New Motor Failed

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
Had my new E8000 motor fitted. I fully charged the battery for my first commute. The system wouldn't turn on, totally dead.
It was fine before charging.
The bike's currently back at the shop 🤔
Any ideas?

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
the shimano e8000 motor is, after all, one of the oldest emtb motors so it is quite unupdated and the technology has progressed quite a lot on motors since then.

some tips regarding your problem is to clean the connector where you plug in the battery and check that the battery is firmly attached. I would also check when you have a new engine that all the cables are in place properly

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
Hard to believe that technology changes so much in electric motors that have been in use for week over a hundred years.

Maybe better protection against elements.

But efficiency, power, no.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Had my new E8000 motor fitted. I fully charged the battery for my first commute. The system wouldn't turn on, totally dead.
It was fine before charging.
The bike's currently back at the shop 🤔
Any ideas?
I'd check all the connections (as mentioned). Some of the shimano ones sort of click in and aren't always seated correctly and the ones on the battery mount might not have been re-connected correctly also.

Is there a remote power on button, check this for charge too if you have one, there's some threads somewhere on it.

Some of the batteries have a remote start button you can poke through a hole in the frame and get the bike to power on that way.

I guess if it's at the shop already though, there's not much you can do.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Hard to believe that technology changes so much in electric motors that have been in use for week over a hundred years.

Maybe better protection against elements.

But efficiency, power, no.
Our little brains haven’t developed a method to eliminate friction and stop elements from interfering. Maybe next century. 🤷‍♂️

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
The dreaded electrical issues, as most riders here have told you check all of the connection, clean and re-seat all connections. Use this to clean connections "CRC Electronic Cleaner, Quick Dry for Sensitive Electronics"

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles