Kenevo Gen1 New Kenevo too long for me.

coderdan

Mar 8, 2021
Washington
Hey all looking for some advice given the issue I'm facing.

I just bought a 2021 Kenevo and I'm starting to realize it may have been to big of a bike for me. I had been testing bikes all morning which were too probably too small for me (thanks bike shortage) when I came across a S4 Kenevo Comp. Right away the Kenevo felt really good but on second thought it may have just been the turbo/motor making it feel nice and nimble. Now on 1/hr rides I'm feeling REALLY stretched while on the saddle in a uphill position and end up with upper back pain.

I'm 5'11 230~lbs which makes me think I should be able to make a S4 feel good but when I'm on the bike I just don't see how.

Things I've done / planning to do.
  • Moved the last spacer under them pushing it up.
  • Pushed the seat all the way forward(This was after I had upper back pain so its hard to tell if it was enough until I have some rest).
  • Bought a 30mm stem reducing 15mm from the stock 45mm stem(not installed yet, on the way).
  • Considering buying a backsweep 40mm rise handlebar around 760mm compared to the stock 800mm 27mm rise.

With that said I wanted to get some advice on the situation and any thoughts on reducing the reach with new handlebars or how I should go about this. I don't think/know if there's anything specialized can do for me since its ben ridden down trails already and selling it would make me lose a ton of money off the bat so I'm kind of stumped.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Hey all looking for some advice given the issue I'm facing.

I just bought a 2021 Kenevo and I'm starting to realize it may have been to big of a bike for me. I had been testing bikes all morning which were too probably too small for me (thanks bike shortage) when I came across a S4 Kenevo Comp. Right away the Kenevo felt really good but on second thought it may have just been the turbo/motor making it feel nice and nimble. Now on 1/hr rides I'm feeling REALLY stretched while on the saddle in a uphill position and end up with upper back pain.

I'm 5'11 230~lbs which makes me think I should be able to make a S4 feel good but when I'm on the bike I just don't see how.

Things I've done / planning to do.
  • Moved the last spacer under them pushing it up.
  • Pushed the seat all the way forward(This was after I had upper back pain so its hard to tell if it was enough until I have some rest).
  • Bought a 30mm stem reducing 15mm from the stock 45mm stem(not installed yet, on the way).
  • Considering buying a backsweep 40mm rise handlebar around 760mm compared to the stock 800mm 27mm rise.

With that said I wanted to get some advice on the situation and any thoughts on reducing the reach with new handlebars or how I should go about this. I don't think/know if there's anything specialized can do for me since its ben ridden down trails already and selling it would make me lose a ton of money off the bat so I'm kind of stumped.
I got a S3 comp if you wanna swap !

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
You could also roll the bars a bit towards you, but make sure that your hands are not behind the steering axis. Line up the middle of your grips with the center, using a level of some kind.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Are you a genuine 5'11" or do you mean in shoes and rounded up like so many blokes seem to?
At 5'11" and 230lb I'm guessing you'll be carrying a bit of extra waist padding that will reduce your flexibility?
Change that and you should be able to ride it without discomfort also work on your core strength. You can increase it by simply not sitting down so much when you ride. a 1/12hr ride isn't very long.

Last edited:

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
I’m 5’8.5” and went from an S3 Kenevo to an S4. I thought the S3 was too big of a bike until i got used to it. Then I started searching for an S4 which I’m happier with

My brother is 5’10” and the S3 Kenevo was too small for him. He currently rides a Levo in L

coderdan

Mar 8, 2021
Washington
So after recording myself in various positions the bike doesn't seem as big as it feels. Going downhill the bike feels great and I can fully use the long wheelbase even touch the rear wheel if I lean back too far. The only issue I have is arms locking out / reach feeling way too long in the uphill seated position. I think I should fully be able to make this bike work but I'm not sure what the ideal fix would be here to make it more comfortable.

This is what I have on hand + on the way to play around with
  • Truvativ Hussefelt Handlerbar Blast Black, 700, 40mm Rise, 31.8mm (Cheap just for testing)
  • Industry Nine A318, 31.8 x 30mm, 8 Degrees, +- 4.4mm Rise
  • Can pull handlebars off of old bike: Specialized All-Mountain low-rise, 6061 butted alloy, 720mm wide, 8º backsweep, 6º upsweep, 31.8mm
Edited_edit.png

20210308_131320.jpg

Can you take a picture of the bike from side on ?
Added

Are you a genuine 5'11" or do you mean in shoes and rounded up like so many blokes seem to?
At 5'11" and 230lb I'm guessing you'll be carrying a bit of extra waist padding that will reduce your flexibility?
Yeah genuine 5'11" barefoot and spills over closer to 6'.And you're definitely right, after seeing myself on the bike it doesn't look as huge as it feels. I haven't ridden for 10~ years and know I have really tight muscles from overdoing the gym without stretching previously so I'm starting to think that's part of the problem here. My arms still do lockout though and the reach seems to be the problem even though my ape index isn't negative.

I’m 5’8.5” and went from an S3 Kenevo to an S4. I thought the S3 was too big of a bike until i got used to it. Then I started searching for an S4 which I’m happier with

My brother is 5’10” and the S3 Kenevo was too small for him. He currently rides a Levo in L
Thanks, that's good to know

Sep 19, 2020
Squamish, BC, Canada
In both seated positions your posture is bad... extended periods of time in those positions while pedalling and going over small bumps isn’t going to do you any favours. I realize that those are just pictures and might not be your riding posture but still. Try to push your chest out and pull your shoulders down and together.

It’s a cheaper fix than buying new stuff!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah genuine 5'11" barefoot and spills over closer to 6'.And you're definitely right, after seeing myself on the bike it doesn't look as huge as it feels. I haven't ridden for 10~ years and know I have really tight muscles from overdoing the gym without stretching previously so I'm starting to think that's part of the problem here. My arms still do lockout though and the reach seems to be the problem even though my ape index isn't negative.
Yeah.
In the pic of you stood on the bike you're barely bending at the waist and leaning forwards taking all your weight upper body with your arms. That one pic screams poor flexibility to me and also hints towards you not having a very strong core for your body weight.
looking at the seated pics where you also have your arms locked when the saddle is both raised or dropped backs this up.
also if the last pic is with your saddle at full height it looks to be a little low. Too low a saddle does tend to tip your torso /back rearwards and more upright

In the fifth pic you seem to have your hair straighteners and cord tangled up in your brake cables,

By all means try the shorter stem but I wouldn't raise the bars any higher. They already look quite high.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
As I watched the pictures, I agree. No need for a higher bar.

And remember to start stretching. I had a big problem reaching the road bike lower bar position, but this yoga Child's Pose Stretch helped a lot. 30 sec at a time is enough. At the beginning A couple of times a day and when you start to stretch once is enough, easy.
And if you’re excited about other stretching moves, search for Yoga for cycling

Last edited:

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
I bought a new size large bike off eBay for 50% off...reach was too long for me (I’m 5’7” with a 29 inch inseam).

I ended up using the shortest stem (35 mm) I could find at the time, along with Sqlab 30x 16 degree sweep back riser bars to compensate/shorten the reach.

Luckily, I could fully insert the 150 mm dropper so that the seat height fully extended was just right.

I later had a size medium frame built up...l was surprised to find that I preferred the size large with the Sqlab 30X sweep back riser bars better (kept the large and sold the medium).

That said, I doubt I will ever buy another size large mtn bike with too long a reach...I got lucky with this specific bike.

I think the sqlab 30x alloy bars with both 12 and 16 degree sweep back are on Amazon for about $80 if you want to give them a try.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Time to gauge your ears man.
Don't they get larger with age ? I might not have to wait long and they'll look like that naturally ???

Maybe add some face tattoos while you’re at it.
What were you thinking here ? Something like "Cheat" ? Or more bumper sticker "My bike costs more than my car". Maybe you have a design in mind ? like use a moustache as part of a tattoo chain ring ? Or eyes as part of a sideways derailleur ?

coderdan

Mar 8, 2021
Washington
Yeah.
In the pic of you stood on the bike you're barely bending at the waist and leaning forwards taking all your weight upper body with your arms. That one pic screams poor flexibility to me and also hints towards you not having a very strong core for your body weight.
looking at the seated pics where you also have your arms locked when the saddle is both raised or dropped backs this up.
also if the last pic is with your saddle at full height it looks to be a little low. Too low a saddle does tend to tip your torso /back rearwards and more upright

In the fifth pic you seem to have your hair straighteners and cord tangled up in your brake cables,

By all means try the shorter stem but I wouldn't raise the bars any higher. They already look quite high.

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like in the end this is more of a issue revolving around being massively unfit and aggressive bike geo. The saddle is at its lowest position so I can raise the dropper quite a bit still.If I shouldn't raise the bars and reach still is an issue should I look into taking 20mm off them or getting same raise with backsweep?

As I watched the pictures, I agree. No need for a higher bar.

And remember to start stretching. I had a big problem reaching the road bike lower bar position, but this yoga Child's Pose Stretch helped a lot. 30 sec at a time is enough. At the beginning A couple of times a day and when you start to stretch once is enough, easy.
And if you’re excited about other stretching moves, search for Yoga for cycling

Yeah I'll start a stretching routine

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
At this point you are scrounging for millimeters. Shorter stem definitely. I had to slam the seat all the way forward. Alot of seats are around 265 mm length, i found the 280 length helped climbing but also descending with a bit more space before it drops off in the back.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Now on 1/hr rides I'm feeling REALLY stretched while on the saddle in a uphill position and end up with upper back pain.
It's not going to make a vast difference, but if you're only on steady climbs, put your thumbs on top of the bars. This stops you gripping and using your arms to pull, which is probably causing you to curve your upper back and making things uncomfortable. With your thumbs on top you should relax your arms and upper back and your core should engage to support you. You should find all of your upper body more relaxed.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sounds like in the end this is more of a issue revolving around being massively unfit and aggressive bike geo. The saddle is at its lowest position so I can raise the dropper quite a bit still.If I shouldn't raise the bars and reach still is an issue should I look into taking 20mm off them or getting same raise with backsweep?
No. If you want a modem geometry mtb to work for you simply ride more and increase you're fitness, skills and core strength.
You don't look to be old or physically impaired.

Frirish

Aug 19, 2020
Carlow, Ireland
I am exactly 6 foot and went for an S4. At first it felt very long compare to my previous bike, but that definitely help on gnarly down trails.
My mate has an S3, Reach feel more like my previous bike, but the seat tube is way too small.

I see on your picture your seat post is fully slammed in the tube. Mine is at least 15cm out of the tube, and I am only an inch taller than you. Maybe raising it up will help with your posture?

Anyway, lucky this bike as a motor, otherwise, it's definitely not the best pedaling bike, and it's not what it's meant to do.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
To the OP - the ergon enduro saddle has longer rails which lets you slide the seat fwd a cm or so more than the stock saddle. Noticeable difference in my situation. It may help if you find the other suggestions don’t fix it for you.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles