New Pinion integrated gearbox and motor (MGU)

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
They could have mounted the final drive separately and higher so potentially you could do away with the tensioner, though I guess someone could run the drive upto a second pulley - depending on the suspension setup.
I agree - the belt tensioner needs to be far better resolved for eMTB's.

mtbant

Oct 30, 2021
uk
I've been riding a pinion gearbox mtb for over 5 years and it's brilliant. Really hope that these gain traction with more brands.
Can't wait to try one, if you can get one in the UK that is!

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Looks like a game changer. It´s the 1st generation , I supose with room to improve. Sram, Shimano shoulf be worry :unsure:
Let´s see prices, more models , brands, etc ...

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Finally, innovation that is functional and has mechanical integrity......and one that promises tangible benefits as opposed to simple aesthetics. I look forward to a test ride review. I could see no negatives in that design although obviously it remains to be proven to be as robust as the guy claims.

One thing you did not cover Rob was the likely price point for a fully fledged EMTB incorporating the Pinion system..............but based on the information so far in that video I am certainly interested.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
It does sound quite noisy in the lower gears, but the tradeoff is better power efficiency, apparently.
I definitely think it's a step in the right direction. I don't know if I'm likely to buy a first gen tho. I'd like to see if it lives up to the longevity claims first. A simple oil change once a year or every 10000 miles sounds fantastic.
Looking at the brands of bikes it seems unlikely I'd see one in a local shop anyway :(

Has anyone seen any mention of water proofing or dust/water ratings?

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
No major motor manufacturer will want to be first, this should flush them out. The first of many I'll bet. :cool:

Edit: "motor" manufacturer.

Last edited:

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I'm amazed that it's taken so long for somebody to do this. Gearboxes make total sense on an ebike that already has all that mass in the middle of the bike anyway. I reckon that they'll be pretty much universal in five years time (as I said on the YouTube video comments).

Biano44

Oct 7, 2020
Charnwood
I wonder what the drag is like on a system like this and/or the energy efficiency?
I see one of the bikes with it fitted has well over 900Wh battery.

Should finally move the game on though.

Feb 6, 2023
Uk
Bye bye derailleurs, cassettes, chains, cables, shifters, lubricants, fiddling with barrel adjusters and stop screws and frayed cables and grass and weeds and sticks getting caught and smashing Derailleurs off and chain rattle and chain guides and clacking cracking changes and cleaning bits out of cogs and spraying lube on your disc and hello too….

Snapping belts and warranty exchange units and how much goes wrong with just a motor giving double the agro with a gear box as well.

Hmmm where’s the fun in that 😄

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
No major manufacturer will want to be first, this should flush them out. The first of many I'll bet. :cool:
It is an interesting question with the major brands probably already committed to contracts with Bosch or Shimano or Yamaha etc................and of course Specialized with their relationship with Brose. I suspect the niche brands will be the first to adopt Pinion plus manufacturers of cargo and city bikes. So it would seem from the video Bulls are signed on........who else??

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
probably adds more expense and more failure to the most expensive part of the bike.

I'm not convinced the backwheel really feels lighter either, that sounds like snake oil and seemed to be the thing he was most incistent on getting across more than anything else for some reason.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
probably adds more expense and more failure to the most expensive part of the bike.

I'm not convinced the backwheel really feels lighter either, that sounds like snake oil and seemed to be the thing he was most incistent on getting across more than anything else for some reason.
Others may disagree with you.

F80AA1F2-09D1-4F9F-9984-0A0611F30F88.jpeg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth

It is bound to be lighter with no mech and no cassette..just one sprocket...but I agree I dont see that as a big deal. More relevant is that is negates the need for what can be pretty expensive mechs and cassettes on the higher end bikes. The mech is always vulnerable and the cassette always subject to high wear. I mentioned cost as a factor missing from the video but at the end of the day my Fox 38 forks are more expensive than a new motor especially if discounted by a brand so it is all relative. Maintenance costs/time cleaning and lubing the cassette and chain are also reduced.

By far the biggest opportunity here however, is to get rid of the chain /derailleur/ cassette abomination that is such old technology that it belongs in a museum!!

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
Do we really need to speak about the effects of unsprung weight vs sprung weight? It's one of the big factors in how reactive a suspension system is. Taking that weight off the back wheel means that the suspension can effectively be more supple and effective (just ask McTrailrider or anyone else who has spent time on a gearbox bike).
It's not just a thing on bikes, it's a bit of a holy grail topic for automotive and motorcycle designers as well, Google it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles