Gearbox motors on an Ebike

V86

Jul 13, 2018
Norway
Some time ago I drew up a concept for a gearbox and motor kit
(Mainly inspired by pinion , kranked/Ego and paradox kinetics)
B102985A-6398-4753-A3DC-DB4CA3859F28.jpeg

What are your thoughts? (And yes I know I forgot the belt tensioner(?) ) Will this become a thing? If not as a kit, but rather build into the bike?
I know there is a bike that was at Eurobike, but that thing was way to heavy and overpowered for legal Emtb.
I would however like to see a legal 250W bike , maby with the same motor system that is in the new Lappiere eZesty and a pinion gearbox?
Nicolai Eboxxx E14 is the one that comes closest, but that gearbox ads more unsprung weight unlike the pinion.
Pinion had an emotor version of their gearbox, but it never made it to the marked.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its a nice concept, and i think will be reality within the next couple of years - the Mubea bike you where talking about at Eurobike was actually made by the motor manufacturer as a concept to demonstrate the motor/gearbox combo, and show how it could be used for a peddle and throttle powered bike. I think the gearbox/motor combo weighed 5kg which is pretty impressive.

Mubea are primarily an automotive parts supplier - but to give you some idea they make the carbon monoquoqes for McLaren, and for Porsche in the 918 Spider, so not exactly lacking in expertise, along with a lot of engine parts for those companies and others

Continental have also launched a new motor, which they have worked on with Nuvinci, and has a combined gearbox/motor, and uses a gates drive.

Continental Bicycle Systems - 48V Revolution

It is in effect an automatic gearbox with manual override.

aHR0cHM6Ly9mc3RhdGljMS5lbXRiLW5ld3MuZGUvdjMvMC8xMy8xMzIwOC02MXg4dno1aWx3MDItbXViZWFlX2Jpa2VzMj...jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles