New Pinion integrated gearbox and motor (MGU)

Dec 18, 2019
UK
Are you going to order direct from Nicolai @Rob Rides EMTB ?
Would be interested to know how much shipping and import fees come to.
Nicolai had a meeting with Paul at Geometron last week about the possibility of them importing the bikes. As far as mailing from Germany goes, take 19% VAT off the listed price, add around £90 for delivery an d then add 6% import duty and 20% VAT and you'll be about right.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
It will be interesting to see what the frame only works out as, but I have a hard time believing it will be competitive with other bikes.

Hoping some affordable competition turns up as Rob loosely alluded to in the podcast.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Well, regarding the Nicolai Saturn 16 Pinion MGU, won’t be available in the US at least until the end of the year. I had emailed them with some questions and they were quick to respond, but they also asked where I lived and when I said So Cal USA, they said this,

“Thank you for your interest in our Saturn 16 MGU. :)

The market in your country is very important to us, and we are committed to providing the best products and services to our international customers.

Unfortunately, we must inform you that we (Pinion and FIT) currently do not have the necessary certification for the batteries in your country, which makes the sale of the Saturn 16 MGU not possible at this time.
Please rest assured that we are working closely with Fit and Pinion to develop a solution and obtain the required certifications to enable sales in your country as soon as possible. We will inform you immediately once we have received the necessary approvals. This is planned to be solved in the fourth quarter of 2024.“

It’s kind of ok for me though, since it’ll probably take me that long to convince the wife that I need it.

Reno

Jun 4, 2024
Switzerland
Would be interested to gather some thoughts for a custom build for the Nicolai Saturn 16 MGU that I am contemplating for later this year

I am not decided yet for the shock, coil or air? Haven't tested the bike and not sure which one works best for this type of suspension. Rob mentioned few times that the Float X2 was the best for his Kenevo and so I've been told for the Levo

I like the Magura MT7 but the bleeding and pads replacement can be more time-consuming and expensive than the TRP DH-R Evo which does offer the same rotors set up 223mm & 203mm

Any specific wheel sets for the single-speed sprocket? Is the DT Swiss HX 1700 Spline is still the optimum choice despite the rear hub made for regular cassettes? And I don't see the value in getting the carbon set HXC for so much more $$$ and saving a few grams on a 25kg+ bike

Seat post Reverb for the hassle free no cable

Happy with the OEM continental tyres but to set up in tubeless

I am open to ideas and suggestions

@Rob Rides EMTB I am sure you already thought of the list of components for this build. I am also sold on the relevance and game changer the MGU offers for eMTB

tooFATtoRIDE

Sep 18, 2023
North by Northwest
So I will be installing the following
- Intend Edge with Travelizer Air Spring
- Intend Trinity
- AXS seatpost
- AERtime pedals
- Brakestuff Puchdisk brake rotors (special edition)
View attachment 141610
I'll think about the rest later when I've ridden the bike on my trails :cool::love:
Interesting build spec.
I would go for Intend Flash and a coil shock instead but that's me, a relatively heavyweight person.

I also wanted to ask: what are the advantages of the Brakestuff Punchdisk brake rotors versus Hope Vented rotors (for those running Hope Tech V4 brakes).

Gandalf

Dec 16, 2020
Germany
Sorry, the forum is in German. The user Tirolbiker63 has made detailed tests.
I have been riding the Brakestuff Punchdisk for years

tooFATtoRIDE

Sep 18, 2023
North by Northwest
Sorry, the forum is in German. The user Tirolbiker63 has made detailed tests.
I have been riding the Brakestuff Punchdisk for years
Thank you for the link. It is a fantastic source of information. Uncle Google helped too.

Merci vielmal as we say it in Switzerland.

Reno

Jun 4, 2024
Switzerland
So I will be installing the following
- Intend Edge with Travelizer Air Spring
- Intend Trinity
- AXS seatpost
- AERtime pedals
- Brakestuff Puchdisk brake rotors (special edition)
View attachment 141610
I'll think about the rest later when I've ridden the bike on my trails :cool::love:
Great stuff @Gandalf nice edition these rotors ;)

I didn't know Intend before, although I've heard about Rulezman but didn't dig further. I am a bit old school and the USD forks for me remain the Dorado and Shiver. Glad to see there is a new manufacturer producing them with new tech and lower weight than a Fox 38.

One question on this, can we fit a 223mm rotor on the Edge or Flash?

One (but silly question), when I see how the lower legs of my forks are battered once in a while, I am wondering if the same would happen on a USD fork or if extra care/consideration is needed with these forks

I really like them, and the fact you can service them yourself easily and contact the guys at Intend if needed is a big plus.

Agree on the AXS seatpost

The brake look top notch but how expensive!

Reno

Jun 4, 2024
Switzerland
Interesting build spec.
I would go for Intend Flash and a coil shock instead but that's me, a relatively heavyweight person.

I also wanted to ask: what are the advantages of the Brakestuff Punchdisk brake rotors versus Hope Vented rotors (for those running Hope Tech V4 brakes).

Agreed - I would go for the Flash too, the bike with the 960Wh battery is big beast. It also seems that the Travelizer Air Spring is included by default in the Flash vs the Edge

Gandalf

Dec 16, 2020
Germany
One question on this, can we fit a 223mm rotor on the Edge or Flash?
Yes, I already had, but adapters are required

One (but silly question), when I see how the lower legs of my forks are battered once in a while, I am wondering if the same would happen on a USD fork or if extra care/consideration is needed with these forks
I have never had a problem with the USD fork
There's also a Black Edition with pads, but they're hard to come by

The brake look top notch but how expensive!
approximately 1000€

Reno

Jun 4, 2024
Switzerland
Agreed - I would go for the Flash too, the bike with the 960Wh battery is big beast. It also seems that the Travelizer Air Spring is included by default in the Flash vs the Edge
Yes, "The Travelizer is installed in all new forks starting from April 2024. If you have an older fork and want to upgrade, you’ve come to the right place."

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
I think Nicolai is very much tuned to the market. Therefore, in comparison to 160mm market, there would be much less of the potential client base for the 190mm and up ebike, similar to the Pole setup.

Yes, some people would love to have one, myself including. It is all about what sells. Nothing more. Nothing less.

And since we speak about what we dream about, I would also want to have the 800W 45km/h MGU version available, purely for shits and giggles of it.
I'm with you. Definitely want 200mm both ends. Paul Aston has done a recent video and apparently the problem is the belt tensioner cannot move that far. Hopefully someone will crack this pretty soon.

tooFATtoRIDE

Sep 18, 2023
North by Northwest
Saw pt 1&2 and Robs review and podcast on it. I really want it, but I also want more travel and the ability to derestrict it too.
More travel is a tough one with this one. Paul Aston mentioned issues when one wants to increase the wheel travel (belt tensioner, belt location, etc).

Derestricting is a different issue. Sooner or later someone will come up with a solution, the same Bosch engines are catered for.

Btw, there are no mechanical and dimensional changes between the 25km/h (600W) and 45km/h (800W) versions. It is purely software. As far as I know, Nicolai would not allow Pinion to derestrict it.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
More travel is a tough one with this one. Paul Aston mentioned issues when one wants to increase the wheel travel (belt tensioner, belt location, etc).

Derestricting is a different issue. Sooner or later someone will come up with a solution, the same Bosch engines are catered for.

Btw, there are no mechanical and dimensional changes between the 25km/h (600W) and 45km/h (800W) versions. It is purely software. As far as I know, Nicolai would not allow Pinion to derestrict it.
Yeah, I’m sure no manufacturer would be ok with it. But a software fix would be great. I think the belt tensioner could be easily made longer to take up the extra slack of having longer travel too. I’d also prefer the 9 speed version of the Pinion motor rather than the 12 speed. The 9 speed is lighter and the range should still be fine for the full power motor to handle.

Last edited:

tooFATtoRIDE

Sep 18, 2023
North by Northwest
Yeah, I’m sure no manufacturer would be ok with it. But a software fix would be great. I’d also prefer the 9 speed version of the Pinion motor rather than the 12 speed. The 9 speed is lighter and the range should still be fine for the full power motor to handle.
At the moment this is just a moot discussion for me, fortunately :D
With bike budget blown on Voima, Nicolai MGU is just a toy I could watch through a window glass. Good fun but could be better.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles