New Lightweight Raymon using Yamaha PW-X

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Interesting in concept and what it demonstrates can be done with the Yamaha sytem - I don’t think the bike itself quite hits the mark.

The bike uses the older X2 motor so clearly a lot of potential with the new X3 which is both lighter and more powerful.

really like the look of the new Yamaha and the options around it, hopefully see some more bikes with it.

6DF2EB27-9D28-486E-B463-981E0B69ACAD.jpeg

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So the good :

Lightweight at 19.44 kg's with 410wh battery and 150 travel. (de-tuned Rise Style to 50nm)
Nice mode selector.

The bad :

Uses the older larger and heavier motor which just seems entirely counter intuitive for this bike.
Crap grips.
Display you'd expect to find on a €100 supermarket bike, not a €7500 bike.
Awful tyres.
Under spec'd brakes for steeper terrain.
Only space for a 450ml fidlock bottle.
125mm dropper on size M.
Long chainstays due to pwx-2 limitations.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I like the look of the new Yamaha

Same power as the Bosch with same battery options, and historically the PW-X had a lot of grunt in terms of how it felt to ride, just not quite the level of sophistication IMO as other motors.

range always been good for the given battery size too, and the new controllers are nice and minimal, plus crucially can connect to Garmin etc.

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
I would not call using older Yamaha motor is bad. Yamaha PW-X and PW-X2 proven they are the most reliable motors on the market at the monent. Yamaha PW-X3 needs time to prove it. You do not want to release premium bicycle on the market with something less than the most reliable motor otherwise your business can turn to nightmare.

I think this is great chance for Raymon to have success. The only other carbon fiber frame bicycle with Yamaha motor is Haibike and those have big problems with carbon fiber frames, if Raymon can deliver better quality carbon fiber frame this is going to be the best carbon fiber frame with the most reliable motor combo on the market.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles