Levo Gen 3 New brakes... What does everyone run?

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
Hi all,

Looking at replacing the Code R on my Levo and to be honest Im not sure what to go for.

The reason for wanting to replce the Codes is down to the fact they seem to be high maintenance, requiring a bleed after less then 100 miles and worn through a set of rear pads already. I have to keep pumping them to get a decent feel which isn't always ideal when barreling down a trail.

In the past I have run Magura MT7 which were good but constantly rubbed, Shimano XT no issues, Saints really good and older stuff like hayes 9, hope mini etc.

I could easily settle on another set of saints but after reading some more recent reviews it seems they have been caught up in power terms by the like of hope, hayes and formula.

Quite like the look of Hope Tech 4 v4 but seem very expensive
The Hayes Dominion A4 sound good too but I've heard its a faff to get the larger diameter hose through the frame.
Apparently the Formula Cura are meant to be good but not seen many reviews.
Then there is the Lewis brake that has recently popped up, apparently super powerful but unknown reliability?

Im a heavier rider so need all the power I can get to be honest. Used to like the on/off feel of previous shimano brakes but could get past that if the new brakes are good.

What are you guys running and how do they compare to the Code R?

Am I better off sticking to saints or should I consider one of the above at the extra expense?

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I have been running the MT7's on all bikes for the last 5 years. I like them but I know not everyone does.
Shimano XT's are a fit-and-forget but are too on-off for my liking.
The hayes were tempting (Purple) but I had already purchased the Racelines for the new bike.
then the Lewis ones looked really nice, and good value too. standard brake pads that you can get anywhere does have its appeal too!

If I was buying again, i'd be tempted by the Lewis ones.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I swapped to Hope Tech 4 V4s on my Levo, they’re probably the best brakes I’ve ran in a long time. I had the old Tech 3s and wasn’t impressed with them at all but these new ones are really good. I’m planning to eventually swap my other bikes over once I decide which ones I’m actually going to keep.

FWIW, I got my Hopes for less than the Dominons A4s. They’re usually on sale somewhere if you shop around.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have had Shimano XT, 4 piston, finned resin pads BR-M8120 on my current and previous emtb and their 2-piston equivalent on previous mtb bikes for quite some time (finned and unfinned).

As long as new pads get bedded in properly, I have had virtually zero problems and that includes needing to bleed the brakes. Basically it's fit and forget. I don't count external contamination as a manufacturer problem.

Going back years now, whenever other riders have had a go on my bike, none have ever said that the brakes were poor, a few have said they were so fierce they were almost off the bike. I guess that hints at the on/off comment made earlier by @VWsurfbum Whenever people said the Shimano brakes were too fierce, I had assumed that the brakes on their own bike were not good. I accept that may instead mean that their brakes were more progressive than mine. I have never found the Shimano XT brakes to be too fierce or on/off in nature. They give me a nice lever pull ending in a firm stop just before my fingers get crushed against the grips. I guess it's what you get used to.

mtbbiker

Sep 15, 2018
Murrieta
I’ve used Shimano: XT, XTR and Saints, they work well with the Saints being the strongest out of the Shimano lineup. Powerful, enough modulation for me and didn’t fade. Easy to work, bleed and get parts.

I’m currently on Dominion A4s and love them, running them with Magura MDR 220 rotors front and back. By far the best brakes I’ve used. Slightly stronger than the Shimano offering and better modulation. Yes, it did take some effort to squeeze them through my Levo and Kenevo, but worth it.

My brother is on Magura MT7 and loves them. I tried his bike and wow; those brakes are as powerful or slightly stronger than the Dominion A4. He’s had no issues so far with his Maguras.

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
shimano issues…. The levers have an open piston, crash in a mud pit and the lever starts sticking …. Go ahead ask me how I know this… it’s happened twice to me. The second is sometimes an air bubble will get stuck in the caliper and you can spend hours with every device known to man to get the brakes to firm up….. go ahead, ask me how I know this…..:rolleyes: if I was going to buy a new brake set, it would probably be Haynes

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
If your happy with a little fiddle, Shimano xt master cylinder's and magura MT7 Calipers, Full magura is good enough braking, but the levers will ocasionally throw themselves on the floor for no reason, Like a tantrum.. The shagura's are sharp and strong.
If no faff wanted and you want something a bit more progressive, Get the new Hope's, Not used them but plenty seem to like them

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I have been running the MT7's on all bikes for the last 5 years. I like them but I know not everyone does.
Shimano XT's are a fit-and-forget but are too on-off for my liking.
The hayes were tempting (Purple) but I had already purchased the Racelines for the new bike.
then the Lewis ones looked really nice, and good value too. standard brake pads that you can get anywhere does have its appeal too!

If I was buying again, i'd be tempted by the Lewis ones.
+1 for Magura MT7's. Got them on 2 bikes, and have had them for about 4 years now. Great balance of power and modulation. Some go with Shigura (hybrid of Shimano levers / Magura calipers) because they don't like the Magura levers.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Another awesome set-up would be the TRP DH Evos, they seem to be the choice for most of the WC DH teams. I was at Fort William and a good 80% of the riders were using them. I had originally ordered them but canceled after some shipping issues and went with the Hopes.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
2,000 miles and have never had to bleed my Shimano 4 pot brakes.

Biggest performance improvement was going from 200mm to 220mm rotors.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
2,000 miles and have never had to bleed my Shimano 4 pot brakes.

Biggest performance improvement was going from 200mm to 220mm rotors.
Probably because shimano's use mineral oil which is hydrophobic so doesnt absorb water

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Regardless of which type of brake fluid is required, trapped air in the braking system can cause a number of problems. Mt7’s are notorious for this.

After the initial bleed, take the bike for a short bumpy ride. Any small or trapped air bubbles will rise through the system to the master cylinder (brake lever). A mini-bleed may then be required. Break in your new brake pads during this process.

Works for me🤷‍♂️.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Regardless of which type of brake fluid is required, trapped air in the braking system can cause a number of problems. Mt7’s are notorious for this.

After the initial bleed, take the bike for a short bumpy ride. Any small or trapped air bubbles will rise through the system to the master cylinder (brake lever). A mini-bleed may then be required. Break in your new brake pads during this process.

Works for me🤷‍♂️.
Bleeding a Rear thumb brake "small master & pot, big calliper" will test any mans bleeding skills... The key is elevate the bleed end, Do the day before you need it, Use a Cable tie to pull the lever into the bar, this opens up the master cylinder so lets any last bits of air out. But yes flicking lines, callipers does help.
The point i was making is dot absorbes water "so needs bleeding regular" mineral Doesn't absorb water so Doesn't need regular bleeding. Doubt the dude rode 2000 miles with air in the system.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Hayes Dominion on 220mm rotors front and rear over here. Shimano power with SRAM modulation is a winner for me, I just wish they used mineral oil instead of brake fluid.

DOT 5.1 is just pretty unpleasant stuff.

No hydraulic brake using 5.1 will need bleeding because the fluid has absorbed water, it'll be because of air in the system.

Last edited:

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
Canyon Spectral With Shimano XTR 9120 - 203mm XTR rotor
Canyon Torque with Magura MT7 Raceline caliper & Shimano XTR 9120 levers - Magura 203mm rotors

Dirt jumper with Magura MT7 Raceline caliper & Shimano XTR 9120 levers - Magura 180mm rotors (only rear brake)
Trail bike With Shimano XTR 9120 - 180mm XTR rotor

like the feeling from the Magura & Shimano combination. Also the full Shimano setup..

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
Hayes Dominion on 220mm rotors front and rear over here. Shimano power with SRAM modulation is a winner for me, I just wish they used mineral oil instead of brake fluid.

DOT 5.1 is just pretty unpleasant stuff.

No hydraulic brake using 5.1 will need bleeding because the fluid has absorbed water, it'll be because of air in the system.
How do you rate them and was it a pain getting the rear hose through the frame and chainstay?

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen

DOT 5.1 is hydroscopic so doesn't absorb water, it's just pretty unpleasant stuff.

Horses for courses on this point, DOT definately loses performance from absorbing water, i like most, bled my brakes after 3, 4 race meetings, and you would feel the difference in stopping power. DOT is better than a DOT & Water mix, Pretty sure it's part of the service my amarok is having next, Think all manufacturers change fluid every 2 years or so.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
How do you rate them
I think they're bloody brilliant, but after Code Rs cantis would feel good...

It's the first brake swap I've done so I've nothing to compare it to, but it went OK; not easy, but not particularly difficult either.
It's a Kenevo SL and I took the motor and shock off to increase access.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Pretty sure it's part of the service my amarok is having next, Think all manufacturers change fluid every 2 years or so.
Changing fluid is not the same as a bleed...

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Hope T4 V4 for me. But in truth any high end brake is going to suit you. MT7, Saint etc etc.

Hopes are easy to bleed, and are serviceable, which few of the others are. Worse for servicing is Shimano, and if it fails or leaks, then all you really can do is throw them away and buy another lever/caliper

I like Hope because A.Ive always used Hope(from C2 onwards) and B. I've never had any leaks or problems that werent easy to sort.
I also like Hope because they no longer had a seal for an early brake(V2 generation 1- they actually changed the design very early on, though there are a few of gen 1 models about, what is available is gen2 and gen3) so because they couldnt supply a single caliper seal, they sent me a new pair of gen3 V2 calipers free gratis.

I know any other company would have said 'Sorry about that, bye now' or offered a slight discount. They wouldnt have stuck a couple of brand new calipers in a package and sent it to your house.
That was a very pleasant surprise.

DOT 5.1 is hydroscopic so doesn't absorb water, it's just pretty unpleasant stuff.
And it doesn't taste very nice either.

Last edited:

iadmtb

Jan 23, 2023
Thousand Oaks, CA
TRP DHR Evo. I’ve used pretty much all models of the Shimano brakes and a few SRAM, and none of their brakes are as good as the TRP DHR Evo’s. The DHR’s overall modulation, braking power, reliability, and ease of installation, is second to none in my opinion. I use DHR Evo’s on all of my bikes. My buddies have converted to DHRs as well and we won’t run anything else. I also use MTX red pads and 223/203 rotors as well.

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Changing fluid is not the same as a bleed...
Uh ??. So... DOT 5.1 "IS" hygroscopic, just like 3 and 4... Dot 5 is hydroscopic, silicone based so is the odd one out, And should not be mixed with the rest, i see youve done at least one change, So should know It's exactly the same job, you bleed fluid, you bleed air... Same job Unless ur david Blaine...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles