do some Munro's when this lockdown madness ends ,
I'm still pretty fit and I'm absolutely loving the transition to the ebike, I don't wish I'd done it years ago I think this year has been the perfect time to get one , done over 200 miles and loving it more and more every ride ?

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
The trouble is ...once you have bought one EMTB........even though you like it.....you will want another.............and so it goes on ...LOVELY :giggle:

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
You guys need to talk yourselves INTO and eBike? Jayzzusss! I found out Jag is going all electric in 2025 and now I'm trying to talk myself OUT of an F type R before they're gone forever... :)

Life is short. Live it now. There might not be a tomorrow.

Gordon

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
You guys need to talk yourselves INTO and eBike? Jayzzusss! I found out Jag is going all electric in 2025 and now I'm trying to talk myself OUT of an F type R before they're gone forever... :)

Life is short. Live it now. There might not be a tomorrow.

Gordon
BUY IT if you dont do it now you will be too old.........BUT I doubt if the world will go electric as fast as they want as there is insufficient battery material in the world .....the ICE will last a bit longer .I hope.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
I was sold on ebikes for years before they came out after the first eMX concepts were popping up (I think some kind of military version).

When I first saw a Haibike with some guy from california reviewing it I was blown away. I wasn't riding at the time and broke from a house extension but I kept tabs on it I saw how much the tech was jumping every year and since I wasn't in a rush I content just watching.

Then the E sommet came out and I really wanted one but it was sold out and the following year version didn't do it for me. Then the ezesty i was pretty sure I was going to get but the reviews for the fazua motor engagement put me off.

At this point I was riding again and seeing more people on emtb's whizzing up the hills they probably thought me a man person as a grinned like a loon as they past me. At that point I was 100% resolved to get a emtb and set about convincing my (unfit) riding buddy that he'd get fitter with one vs taking 1 or 2months to recover riding his bike.

I decided to get a decathlon stylis (just as everyone else wanted one) and they never came back in stock. I'm now pre-ordered a Marin E2 driving myself nuts waiting for it to arrive.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I was sold on ebikes for years before they came out after the first eMX concepts were popping up (I think some kind of military version).

When I first saw a Haibike with some guy from california reviewing it I was blown away. I wasn't riding at the time and broke from a house extension but I kept tabs on it I saw how much the tech was jumping every year and since I wasn't in a rush I content just watching.

Then the E sommet came out and I really wanted one but it was sold out and the following year version didn't do it for me. Then the ezesty i was pretty sure I was going to get but the reviews for the fazua motor engagement put me off.

At this point I was riding again and seeing more people on emtb's whizzing up the hills they probably thought me a man person as a grinned like a loon as they past me. At that point I was 100% resolved to get a emtb and set about convincing my (unfit) riding buddy that he'd get fitter with one vs taking 1 or 2months to recover riding his bike.

I decided to get a decathlon stylis (just as everyone else wanted one) and they never came back in stock. I'm now pre-ordered a Marin E2 driving myself nuts waiting for it to arrive.

I cured my eZesty's engagement delay by putting on a super fast engagement rear hub. Now it feels like my other eBikes, although it sounds like I'm being chased by a swarm of angry bees!. :)

Congrats on the Marin. Looks like a brilliant bike and I'm sure you'll get many wide grins from it.

Gordon

LeftItLancs

Apr 12, 2021
North UK
I am not an MTBer and didn't know anything about eBikes. I was looking for a solution to give my AB a good run out after a serious illness and when I couldn't physically walk longer distances. I came across a seller on eBay converting cheapish Halford Voodoo Hoodoo's with a Bafang and I just bit the bullet and bought one. Loved it, got my mobility back, and added a dog attachment for the pooch who also loved it, and a thumb throttle meant I could get my breath back as and when.

I recently (last year) graduated to a Cube Reaction Pro 625 for the same reasons and after some research for a cheap (ish) reliable runner and a 'real' eBike. The engine is fantastic compared to the Bafang, the difference between night and day and to date I have not found a hill I can't tackle. I go out every other day with the pooch, just locally offroad and she has maintained a good weight is far happier and I have lost a few pounds as well.

Chaser

Dec 22, 2020
The North (UK)
Well just to update the thread, I took too long waiting on the Whyte E150s from the LBS. I always said I would only buy local.

Wiggle sent me a stock alert that the Vitus E Sommet VRS is back in. It's the same weight as the e150 but it's 170mm and a bit slacker. Not sure if that matters as much on an eMTB as much as it would on a normal bike? Vitus seem to get a decent review generally and the Shimano dealer is the same dealer I'd have bought the Whyte from. I think CRC just send the cost of repair if it requires any work

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Received this yesterday ... no longer who to attribute it to. Apologies if well known:-
68C851D0-9754-4F34-8F08-2A6D03F2457F.jpeg

jk-

Jan 26, 2020
Around
Life it to short to ask all these questions. If funds allow go for it. Bought a Decoy last year without really test riding any other emtb's. Just knew it was the one I wanted.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles