Bike security

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Try an alarm mine, it uses blank shotgun cartridges to scare the bejasus out of intruders. Yiu can use a trip wire or attach the cord to a door handle.

Google "Alarm Mine" to buy one
Watch the video here on how to use one.

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
Kryptonite New York Noose (inc lock) + Kryptonite ground anchor. This is rated "Gold" for insurance purposes. The "noose" bit is very important. If I hadn't been able to thread it through itself, like you see in the pic, the chain would have been too short.
View attachment 25934
This was installed in my garage. The ground anchor needs three 5/8" holes to be drilled. Three different hammer drills (1/2" chucks) would not do the job, the drill bits kept spinning in the chucks. I had to hunt around to borrow an SDS hammer drill. These SDS electric hand drills have a more direct drive of the SDS drill bit and don't slip, like ordinary round bits did in the three jaw chucks. They are also more likely to produce a 5/8" hole that is actually parallel! The importance of that will be revealed when you try to fit the steel Rawlbolts into the holes!!

By the way, if one of the Rawlbolts dismantles itself while in the hole before you try to screw a bolt into it, all is not lost! You can get it out, it just takes patience. You need a length of wire with a small right angle hook bent onto the end of it. I used an old gear cable. Reassembling the Rawlbolt takes more patience, it took me about ten mins to do the first one and just a few mins to do the others. Yes you read that right, others! :eek:

If that chain is anything like the Kryptonite Forgetaboutit, it can be bolt cropped in less than 30 seconds .

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If that chain is anything like the Kryptonite Forgetaboutit, it can be bolt cropped in less than 30 seconds .
I have no idea if it is or not. I saw a video of two guys trying to bolt crop a Kryptonite New York Noose. They were big guys and had a pair of brand new four-foot long bolt croppers. They failed, even when they were standing on the cropper handles. They succeeded only when they used a pair of older croppers that crucially had notches in the blades (from long use, not design). the notches stopped the hexagonal cross section links from being spat out by the straight blades.

It was informative that the chain had to be laid on the ground, so that one of the cropper handles could be stood on, the other being on the floor. So keep the chain off the ground and don't make it easy for them!

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
Brilliant! :)

At the time, I wished I'd had an SDS drill. I managed to restrain myself from going out and buying one (ouch £££££)

But now I'd have opted for resin fixed bolts! :)

If you are not going to be using it professionally i.e. 24/7 screwfix do one for around 50 quid, and its like drilling butter. well worth the expense if you will use it more than once :ROFLMAO:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The Pragmasis heavy duty chains are the best out there, not cheap but if you can afford one of their big diameter ones with their ground anchors then thats the way to go

Jul 14, 2019
bexhill on sea
Argos are doing a v- multi pet tracker for £22.50 including 6 months subscription and 2 month after that it is fairly small, battery only last 3 days though only GSM tracking WiFi and Bluetooth again has geofence but also has speed facility movement sends a message tracks its where abouts but not exact location until you get Bluetooth message proximity

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
I have no idea if it is or not. I saw a video of two guys trying to bolt crop a Kryptonite New York Noose. They were big guys and had a pair of brand new four-foot long bolt croppers. They failed, even when they were standing on the cropper handles. They succeeded only when they used a pair of older croppers that crucially had notches in the blades (from long use, not design). the notches stopped the hexagonal cross section links from being spat out by the straight blades.

It was informative that the chain had to be laid on the ground, so that one of the cropper handles could be stood on, the other being on the floor. So keep the chain off the ground and don't make it easy for them!

You're right to say keep the chain off the floor if possible. I pick locks as a hobby & so security is of an interest to me.
I look at many reviews of different locks & chains. If money was no object, I'd purchase many more of the expensive locks to pick & chains to cut.
You did right though in doing some research about which product to purchase. Many people just buy anything if it looks the part.
If you get a chance, check out Almax chains. You won't find a better chain for the money.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles