Dutch e-bike riders first to get new GPS security system

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Scrotes. They are everywhere and too many of them have an eye on your bike. Paranoid much? Yes, but EMTBs cost a small fortune and let’s face it, locked to the rails outside Tesco Express, they are a shiny shiny target for the light-fingered that skulk among us. But help may be at hand, at least if you are Dutch.
G4S (yes that G4S) has teamed up with Conneqtech and AXA Bike Security to develop a track and trace solution, AXA-IN, which is designed to deter thieves and deliver a precise location should they stupidly go ahead and steal your EMTB anyway. Of course, GPS trackers for bikes are nothing new, but AXA-IN is the first to really make use of the electronics in an e-bike to improve on the status quo.
The system is currently only available in The Netherlands on e-bikes made by Dutch manufacturer Sparta (not EMTBs, really doesn’t need a link). It requires a device to be hardwired into the electronics, which sends out a GPS signal of its location if it is reported stolen. As soon...

Continue reading...

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Sounds a useful system, thanks :) Would be interesting to know if it has its own internal battery (which maybe charges off the main e-bike battery?) or if it depends on having the main e-bike battery connected in order for it to work.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
I would prefer to also have electronics tapped into the brakes, so that if pinched the thief would need to carry it away because the brakes would lock the wheels.

I've used padlocks in the past as a easy to carry quick lock system, on the rear disc, or locking the chain to the chainring. Good for popping in to pick up a coffee if your bike is in sight. FWIW

It seems like the most obvious thing in the world to have the onboard electronics function as a security system. For tracking and you could disable it remotely with your phone.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
My ebike is locked outside the office with two gold-rated d-locks, but I still worry about it.

I do not see much value in GPS as a tracker - I don't want to got chasing down crims asking for my bike back. But I like the idea of locking the bike down to a defined location using GPS - very clever.

That said, GPS seems like overkill for an electronic solution. I look forward to a key (bluetooth?) operated electronic transmission like SRAM AXS - No authentication, no shifting and - great idea StuckintheSpokes - maybe lock-down the brakes too.

You still can't beat a thief with an angle grinder and a van, but electronic security can make the bike less useful when stolen.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
I got couple of these from amazon, motion activated battery lasts a few days or more. I have it Velcro in the frame under the battery in downtube.
This way of people get lost on demo rides i can find them.
And if someone pinches my bike i have a better then average chance of finding it.

78A3A6CA-DAD9-482E-AF6B-3DAD2672ED20.png

Rich_F21316

Oct 6, 2018
DORSET, United Kingdom
I've been looking for a good solution for some time and this is the best I've found so far. it has its own long-lasting battery. they tell me a shimano version coming later this year. yamaha and bosh now available https://www.fullycharged.com/pow-unity-gps-tracker-2018

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
No matter what solution is introduced it will be overridden just like car thieves using relays to trick the electronics, until insurance companies get onboard and realise the true value of e-Bikes, and the compensation they have to pay out for a stolen one, then manufacturers simply don't care, if insurance companies made it compulsory for an insured e-Bike to have a tracker then the manufacturers would have to sit up and listen or lose market share to those that value their customers.

jdp555

Jun 5, 2020
California
I got couple of these from amazon, motion activated battery lasts a few days or more. I have it Velcro in the frame under the battery in downtube.
This way of people get lost on demo rides i can find them.
And if someone pinches my bike i have a better then average chance of finding it.

View attachment 11397
$25/month subscription? Sure would be nice if you could just put in your own SIM and have it call home at your own control.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles